TN: Two Hills, Crasto, Monsanto, Darioush, Cloudy Bay.

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bob Parsons Alberta

TN: Two Hills, Crasto, Monsanto, Darioush, Cloudy Bay.

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

One of the most popular tastings at DeVines is the annual stand-up do (max 60) with a selection from the recently announced Wine Spectator Top 100. I was happy to lend a hand as usual but pours were small and I was quite busy circling the room.
2010 Cloudy Bay SB was the reception wine, is this really worth the high points total?
2009 Sineann Pinot Noir Resonance, Yamhill-Carlton District Ore. Limited production and we had to have a draw for the 8 bottles available! Cherry, strawberry nose. Violets, think bigger than I expected? Was very popular with most tasters, had a lot of style, $60 Cdn. #30.
2007 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico was eagerly anticipated by me and I manged to scrounge half a bottle to take home after the event. Needs time, good structure, medium tannins, food would help. $36. #31.
2009 Buehler Zinfandel, Napa. Not sure how this made it into top 100 list? Pretty average, $28, smooth mouthfeel, pepper, solid but #68?
2008 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva, Douro, great wine and easily WOTN for me! Some recent vintages have been too modern for me but this one hit the spot. Very dark color, seems ready now!! Black fruits, med tannins, spice chocolate. #62 and $43. The `03 cost me $28 and still have some left.
2007 Darioush Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa. A $60 wine that costs $130 up here. Over-extracted, big, bold but not for me. Is this an example of a RP highly touted wine?
2009 Two Hands Bella`s Garden Shiraz, Barossa V. Seen this one fly off the shelves here, why all the fuss? Well, quite delicious, inky black, ripe berry, oak, plum, savoury. I waxed lyrically!
$65, #35.