FTLOP 6th ANNIV. PARTY - JULY 30th 2011

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

SAVE THE DATE - JULY 30th - FTLOP 6th ANNIV. PARTY

Post by Andy Velebil »

Andrew E wrote:I know this probably isn't for everybody,but would people be interested in having some cigars? I can pick up some from "an island" not too far from here for us to try. As for smoking them I would recommend them for the end along with some tawny or madeira so that they don't affect the wine.

I fully understand if there aren't enough people interested, but I figured I would put it out there.
Who am I to say no :) but I'll go along with whatever the group decides.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andrew E

Re: SAVE THE DATE - JULY 30th - FTLOP 6th ANNIV. PARTY

Post by Andrew E »

If we can get enough interest I can have some on the way by Monday so that they get some time to rest in the humidor.
Sandy Becker

Post by Sandy Becker »

Sorry guys, I run a healthy behaviors company that helps people quit using tobacco, so I'll pass on the cigars.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sandy Becker wrote:Sorry guys, I run a healthy behaviors company that helps people quit using tobacco, so I'll pass on the cigars.
Yes, but you should have a cigar so you truly understand their perspective [berserker.gif] :wink: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. Cigar smoke (and pipe smoke) don't usually bother me, but I avoid them as much as possible just the same.

That shouldn't stop you from enjoying a cigar after the tasting, though, since I'll be able to stay inside (or leave) when the tasting is done.
Glenn Elliott
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I'm more than likely available, probably +1 and I always bring cigars!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sean, glad you can make it.

Sandy, have NO fear, there will be no cigar smoking during the Port tasting whatsoever. Those that care to smoke cigars are certainly welcome to do so, AFTER the event ... outside.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

Roy Hersh wrote: Sandy, have NO fear, there will be no cigar smoking during the Port tasting whatsoever. Those that care to smoke cigars are certainly welcome to do so, AFTER the event ... outside.
Yes, and there's definitely an etiquette to cigar smoking and that is to never make those around you uncomfortable with your smoke/smoking, which is why I put a feeler out there first since port/madeira mix so well with cigars. I also don't want to derail this thread so should I link to another thread to get a head count? It usually takes about 1+ weeks for me to get any order I put in so the sooner I know the better.

Also, if the venue isn't conducive to the smoking (I don't mind being outside, 99% of the time that's where I enjoy a cigar) it's not a big deal.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: UPDATED 6/12 - JULY 30th - FTLOP 6th ANNIV. PARTY

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've updated the thread and also provided the fortified wine theme so please revisit the first post in this thread. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

DRAT! I forgot I was going to be at The Gorge for a concert that day and won't be able to make it. 2nd event I'm going to have to miss :(
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andrew,

Doh! [dash1.gif]

OK, I'd like to remind potential guests that the deadline for signing up is quickly approaching. Next week, I'll get in touch with all folks who are on the list and start discussing the wines for our party. Looking forward to seeing everyone! [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,
We're getting close to this event which I know will be a great time. Any updates as to where it will be, what Ports people have committed to bringing, etc?

Time is running short and the time for us to prepare is at hand....translated, if I/we need to source/retrieve something to fit into an emerging theme I/we need time to do that.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thank you all for your patience. There was work that had to be completed on the 2011 Port Harvest Tour before I could devote proper attention to the upcoming event.

I was considering Kaspar's in Seattle, Daniel's Broiler in Bellevue and our local Holiday Inn. To keep expenses down for those coming from out of town/state/country ... it wound up being any easy decision. We will have the larger room in the Holiday Inn Issaquah for Sat. July 30th and it is reserved for that evening.

Given the number of people and potential bottles/flight scenarios, I think it is best to start way early and not be rushed. So how about if everyone shows up at 3:30 p.m.? If those of you from out of town can get your bottle to me earlier by UPS/USPS ... then we could start having the room set beforehand. I think that we'll take a break mid-way through the event ... maybe 7:30 or so, after the Vintage Ports ... and I'll have dinner brought in for us. After the dinner break, we can then continue with Colheitas and if there are some Madeiras we can finish off with those at the end of the event.

I would appreciate it if all of you who were "tentative" could let me know immediately of your intentions to join us. I'd like to personally discuss wine selections with each of you and I've already started the process with several individuals by email, but I'm open to calling too. Please let me know what works best for you.

I can assure everyone, although this has dragged a bit for the past month, I am doing everything to have this party be something we'll always remember, for the people attending as well as the fortified selection brought by all. I will pay for the banquet room and all food for the evening., of course. :scholar: Guests just need to handle their own travel and lodging arrangements. Again, I thank you all for your patience and look forward to an amazing time on the 30th! [yahoo.gif]
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

Glenn E. wrote:
Melanie R. wrote:Please put me (tentatively) on the list as well. [cheers.gif]

Oh, and will there be a need for dessert at this party? I might be able to help out with that...
I saw from one of Roy's FB posts that you're training a new Sous Chef/Cake Decorator!
Yes, Taylor and I had fun. :D
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Melanie, you coming to the party for sure now? Because you need to and want to, come on, have some fun with other crazy Port lovers. How's that for a little peer pressure [cheers.gif] :lol:

Time to get the party started...I can't wait!!! :winebath: :winepour: [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

LOL, yes, I will be there. I'll be bringing dessert as well. Looking forward to it. :D
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Melanie R. wrote:LOL, yes, I will be there. I'll be bringing dessert as well. Looking forward to it. :D
Woohoo! I look forward to trying the dessert, but can it be lactose free, glutton free, kosher, fat and cholesterol free as well :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

You forgot sugar free, vegan, GMO-free and organic.. [rotfl.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Woohoo! I look forward to trying the dessert, but can it be lactose free, glutton free, kosher, fat and cholesterol free as well
Melanie R. wrote:You forgot sugar free, vegan, GMO-free and organic.. [rotfl.gif]
You mean fun free? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

Right. :D