2003 Quinta do Portal Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

2003 Quinta do Portal Vintage Port

Post by Todd Pettinger »

This is the first VP i have opened up in over half a year. It is in a 375ml bottle, so not sure just what to expect at this point in the Port's development. Deep, dark, intense purple colour. Some spirit on the nose attacked early but subsided a few hours later. I somewhat expected a sleeping baby but am pleasantly surprised with a smooth, deep berry and intense grape flavor. You can sense the tannins lurking in the background, waiting to be coaxed out. Some dark chocolate and blueberry on the mid palate. Short, curt, acidic finish. I'm going to try to report back on this over the next couple of days as this guy is way too young to consume all in one sitting as would be a typical holiday Monday evening at my house. ;)
Todd Pettinger

Re: 2003 Portal VP

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Day two... Not much has changed, although the Port is much more floral on the nose. The almost fresh blueberries yesterday have been muted. Overall, it is primary but soft. Not overly complex.

I now know what a sleeping 8 year old VP is like. 8--)
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

No change on day three.

Day four actually saw this open up, more floral and easy drinking. A trace of mineral in the mid-palate, but smooth and very very nice. It's a pity the 375 is empty now.... It was just getting interesting.

This one is definitely slumbering folks... Leave it alone for another 10 years!!! 8--)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As a cask sample this stood out and above the vast majority of VP's from 2003. It was in the top half dozen of all and remains an amazing youthful VP with tons of upside growth ahead. Ten years from now, it will still taste like a youngster, and that is the only downside. This really will start to show its best after age 30. I hate when that happens.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote:As a cask sample this stood out and above the vast majority of VP's from 2003. It was in the top half dozen of all and remains an amazing youthful VP with tons of upside growth ahead. Ten years from now, it will still taste like a youngster, and that is the only downside. This really will start to show its best after age 30. I hate when that happens.
I may not be around when this VP reaches 30-35yrs old, but my son will LOVE it!, 8--)