FTLOP's: NFL Post Season Bragging Rights + Prize

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

FTLOP's: NFL Post Season Bragging Rights + Prize

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'll ante up a prize, (but if you want the BIG prize, organize a #PortDay event and submit a video) but it will be interesting to pick the following:

a. Who will be the winner of the AFC Championship game between the Baltimore Ravens visiting the New England Patriots?

b. Who will be the winner of the NFC Championship game between the New York Giants visiting the San Francisco 49'ers?

c. Who will be the ultimate winner of the Super Bowl?

d. As your tie-breakers, what will the final score be in the Super Bowl?

The person to pick the correct winner(s), must do so by Sunday at noon EDT (9 a.m. PDT) of if I have this correct, 5 p.m. (GMT) for our friends in the UK.

* One vote per person, who must submit answers to ALL: a./b./c./d.
* Should you want to change your vote up until the aforementioned deadline, then please do so in your original post. Any second post votes by any individual will have ALL of their votes disqualified.
* Tie-breaker rule: of both teams you select to go to the Super Bowl and after having chosen the winner of the SB Game, the winning tie breaker will be the closest to the actual score for both winning and losing teams. In other words the least differential between your submission of the final score for both teams vs. the actual final score. In a virtual tie at that point (doubt it will come to this but planning for all eventualities) is the person who's winning score for the winner has not exceeded the actual score and if that is still tied somehow, then the same for the losing team's score ... being closest AND under the actual score.

Prize: Bragging rights [dance2.gif] . PLUS a one year :ftlop: subscription, or if you are already a subscriber, I'll add a year onto your expiration date.

For our new Facebook friends who are joining in the fun, [welcome.gif] ... we hope you will stick around and participate after the contest too. Please know that your responses to this contest, MUST be posted here and not on the FOR THE LOVE OF PORT FB page.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bob bman

Re: FTLOP's: NFL Post Season Bragging Rights + Prize

Post by Bob bman »

Hey Roy! Long time, no post! But your contest really got my attention - a way to begin to deal with the end of NFL football, which is a struggle every year! Here are my picks:

a. Who will be the winner of the AFC Championship game between the Baltimore Ravens visiting the New England Patriots? Patriots

b. Who will be the winner of the NFC Championship game between the New York Giants visiting the San Francisco 49'ers? Giants

c. Who will be the ultimate winner of the Super Bowl? Patriots

d. As your tie-breakers, what will the final score be in the Super Bowl? 34-31
Andy Dremeaux

Post by Andy Dremeaux »

The Giants take down the Patriots 27-24
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

a. Who will be the winner of the AFC Championship game between the Baltimore Ravens visiting the New England Patriots?

Patriots. I'd normally take the Ravens for their defense, but it's in Foxboro so the home field advantage tips it in favor of the Patriots for me.

b. Who will be the winner of the NFC Championship game between the New York Giants visiting the San Francisco 49'ers?

49ers. I don't even think this one is close. Then again, I thought the Pack was going to slaughter the Giants, so what do I know?

c. Who will be the ultimate winner of the Super Bowl?

Tough call, but I'll go with "defense wins championships" and take the 49ers over the Patriots.

d. As your tie-breakers, what will the final score be in the Super Bowl?

24-17. I can't go with a high score if I'm claiming that the 49ers defense is going to be the difference, now can I?
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

AFC: Ravens defeat the Patriots

NFC: Giants defeat the 49ers

Super Bowl: Ravens beat the Giants 22-16
Last edited by John M. on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any Port in a storm!
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

I must admit that - as a European - I focus much more on soccer than the NFL... The only game that I watched since last Super-Bowl was last weekend when my pick (Packers) somehow didn't do as well as I hoped... :)
I'm a total amateur when it comes to the NFL - should I win this little contest, then it's the proof that the "random-walk-theory" doesn't apply only to the stock market but also to football-games...
a. Who will be the winner of the AFC Championship game between the Baltimore Ravens visiting the New England Patriots? The Patriots win.

b. Who will be the winner of the NFC Championship game between the New York Giants visiting the San Francisco 49'ers? Somehow I really don't like the 49ers - that's why I scared they might win... So yes, my pick are the 49ers...

c. Who will be the ultimate winner of the Super Bowl? 49ers... :(

d. As your tie-breakers, what will the final score be in the Super Bowl? 17-10

As usual, I'm looking forward to the commercials.... nothing against the football... but the commercials are just MARVELOUS during Superbowl... On another note: Does NFL and Port go together? Maybe I'm a victim of the constant beer commercials, but I see myself drinking a few Corona rather than my ususal port during Superbowl-Sunday...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Either works. Might go with beer and food for the 1st half and Port for the 2nd half. Sounds reasonable to me. [d_training.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Dremeaux

Post by Andy Dremeaux »

Andy Dremeaux wrote:The Giants take down the Patriots 27-24
In regards to the email about picking the AFC and NFC winners as well, obviously I pick the Giants and the Patriots [cheers.gif]
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Patriots beat Giants 28-24. (Though I will be cheering for the 49'ers)
Tom D.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Ravens
Giants
Giants over the Ravens
21 over 17
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

Giants take it all over the Patriots.

They're no longer underdogs and the Patriots will have something to prove this time around, but I think the Giants defense will keep them going.

This will either be the most boring game ever, or I'm hoping for 34-24 score with both sides putting on a major show.
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Giants over Pats 34-28. [beg.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

20 minutes left to get your vote in before the window closes on the availability of this contest. [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]

MAY THE BEST TEAMS WIN! :salute:
Bob bman

Post by Bob bman »

Go Giants/Patriots/Patriots!! [beg.gif]

I toyed with the idea of opening one of the only two decent bottles of port I have here (currently living in Guatemala....) but decided to wait since even a portlover like me cannot drink a whole bottle over a few days! [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yep, that would certainly be very difficult. [foilhat.gif]
Bob bman

Post by Bob bman »

If i was home with my cellar full of port, it would have been a no brainer, but I've got only two nice bottles here and may be here until 2013 now. Imagine the horrror of being without a nice bottle of port at hand! :shock:
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I probably missed the deadline for participation in this contest, regrettably, but on another thread, did pick in advance the Patriots and Giants. With respect to the Super Bowl, I will go Patriots 28, Giants 24.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good luck to everyone, I hate having two weeks between Championship games and the Super Bowl. The Pro-Bowl game is a snooze fest.
Bob bman

Post by Bob bman »

As usual Roy, I agree with you 100%! Like it's not bad enough that we'll be without football for 7 months (twice as long a gap as the other pro sports league), they make us go without a week early?!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good luck to everyone today!

Roy