Boston Bruins

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

Re: Boston Bruins

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Brian C. wrote:We were just stunned by the hit on Horton. Vancouver has the talent to win, I just don't know why they feel the need to dish out as many cheap shots as they do. Whenever they take it too far, it ultimately comes back to bite them (no pun intended). I think they would have swept Chicago if not for the Torres hit on Seabrook, and I think they would have at least had a much better result tonight if Rome didn't lay out Horton so unnecessarily tonight. If the NHL does nothing after reviewing that hit, they might as well revoke the rules they made regarding hits like that.

Tim Thomas, not enough can be said about him. Great competitor, and a class act all the way.
Agreed Brian... Vancouver has a few idiots who seem happy to throw stones at the wasp nests. I completely agree with your assessment of the Chicago series, Torres doesn't lay out Seabrook like he did and quite possibly, Chicago continues to not muster much resistance and get swept.

I suspect there will be a suspension for Rome on the hit. There almost HAS to be, although honestly, I wish there wouldn't be because it might be enough to piss the Bruins off for the next three games. Hockey is a game of emotion, make no mistake about it. From the Bruins perspective, if there was no suspension, that might be a helluva rallying point and they could ride that emotional wave for at least another two games.

In fairness, I do have to throw this out there though: as much as I loved the Thomas hit on Sedin, that was a penalty. The goaltender is allowed to defend his crease (reasonably) but is not allowed to come out and make a play on the player. He is protected and can't be hit, either inside or outside of his crease, and shouldn't be allowed to initiate a hit either. (as a ref I've actually called interference or roughing penalties on goalies in this exact situation, so although I cheered at the actual hit, i was surprised to not see a penalty on the call.) If i recall, it was Sutherland in that end and I believe he was caught offguard and was paralyzed, couldn't make the call.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Meh, meant to make one last point... Am I the only one who thinks Alain Vigneault should be fired for leaving Luongo in there for eight? I mean, if you don't pull him at the end of the second, you HAVE to pull him after the fifth.

Brutal!
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I wondered why he left Luongo in there, too. Is Schneider still hurt?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bruins are going to continue to light up Luongo now that his confidence has been rocked and the Bruins aren't timid against him. I hope the fire from the Norton hits keeps the B's charge to victory.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Todd,

Here is the video of Thomas checking Sedin: http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-bruin ... -vs-bruins

I'm know you know the rules much better than I do. My question is whether or not it matters if Sedin's skates are in the crease at the time of the check.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Obviously the Bruins fans are going to come out and make some noise after last night's slaughter of the Canucks. Who can blame you guys after feeling like beaten horses :beat: the first two games, losing in brutal O/T goals in both cases. As a Vancouver fan, I have to admit that late hit on Horton was not only unnecessary, but it was violent and they shouldn't let Rome play again in the Finals. The league must protect these types of head shots as we're seeing more and more repurcussions from concussions with detailed studies being done by/for the NFL. There was absolutely NO point in taking such a blind shot, even though I know friends who said it was what VAN needed to shut up the crowd. I disagree vehemently and although I love to watch righteous hits, I also like 'em clean and not blind at high speed where one skater leaves the ice to ensure maximum brutality. Absolutely stupid.

I think that Luongo has always been somewhat suspect, even though he played brilliantly for the first two games and one period into the third. After that, it was a debacle and not unlike other times this year or even during the earlier rounds before the Sharks' series. Anyway, let's see if he can do what he says and just forget last night. Lots of great goalies have the ability to do that. Thomas was brilliant on Monday night, kudos for making some incredible saves. However, I do agree that if he is freelancing outside of the crease, that he could have been called for interference and should have been. Bad non-call, but that all evens out in a series, so no big deal. It wouldn't have mattered as the Canucks couldn't buy a goal when they had a man advantage in power plays, seemingly a ton of times (both combined for 125 penalty mins.). Chara was much better last night and he and Thomas really needed to step up their games. Still not all that impressed YET with Chara in this series. Fun to see the gloves come off in the 3rd and see Kesler and Seidenberg go at one another ... very lame fighters indeed. Anyway, I am pleased that Boston did not choke and won a key game 3 victory, so that this series will now mean something and both have a shot at winning. I did not want to see Boston swept and would much rather see a prolonged and brilliant series between these two excellent teams.

Tomorrow should be really interesting. My feeling is that they will leave Boston tied up at 2 games apiece. Game 5's winner ... will win the Cup. Just my prediction. No Todd, I am not going to bet you. [berserker.gif]

[rotfl.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Moses Botbol wrote:Bruins are going to continue to light up Luongo now that his confidence has been rocked and the Bruins aren't timid against him. I hope the fire from the Horton hits keeps the B's charge to victory.
Certainly seemed like the theme last night. Luongo's confidence was rocked! Bruins have taken off their skirts and playing the way they should. I would like to see them play a little cleaner; no need for so many penalties.
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I kind of expected this result. If the Hawks series was any indication, it takes at least another game for Luongo to bounce back. Last time, he only got back in there because Schneider pulled his groin on that penalty shot goal by Frolik. Vancouver gets home ice for Game 5, so I don't expect the momentum to remain quite as it's been. They would get a big boost if Hamhuis returns. In the meantime, Vancouver has to solve Thomas. That remains the big mystery for them.

I agree that Boston took some unnecessary penalties, particularly the double minor on Marchand at the end. I don't think Boston needs to give the Canucks any motivation of that sort. Save it for the regular season meeting next year. The Hawks waited until this year's regular season meeting with the Flyers to handle Scott Hartnell, when Brian Bickell pummeled him.

I had to laugh when Vigneault sent out a line of LaPierre, Torres, and Burrows. Makes me wonder how much the coach is involved in having the team play as dirty as they do.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well so far my prediction is correct. I believe that the only team that could win in 6 is Boston, but I don't believe that's going to happen. No way Vancouver wins the next two in a row either. So they each win at home and then go back to Vancouver for one of the greatest game 7 grand finales of our lifetime. Just a prediction and it is certainly plausible.

Luongo should remain in goal at least in Game 5, for sure. Hamhuis ... IF he returns would go a long way to helping the faltering D of the Canucks which look tired (thanks to Rome's stupidity). I saw that shown over and over in slo mo and now I've changed my mind. The hit is definitely late, but it is only 1 second late, no more than that. Blind side yes, but you can't go skating in the middle of the rink crossing the blue line looking down or behind you. That is asking for it and had that hit been even 1/2 second earlier, not only wouldn't Rome be out for the series, I don't think it would have been a penalty. However, it was late and that is why he's now sitting. In retrospect, trying to be a realist and considering the treatment others have received for a similar type of hit this season and especially in the playoffs, the suspension probably should only have been one game. In reality, it makes little difference.

As previously mentioned, unless they can figure out a way to obscure the view of Thomas or get someone to stand tough and make some key deflections ... or even get some crossing passes with guys right in the lane that can snap them upstairs instead of on the ice ... series over. My best buddy up in Vancouver told me right after the Sharks were beaten, that Boston would be much tougher to play in the finals SPECIFICALLY because of Thomas' play as a goalie. As we've seen in previous years, the hot goalie can sometimes take the weaker team, all the way to the Cup. I am not saying Boston is the weaker team ... definitely not ... just saying that before this series, my friend nailed the crux of the bisquit.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

:soapbox: I believe Rome's hit on Horton had clear intent to injure. He left his feet, his skates pointed east-west for a time, and the elbow was extended into the hit. One second late can be an eternity. Horton lifted his head up but he had no chance. He had to make the pass and when he was sure it was going to the intended player, he swiveled back, but there was no time. Whether or not Horton had his head up at all is irrelevant, though. The fact of the matter is that the hit was dirty and the intent was clear. There has to be a reasonable assumption that opponents are not playing with malicious intent.

Ask yourself if Niklas Lidstrom would have done that, and how he would have defended against Horton. I doubt even Pronger would have gone that far. It seems like that is the mantra that comes out of Vancouver every time they make a dirty play, that the other guy didn't have his head up, that he was admiring his pass, etc. In reality, the hit was incredibly dirty. It is impossible for any player to never be in a vulnerable spot. Pucks need to be played, and players need to have a modicum of respect for one another. Raffi Torres has no respect, Hamhuis had no respect for Bolland when he palmed his head into the glass in Bolland's first game back after a concussion, and Rome had no respect for Horton. Burrows doesn't have any respect for anybody, either. I will never believe that Vancouver plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. It's too bad, because they are the best team in hockey, and they don't need to play this way in order to win. I still think they would have swept Chicago if they played a clean game, and I think they probably would have this series well in hand if not for the hit on Horton.

If anything, I thought four games wasn't enough. What has happened in past rulings should not be the guide. The NHL isn't going to step up in a big way until someone's career ends due to this nonsense, it seems. Even then, I'm not so sure. I think they realize that their disciplinary action has been relatively soft, and their laxness finally had a price. Nobody pays to see Raffi Torres and Aaron Rome play hockey, and it's time the NHL realizes that. Slapshot is a funny movie, but that's what it needs to remain, a movie.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Brian C. wrote:Ask yourself if Niklas Lidstrom would have done that, and how he would have defended against Horton. I doubt even Pronger would have gone that far.
Uh oh... ask an Edmonton fan's opinion of Pronger??? :Naughty: :Naughty: My own belief is Pronger would take that shot, with the intent to punish. I say it not because I hate Pronger for wussing out on my beloved Oilers and setting our cause back five years, but because Pronger has demonstrated in the past that his judgement-making in situations like this is not stellar.
Brian C. wrote:Raffi Torres has no respect, Hamhuis had no respect for Bolland when he palmed his head into the glass in Bolland's first game back after a concussion, and Rome had no respect for Horton. Burrows doesn't have any respect for anybody, either. I will never believe that Vancouver plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. It's too bad, because they are the best team in hockey, and they don't need to play this way in order to win. I still think they would have swept Chicago if they played a clean game, and I think they probably would have this series well in hand if not for the hit on Horton.
I agree with everything you've said here Brian. I also agree (grudgingly of course!) :) that the 'Nucks are the best team in the league this year. They definitely would've swept the Blackhawks if not for the Seabrook hit, which awoke Chicago. Chicago simply started too deep in the hole, down 3-0. I was "delighted" that the Bruin's got their motivation at 2-0 rather than 3-0. They may have taken a step back in their comeback, but I feel they have enough room for that one loss. I think the Bruins will win game 6 and all bets are off for game 7.

Roy is right though, it will be a helluva game and series - possibly one of the most entertaining Stanely Cup finals in years. [yahoo.gif] :clap:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Well, what a Final... The hockey gods have blessed us with a decent series (would be better if not for all this cheap trash about biting, headshots, goalies being run, stupid penalties being taken and the likes) and a fantastic setup for game seven.

I am still hoping for the Bruins but fully understand the history and the advantage that home rink and last change brings the Canucks. I just hope the hockey gods see fit to smite the Canucks like the basketball gods smote "king jame$" and the Heat. :wink: [beg.gif]

Regardless of my personal feelings, here's hoping for a clean, well-played, exciting game seven! [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Todd Pettinger wrote:I just hope the hockey gods see fit to smite the Canucks like the basketball gods smote "king jame$" and the Heat. :wink: [beg.gif]
Smite the Canucks like the 1st born in Exodus. Pulling Louongo in the 1st period after telling Thomas how to play goal the day before...
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Lol... Good analogy ;)

We'll see if homecrowd advantage and a couple nights of sleep has "Lubrongo" singing any different tunes tomorrow.
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Win or lose, Thomas deserves the Conn Smythe Trophy. I enjoyed seeing Luongo chased in the first period after having critiqued Thomas' performance in Game 5. They just can't stop making it hard on themselves, it seems.

Poor Mason Raymond. I can only hope he recovers from that injury. I have heard the Vancouver GM say that Boychuk pulled a "can opener" move on him, and that's why he got hurt. I never heard any such talk during the game by anybody, and I haven't seen an angle that clearly damns Boychuk. Todd, what do you think happened on this play? Should a penalty have been called, at the very least?

Marchand needs to stop with the stupid penalties. The Bruins let up in the third period, I thought. Vancouver easily could have made it more interesting with an extra favorable bounce or two.

I think Vancouver might have given themselves a little bit of momentum with that finish. It remains to be seen if it materializes that way tomorrow night. And I'm curious to see what the postgame handshake ritual will be like, given all the bad blood that's developed in this series already.
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Kerry Fraser weighs in on the Boychuk/Raymond controversy and other subjects pertaining to the series: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this- ... fend-sedin
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I could care less what Fraser thinks. Raymond's hit absolutely deserved a penalty call on BoyUpChuck. For those that say no and then say that Rome's hit deserved more than four games ... I will never curse here on FTLOP but let's just say, we disagree. :evil:

As to the Smythe trophy, absolutely we know who deserves that one. Luongo will just have to be satisfied with his 10 million dollars/year and shut up and play better.

That said, I have no doubt we'll not see a repeat performance. At least not a repeat of Game 6. I do believe Luongo (a tale of 2 goalies) will be up to his Vancouver self, as per the turnaround in game 5. If he can't get up for this ... nothing matters.

This has been a really chippy series and the refs have let them play. But the calls have been uneven on both sides of the ice. I have not appreciated some badly blown non-calls to both teams. But so what. It is game 7 and what happened the first 6 games, is almost a moot point. The fact that the Canucks are down Hamhuis, Rome and Raymond on D, that is really going to be tough. Again, no excuses and nothing matters except how this game is played, and the outcome.

I've read in Boston how they think that Vancouver is the dirty team, but hey ... they need to look in the mirror too. They're EVERY bit as chippy and brutal so I don't want to hear their whining nonesense about this series. Shut up and play yer game.

May the home ice advantage play out once again. I truly hope that the Bruins have a miserable and quiet flight all the way back to where they came from. :beat: <===== Boston Black n Blue'uns

What do you think ... tonight ... first goal decides the winner?

Go Vancouver!!!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:I truly hope that the Bruins have a miserable and quiet flight all the way back to where they came from. :beat: <===== Boston Black n Blue'uns

What do you think ... tonight ... first goal decides the winner?

Go Vancouver!!!
Wow, that was an unpleasent read... :mad:

I hope the Bruins show 'em how to really play hockey. I agree first goal should decide the winner.
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Boston is one of the most penalized teams in the NHL. The check that Chara made in the regular season against Montreal, man that was ugly. I just can't believe they did nothing regarding that play, either. I know Chara isn't a repeat offender of any kind, but man was that brutal. It's gross negligence at best. I think Boston has at times sunk to Vancouver's level. When Marchand repeatedly punched Sedin, that was ridiculous. I'm not a fan of the Sedins, but come on, have a little bit of self control. Save it for a real fighter, at least, and be prepared for the Bieksa comparisons if you can't refrain. As for Boychuk on Raymond, I posted Fraser's comments because he is the most respected NHL ref of my lifetime. Fraser did say a penalty should have been called, it should be noted. That's a guy who has seen it all, has and he said no suspension. I'm not saying he speaks for me. I think it's an opinion that carries a lot of weight, though.

I think the difference between that play and the Rome hit on Horton is the obviousness factor. There was no awareness at the time that this could be a spinal related injury, because if there was, they never would have allowed Raymond to get up and stand on his skates. At the time, our speculation was that it was a tailbone injury. And I have never heard of a can opener maneuver in hockey before. If it's clear that Boychuk deliberately ran Raymond into the boards with the same malicious intent that Rome had when clocking Horton, then I would certainly think a suspension is warranted. I'm saying that I don't know. It seemed like a freak accident. How often has this injury occurred in hockey, and did Boychuk have any clue that this is what could have happened? I think those questions need to be answered in order to ascertain the proper punishment.

At this point I'm trying to understand the play that occurred more than anything. I don't have tons of love for the Bruins. I'm a fan of Tim Thomas, but that's about as far as it goes. I never get to watch them during the regular season, save for the annual game against Hawks, so I don't really have any strong attachment to the club. I have strong opinions about Vancouver, I'll be the first to admit it, though.

I expect a close game tonight, with very few goals, so first goal wins is very likely.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Brian,

I fully agree, Boychuk did NOT deserve to be thrown out for game 7, a suspension would have been overkill. A 4 minute penalty was definitely in order though. Boychuk knew he folded over Raymond and continued to drive him into the boards. I don't think he could have envisioned a spinal injury that will sideline Raymond through the beginning of next season though.

Your man Thomas deserves the Smythe trophy and should win it, UNLESS Luongo shutsout the Bruins tonight for the third time this series. Then a good argument could be made, but I obviously believe Thomas is the far more consistent goalie. Winning has a way of swaying opinion though, so if the Bruins win, it is a certainty. Watching him brilliantly clog the net this series has been a treat to watch. I have tons of respect for him and he's the only player on the team I can stomach.

Moses,

I know it was probably in jest but your comment for a 7th game in a contentious series like this, is funny. Boston has been every bit as dirty and chippy as Vancouver and the real fighting didn't get started until game 3 in Boston. Until then it was a very different style in the first two games. Boston is bigger and stronger and more intimidating and some of the nonsense like poking gloves in the face of Burrows (although he bit the bait) was bad, but then the ongoing fingers in his face should never have been allowed. If refs were doing their job the way they typically do, that crap should never have been tolerated. Same goes for Kesler messing with the stick of Thomas. I am open to criticize both teams. Both have dropped the level of play into a dirty final series.

Hopefully tonight, with EVERYTHING on the line, players will be smart and talented thugs like Marchand and Thornton, as well as Bieksa and Torres, are smart enough to play a cleaner game w/out stupid penalties. One dumb penalty can help the other team to literally win the Cup at this point. Hopefully both coaches will drill that point home. I'd love to see a well skated, good hard and clean forechecking game and let the offense and defense, more so the goalies ... decide who is the deserving team.