New 2nd edition of Cossart's Madeira: The Island Vineyard

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Jennings
Location: Mountain View, California, United States of America - USA

New 2nd edition of Cossart's Madeira: The Island Vineyard

Post by Richard Jennings »

I thought forum members might be interested in seeing my book review of this terrific resource on Madeira that I posted to my blog yesterday. Here's the link: http://www.rjonwine.com/vintage-madeira ... -vineyard/

The new edition is published by The Rare Wine Co., and contains new introductory material by Mannie Berk, including a very informative biography of Noel Cossart, as well as great new appendices. The most important of these is a detailed summary of auction prices, listed by vintage, for vintage Madeiras sold over the past forty years.
Eric Ifune

Re: New 2nd edition of Cossart's Madeira: The Island Vineyard

Post by Eric Ifune »

Am in the middle of my copy!
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I've finished the book. Very interesting account by someone who was involved for many years while the the business was consolidating. The prices and vintages/soleras are hard to believe.

The story about the stolen wine and the thieves' throwing it away because it wasn't sweet was sad.
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I would love to read your review Richard, but I can't! I'm writing a review right now for publication in the Wayward Tendrils quarterly. I don't want to take a chance on any overlap, no matter how unintentioned. After it gets published, I'll take a look at yours.

However, I can definitely report that it's a great book. Mannie's appendices really add to an already informative volume.
Richard Jennings
Location: Mountain View, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Richard Jennings »

John Danza wrote:I would love to read your review Richard, but I can't! I'm writing a review right now for publication in the Wayward Tendrils quarterly. I don't want to take a chance on any overlap, no matter how unintentioned. After it gets published, I'll take a look at yours.

However, I can definitely report that it's a great book. Mannie's appendices really add to an already informative volume.
John,
I look forward to reading your review. Please let us know when it's available.
--Richard
John Danza

Post by John Danza »

Richard Jennings wrote:John,
I look forward to reading your review. Please let us know when it's available.
--Richard
Sure will Richard. Are you (or others reading this) a member of The Wayward Tendrils? For those who may not know, it's a group established around the collecting of wine-related books. They don't have a website, but you can get more information by contacting the founder Gail Unzelman at [email protected]. There is a quarterly publication that's always very good.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, I have it as well and it is a fascinating read. Love the stories and indepth look at the island and its treasures. If you like Madeira, you should own this book!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Danza

Post by John Danza »

I can finally post my review, as it was published this week by the Wayward Tendrils. You can find a copy of the review here.
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Yes, I got it also.. Super excellent..

I am one of those lucky guys who managed to buy the first and only edition from Christie's in 2001.

I bought two copies, one for storing in the best part in my bookshelf together with the first edition. Second copy
for regular use and "work copy" where I will make notes, spill madeira and/or coffe ... [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

John,

Do you mind if I put a copy of your review into the FTLOP newsletter? Email me if you will say it is ok. Thanks!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com