TRADER JOE'S - not the first name you think of for Port

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: TRADER JOE'S - not the first name you think of for Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

Russ K wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:No Trader Joe's here. Closest one is 427 miles away. But if those 1994s show up, I may just call up a friend or two to buy some for me.
stupid colorado liquor rules...
They could open one Trader Joe's in the state with no liquor, then open up a liquor store next door. Also, PA and MD have Trader Joe's, so it may not be just about the liquor. Oh, and maybe they could even sell liquor in the store. See this article. It might be more of a distribution warehouse issue.
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Russ K wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:No Trader Joe's here. Closest one is 427 miles away. But if those 1994s show up, I may just call up a friend or two to buy some for me.
stupid colorado liquor rules...
They could open one Trader Joe's in the state with no liquor, then open up a liquor store next door. Also, PA and MD have Trader Joe's, so it may not be just about the liquor. Oh, and maybe they could even sell liquor in the store. See this article. It might be more of a distribution warehouse issue.
My understanding is they won't do it because they want more than one location for the whole state, and no Person (ie person / family / company) may have more than one store license in the state of colorado. So they won't come here. thats why there is only one Costco that has a liquor store where you can actually get the kirkland products. The others connected to Costco's are lisenced to other companies....different products and different prices...
Luke W

Post by Luke W »

The 1994s have landed.

They came in at $39.99
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Luke W wrote:The 1994s have landed.

They came in at $39.99
Wow, interesting. I was at the NYC shop about 2 weeks ago and they still hadn't shown up - I'll have to take another look soon. $39.99 is a lot more than the $23 price tag that Roy originally mentioned, but still a great price for a '94 VP (considering it's good - I've never had it).
The Port Maverick
Mark Hudson

Post by Mark Hudson »

I searched Reno this weekend, no luck
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Lamont Huxley wrote:
Luke W wrote:The 1994s have landed.

They came in at $39.99
Wow, interesting. I was at the NYC shop about 2 weeks ago and they still hadn't shown up - I'll have to take another look soon. $39.99 is a lot more than the $23 price tag that Roy originally mentioned, but still a great price for a '94 VP (considering it's good - I've never had it).
$40 is not making me rush down there, but I do intend to check it out soon. Kirkland Costco Tawny is back and I bet there will be plenty of port deals as we go into the holidays.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I've also seen the 1994s in my local Trader Joe's. BTW, it seems that the 10 Year Old Quarles Harris is longer being carried by TJs. They recently found a few more cases in the warehouse, but once those sell out that will be the end of it.
Josh S.

Post by Josh S. »

I'll 2nd the QH 10y Tawny, i've had it a couple times and found it an exceptionally inexpensive way to satisfy a tawny fix.
I've stashed some of their VPs and LBVs over the years, too. The 2007 came out at a mere $35; half that of the top houses.
SushiNorth
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The 2007 Quarles Harris VP is a no-brainer for anybody interested in a quality bottling from this vintage or something very enjoyable to drink now or in the future at a crazy good price.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mark Hudson

Post by Mark Hudson »

I have checked our two weeks in a row, no luck.

If they do show up, I will grab em :)
Mark Hudson

Post by Mark Hudson »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Luke W wrote:The 2007 from Trade Joes was the first Vintage Port I ever bought.
Their QH 10 year is a solid buy at TJ's also.

I saw this while I was there and wanted to get a bottle till i read cellar trackers reviews. It has been rated very poorly on a varitey of topics.

I actully put it back after I read that (was doing all this on my iphone)

so I take it you found it to your liking?

I may have to go back tomorrow and get a bottle. its less than half the price I usually pay for a 10 year.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Mark,

Nothing against CT or the folks here who use our TNDB ... but I think you owe it to yourself to check out a bottle that is priced so reasonably that it would be a shame not to try it because some may not have liked it. The upside far outweighs the small price of admission. Please DO share your thoughts after tasting it. The more data points we get from those that DO like Port, the better off we can all make decisions. Thanks! [notworthy.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
jean p

Post by jean p »

Todd Pettinger wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Coming is the Quarles Harris Port 1994. This will hit Trader Joes about mid-July. It will be around $23.00 when it hits the stores. Keep your eyes open for this. It is a very solid VP and what a bargain it shall be.
<Todd commences to weep openly on the floor>
I need to move to the States!!! :beat:
I've often thought similarly... taxes on alcohol really kill here
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

My local TJ's just got in the 1994 Quarles Harris VP for $40. Not a great deal, but I may get one just to give it a go.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I still haven't seen the 2007 Quarles Harris in local TJs. Hopefully it'll hit the shelves soon!
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

The QH '94 has finally arrived at Trader Joe's in Manhattan for $39.99. I picked one up today along with a bottle of the '05 LBV which they still have plenty of at $12.99. I'll post notes on both once I finish drinking them - haven't had either yet. They still have the QH 10 yr Tawny which is a steal as well as the basic ruby which I haven't tried. The Warre's 20 yr Tawny looks to finally be sold out.
The Port Maverick