So who is your vote for overall best producer on the island?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

So who is your vote for overall best producer on the island?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Please allow me to qualify my question, so we're all on the same page:

Whether or not you ever been to the island, you can go by what you've tasted. However, the company must still exist to be included. Example, Acciaioly is no longer around and therefore, would not be able to be in the running here. Due to the fact that there are 4 shippers under the MWC umbrella, please pick the brand/shipper you prefer and not MWC. :thanks:

So if you could just choose one producer (that exists today), which one is your favorite of all?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: So who is your vote for overall best producer on the island?

Post by Frederick Blais »

I have limited experience to Madeira due to availability but Barbeito did always provide me great pleasure!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Based on current holdings? Or past ones?
Based on current holdings, have to be D'Oliveria. You can still get the 1850 Verdelho!
I've loved every old Blandy's I've ever had. I think their oldest still in stock is the 1920 Boal, however. It's wonderful, but their 19th C wines have been even more fabulous.
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

For me it is definitely D'Oliveira. They get my vote primarily based on the current availability of the 1850 Verdelho and 1875 Malvasia, two of my favorites from the 19th century. In addition, they offer many fantastic Madeiras from the early 20th century, and also one of the greatest Madeiras from the last 50 years; the 1968 Bual. In my opinion, their current holdings are unrivaled in both depth and quality. :salute:
Richard Jennings
Location: Mountain View, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Richard Jennings »

I have to agree with both Eric and Steve, for the reasons they've stated. If we're asking best producer of all time, it would be tough to choose between Blandy's and Cossart. If we're talking best current producer, it has to be D'Oliviera.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I vote for Henriques & Henriques, mostly based on their current production. The 10 and 15 year old wines are superb. From what Peter Reutter reported, the new 20 year wines appear to be continuing the quality. http://www.madeirawineguide.com/03event ... ting_2010/

The Imperial Malmsey that RWC sold was outstanding. I wish they had more.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any of H&H's vintages or soleras, but they're available and are always highly rated in reviews.

I think that H&H have a challenge with brand recognition because of limited availability in the US and confusion with Justino Henriques.

Gary
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am torn between Blandy's and D'Oliveiras.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Roy Hersh wrote:I am torn between Blandy's and D'Oliveiras.
Ha! Same here. But I can barely afford D'Oliveiras and can't afford Blandy's at all (for the old stuff). So I'll say D'Oliveiras. Loved the experience at their tasting room. I still remember the two Erics and I having them open a 1968 Bual for us.
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Like Roy, I would go with either D'Oliveira or Blandys. I would love to mention Henriques+Henriques, as I loved all of the few wines I've tried form them, but just not a lot of sample points.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA