How to turn around Port sales into the black again?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: How to turn around Port sales into the black again?

Post by Roy Hersh »

There are MANY hours of outtakes from interviews that were done that will be made available to FTLOP at some point. I may ask Zev to put some link on our homepage to help him sell DVD's. There will certainly be opportunities to purchase and view his film, that is for sure. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Autographed movie posters would be cool too.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I hate to pour cold water on this, but there are thousands of movies made every year, yet only one or two chime with the public sufficiently to change their purchasing habits.

Is this film being released in thousands of cinemas around the world? Does the producer have the contacts and backing to have a serious prospect of getting Oscar nominations?

If not, it's not going to make much difference to port sales, however nice a film it is..
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

Who is talking about this film changing the landscape in terms of increasing Port and Douro wine sales? Can it make a dent? Possibly. But that was NEVER the intent whatsoever. In fact, the movie does not focus on the wine at all. It focuses on LIFE on the Douro and just happens to involve the viticulture quite a bit as that is really (or was) the only industry in the entire region.

Besides the fact that documentaries very rarely go mainstream, in terms of viewership or theatrical releases ... there is a good chance this film will wind up on TV as a series, broken into smaller segments and having further footage shot if/when that becomes a certainty.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

This movie has be shown at all the film fests it can and from there; who knows?
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

Tom Archer wrote:I hate to pour cold water on this, but there are thousands of movies made every year, yet only one or two chime with the public sufficiently to change their purchasing habits.

Is this film being released in thousands of cinemas around the world? Does the producer have the contacts and backing to have a serious prospect of getting Oscar nominations?

If not, it's not going to make much difference to port sales, however nice a film it is..
You could possibly be confusing our discussions about the actual documentary, Life on the Douro, and a hypothetical fictional film.

With the right contacts, though, I don't think it would be as hard as you think with a fictional film as long as it's actually good.

Word of mouth from the right people in the wine biz, like reviews in popular wine magazines and such, could make an Indie film get the right exposure.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Who is talking about this film changing the landscape in terms of increasing Port and Douro wine sales?
Roy - note subject of thread..
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom, as you are certainly aware ... thread drift happens. [shrug.gif] :shock:

Moses,

The film has already shown at 3 film festivals:
a. Douro Film Harvest in late September ... it's inaugural release
b. Toronto Portuguese Film Festival last month
c. Paso Robles Film Festival ten days ago

Others are being scheduled.

This very question is played out in next week's newsletter in A QUESTION FOR THE PORT TRADE, although I chose a slightly different slant. Provocative and educational responses are going to make this an amazing read for those that enjoy such things. The question does focus on what can be done by the trade in working together, rather than as competitors. I think you'll like the results. :scholar:
Zev R

Post by Zev R »

I'm off to Cologne today to for a screening of my Life on the Douro documentary, and thought I'd post a quick reply to some of the comments, especially as to whether the film can help the region or not.

First, I didn't make the film to promote or help the Douro or its wines, but because it has a fascinating history and culture, is visually stunning, and rich with personal stories. Second, previous docs have helped, for regions

As Tom rightly points out (and it's not pouring water on anything, just a realistic view of things) there are thousands of documentaries, and I have no illusions of it getting an major Awards (for reasons that have little to do with it as a film). And even if it did, I don't know what sort of impact it would have in increasing sales.

But there is interest from at least one film distributor to expand it into a series for _possible_ television sales. Again, whether it appears on local cable stations or a major network, I don't know how much impact it will have. Tho it can't hurt.

The opportunity it does provide, however, is for the wineries, to get behind it, work together, and make it into a major event. The screening and tasting events I set up in California, for example, gave the wineries the opportunity to print up post card invitations and posters and plaster LA and San Francisco with them. They could have been distributed not only to every wine store, but every book store and cultural venue in those cities. They could have put a bit of effort in getting the press out, sending out email shots, personally inviting their clients, etc, etc, etc. It's all about creating buzz and building things up, the snowball effect as we used to say in Canada. That, in turn, would give any broadcast of the film more impact, and in turn make future events more successful.

To be fair, it took me a long time to find a suitable place in LA, a lot were out of my price range, but then that's the consequence of arranging it virtually all by myself (tho with the great support of Roy Hersh), and had the wineries come forth and asked me what can be done to support the film and events, things could have gone much more smoothly.
In the film, people talk about working together and promoting the region and Portugal, but it has to be worked at.

Broadbent Selections, importers of Ferreira and Crasto, Martine's Wines (with extra honorable mention to Nina Scherotter for her 110% effort), importers of Niepoort, Quinta do Portal's importer in the USA, and George Sandeman and Ligia Marques (Sandeman brand manager) really came through and saved the day. But the events could have gone much better had everyone done the same. And it is Sandeman and Ligia, and Niepoort who are once again being supportive of my screening tomorrow in Cologne, something I don't think is a coincidence.

I came back from California exhausted, wondering if it was worthwhile doing this. I'll arrange some more screenings in places that are beneficial to my film, but will leave any possible tastings to be arranged by local wine entities or the wineries themselves. I'm very happy with the film, the overwhelming positive response, and its future, but skeptical about whether most of the wineries will respond to the opportunity it presents, and if they don't work together, then the opportunity is lost.

PS. As a plug, the DVD release has been delayed due to several circumstances beyond my control, apologies to those who have pre-ordered, and no one wants it out as much as I do. If anyone hasn't seen the preview, here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFeEJllDJ-I
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:The question does focus on what can be done by the trade in working together, rather than as competitors.
Friendly competition can help everyone as well. Look what the Great American Beer Festival has done for craft beer. There is a competition, but the whole idea of a competition gets attention. Who won this years small producer of the Douro award? What was the best 10 year old tawny? ...
Dorene H.

Post by Dorene H. »

IIRC, Roy put out FTLOP awards on those areas earlier this year, likely the January newsletter.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Doe. [cheers.gif]

There will be the 2nd annual FTLOP Awards in February 2012 for the previous year.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Advertise in non-wine related magazines. Ok, don't get me wrong, some advertisement in wine publications can be good. But lets face it, if someone is reading a wine magazine they probably already have an interest in wine at some level (unless they're just bored and stuck in the doctors waiting room with nothing else to read). How about some larger catchy advertisements in non-wine related publications. What better way to get new people familiar with your name and product.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The IVDP should invest some money into an effort like this:

http://goodfoodwouldchoosebordeaux.com/

Tom
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:The IVDP should invest some money into an effort like this:

http://goodfoodwouldchoosebordeaux.com/

Tom
Hey hey now Tom, let's not go there, that would actually make sense [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, the IVDP can and should do far more to promote Port throughout the world.

Hopefully, we are creating our own group of Port Ambassadors right here. I mean, from Glenn to Andy to Jeff to Moses to Eric and so many others that I could name ... they are putting on tastings during the year for friends and converting people to be Port enthusiasts. Our friends in the UK and elsewhere do the same. This may be a small community, but it is a powerful one in which we influence the palates of our friends during tastings by getting them to try Port, preferably to enjoy Port which is far more important. Think grass roots movement and in reality, that's what we are all doing. Just think to yourself how many people you've personally converted to Port, this year alone. Yes, very powerful indeed.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Port is an easy drink to turn people on to. Serve something decent in the right glass with a little explanation and that's it. We saw what happens to women on a train when they drink Sandeman! [dance2.gif] Even if they try it properly and don't like it, at least they had the right way and made an informed decision. There's port tonics for the rest of them!

Port's history and constant admiration for 100's of years is proof positive that it's a drink to be enjoyed. I wish some of the bigger liquor stores around here had some balls and marked their territory as the "place to buy port". That title is still up for grabs in MA. The same could be said for Champagne. There are a few stores with great selection, but no one has gone for the crown like they have with Scotch or Tequila.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So what are you saying, sex sells? [shok.gif]
Bob Parsons Alberta

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

We saw what happens to women on a train when they drink Sandeman!

Sounds like a train I should be on!
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

So what are you saying, sex sells?
Yes. Anything that gives women the impression that a product will make them look sexier, or gives men the impression that the product will improve their chances; wins.

However, women tend to be obsessive martyrs to fashion, irrespective of whether or not the latest fad will make them more attractive. For that reason, when drinks advertising targets women, it almost invariably follows the line of suggesting that drinking 'x' is what the most stylish and fashionable are doing now - so they should do the same.

Advertising targetted at men usually takes the form of suggesting that this is what the cool sophisticated set are drinking now, but without the use of 'alpha male' actors, thereby giving a subtle subtext of 'even a wimp like you can look cool with a glass of this in your hand'

- All a bit silly, really!