Next Virtual Tasting

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

What would you like to taste in the next Virtual Tasting?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Ferreira LBV 99
6%
Dow's Crusted Port bottled 99
88%
Noval's 10 year old tawny
6%
Sandeman Imperial Tawny
No votes

Total votes: 17

Frederick Blais

Next Virtual Tasting

Post by Frederick Blais »

Ok, now many of you have participated into the Virtual tasting concept and I really find interesting to have all these diverse opinions. Here is what I'd suggest for the next month. I hope these wines are available for most of you.

Ferreira LBV 99, a really nice LBV I had a couple of times so far. Not showing concentration put lots of florals and fresh berries notes, hard to resist to a second glass.

We can also explore the world of Crusted Port, Dow's was named recently on this forum

We can also come back to 10 year old tawny as it was the first topic of Virtual tasting but since it was late in the month not that many participated.

Or go for a non-dated tawny.

What do you think?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I voted for the Dow "Crusted" before even reading Fred's posting. I think it would be an eye opener for those that have never experienced one. I do not think that the '99 is going to be all that easy to single out though. There might still be bottles from an older vintage still on shelves in plenty of spots. What if the vintage of the Dow's Crusted was different? Just wondering out loud.

I am sure that winesearcher.com is going to be busy, where useful. Now that Mr. Blais has a few of these under his belt (the Virtual Tastings), I will participate and add my two cents after lots of others have already chimed in.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

I did also vote for the Crusted Port as this is probably the kind of port that I do not often taste. I've only had Graham's and Dow's so far.

About availability and different bottling dates, I have no problem with that Roy. Actually we can even extend it to Crusted Port only virtual tasting meaning we can have people talk about different houses; of course in the eventuality that this is the winner.

Lets see what others have to say too.

I'm really glad to see that you are going to jump in and comments the wine too Roy, muito obrigado :)
John Conwell
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by John Conwell »

I just recently picked up a 99 Dow Crusted Port, so thats an easy vote for me. I've been trying to decide which bottle to open next anyway :-)
Thanks, John C
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

The Dow's Crusted Port sounds interesting so I voted for it too. Hopefully I can find a bottle locally.

What does everyone think of doing a horizontal for one of these virtual tastings?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I also voted Dow Crusted before reading the comments above, principaly because I have not yet tried Crusted Port but also because I have never seen Ferreira LBV or Sandeman Imperial Tawny off the shelf in the UK.

Derek
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

I am able to get the Dow's and Noval, so either of those would be fine. May I also suggest the Krohn 2001 LBV or maybe their 1994 Colheita?
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

I voted for the Dow's crusted...this will be my first crusted also
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've voted for the Crusted as the next victim of the tasting. I have a bottle of the Dow 2000 bottling, but I will hunt around over the next week or two and see if I can find a bottle of the 1999.

If I can, I will buy it, even if this doesn't end up as being the wine we taste.

Alex
Last edited by Al B. on Mon May 22, 2006 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

That crusted also caught my eye without reading the comments. I voted for the Dow's Crusted. I bought two of these last year because I had never tried a crusted port yet. Well, I still have not gotten around to openning one yet, so this would be a great excuse 8)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Being a Democrat in Parker County, Texas, I always vote in the minority so voted for the Ferreira. It is always an underrated house and I always find them great. I can deal with the Dow crusted if necessary. I deal with Republicans in Parker County, many of whom are my friends.
I think I can deal with the Dow crusted easiser than I can deal with Republicans. :wink:
Richard Henderson
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Dow's Crusted - it is not my favorite, but it will be interesting to taste it again.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bump!

Just putting this back in the top of threads as we get closer the end of the month.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
*John Trombley

Dow Crusted

Post by *John Trombley »

The last one I tasted (about a year ago) was actually not the best example of a crusted port, but the interest generated might perhaps get the import companies off their duff to get some of the stuff in here. About 10 years ago Graham had a beauty that was imported and sold in Michigan, which unfortunately I drank up far too soon. It truly was ageworthy.

How are you defining a 'bottling' of crusted porto, and how do you obtain that information?
Best, John Trombley Piqua (Miami County, on the Miami-Erie Canais, OH)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I bought my bottle today at a local supermarket. The '99 Dow Crusted was $25.99. I look forward to the tasting. When is the actual event?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

Any day in June will do

Derek
Frederick Blais

Next month is June, so from the 1st of June you can post your comments. Looking foward for your participation Roy !
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

How long will I need to let the bottle sit undisturbed before opening?
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Personally, I would give it at least 2-3 days and a week if I could manage to.

But it does depend on whether you filter or decant off the sediment. I decant.

Alex