How about some definitions of tasting from the experts?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Victor D.

How about some definitions of tasting from the experts?

Post by Victor D. »

Gentlemen (and ladies). Being somewhat new to VP's I would like to know I know what I am tasting in regards to what I hear all the time?

I know what I like when I taste a good port, but I cannot explain the flavors like you all. Not sure what the "nose" is, what tannins is more than this or that. I understand after taste, long on the palate, but I just want to know how to explain what I'm tasting better. It seems that is an art all by itself! :D

Tawny's are a good example as of late. Presently REALLY enjoying a Noval 20 year tawny and I understand when I am tasting a woody type flavor but I cannot put many other words to how this compared to the Noval 40 year old I had a few weeks ago. This 20 year seems to last longer and has a bit more (how do I say it), more pungent taste and life about it vs. the 40. The 40 seemed a bit flatter, but the 20 year has more of other subtle things I like but just cannot explain it like you all.

Part of the reason is I think is I never had many things like butter scotch, liquorish, fresh berries, etc. I never ate candy or sweet things before if you can believe that so when I am tasting such great VP''s I am ignorant to the naming of the fruits and other naming conventions.

Thanks all!

Vic
Paul Fountain

Re: How about some definitions of tasting from the experts?

Post by Paul Fountain »

Firstly, I am certainly not an expert!
The idea of the descriptors used by many of the wine scribes and some of us amatuers on this site is to describe the properties of the wine in terms that can be related back to things the reader is familiar with. If you haven't tried things that the writer has used as a reference, then it will be difficult to get an understanding of what the wine tastes like, just from the written word. There is a Korean woman named Jeannie Cho Lee who is based in Hong Kong. A few years back became the first ethnic Asian become a Master of Wine. She has wrote a book called Asian Palate, which I haven't read myself, but I can be certain that the descriptors she is using to describe wine will be substantially different to anything I've ever thought of, simply because she is writing for the asian market rather than the westernised culture I am used to.
It also takes practice to get some of the nuances of indivdual wines, and in time you slowly start to get a feel for what the differences are. At least that is how it is for me. Many of the experienced campaigners on this site immediately recognise the house style of a particular maker and perhaps more importantly, when a particular product or vintage strays from that style. I'm nowhere near that yet but if I try enough, I might just start to understand!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

A great place to start is Jancis Robinson's book, How to Taste: A Guide to Enjoying Wine.

It is possible to learn on your own just by tasting, reflecting on what you've tasted, and comparing that to other people's tasting notes. When you're starting out a tasting note can be a daunting task, but as you get used to the lingo and how that relates to what you're tasting it gets a lot easier.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

A flavor wheel could help too. It helps remind me of other flavors in the general flavor region I am tasting... Some flavors are more typical to port like orange blossom or mandarin orange that once you know could be there, you may look for. I notice I tend to pick out the same flavors over and over while a friend is tasting things I totally passed by but notice after they have been pointed out.

What I find the coolest is how people I have drank with from all over the world and different experience can all come within a point or two when scoring the same wine blind. There is something to be said about that. Even my girlfriend who is not all geeky about port and does not care still gives it the same score as us "experts".
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Victor D.

Post by Victor D. »

Moses Botbol wrote:A flavor wheel could help too. It helps remind me of other flavors in the general flavor region I am tasting... Some flavors are more typical to port like orange blossom or mandarin orange that once you know could be there, you may look for. I notice I tend to pick out the same flavors over and over while a friend is tasting things I totally passed by but notice after they have been pointed out.

What I find the coolest is how people I have drank with from all over the world and different experience can all come within a point or two when scoring the same wine blind. There is something to be said about that. Even my girlfriend who is not all geeky about port and does not care still gives it the same score as us "experts".
Now that is a great idea. Will give it a whirl. Thank you!

Vic