Next Virtual Tasting

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Next Virtual Tasting

Post by Frederick Blais »

How about a white port? Anyone had a favorable experience with a brand/producer and whants to recommend it for the next month tasting?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

The only white port I have or have ever purchased is the Offley White Port. I just brought it up from my cellar to my cooler and was going to try it in a week or two.

Mike.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've only had 2 white ports..and one is currently open in my frige and I have been mixing it with tonic for a refreshing drink on hot days here in Los Angeles.

It is rather hard to locate anything other than the really cheap white ports around my area, and I can no longer ship due to temps in the upper 80's and low 90's now. But, if we decided on white I will do my best to locate a bottle to try.

An idea :idea: Since white ports are probably hard to find in a lot of areas, how about we make the next virtual tasting ANY white port. Since there are not many tasting notes on white port here, it would be rather fun to have a mix of them. Or is that straying to far from our VT theme?? Just thinking out loud.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I got to try a few whites when I visited the lodges in March.

The Offley Cachucha was easily the best - I even bought a bottle!

Taylor made a great thing about their Chip Dry, but why I don't know - it was easily the worst...

Tom
Frederick Blais

I find your idea interesting Andy. Just waiting for others to jump in and share their ideas then we'll decide what is the best for everyone. If there is not much interest maybe we should continue with red grapes port.
John Conwell
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by John Conwell »

I've tried two different white ports (dont remember which) and really didnt like either of them. Way to dry and way to strong an alcohol flavor. Was more like vodka than anything else. So I vote for a red port.
Thanks, John C
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

White port is not easy to find in the UK so I like the idea of everyone just buying whatever they can find and posting a note. I don't think it will be possible for enough people to be able to locate the same white port to allow a normal VT.

If the white port idea doesn't come off, can I suggest Graham's "The Tawny" - it is one of the new ports from the recently established Reserve category and, in my view, is best served slightly chilled so could make a good option for a summer VT.

Derek
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

John: White ports can be sweet too, like Lagrima
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

I think I still like the white port idea. While my selection locally isn't that great, it would still be educational to see what is generally available elsewhere that I might be able to order if it looks good to me.

Mike.
Gilles Séguin

Post by Gilles Séguin »

I like the idea of white port tasting. It is summer time and it would be an opporttunity to expand our sphere of tasting and for some to discover a new wine. I have tasted 4 or 5 white ports. I like the Offley Cachucha, excellent !

We have a good selection of white port here in Quebec ( about 20), so anyone we choose is ok. Tasting different white port, why not. It gives latitude to people.

So, I'm in.

Gilles
Robin L.

White Port

Post by Robin L. »

Hi everybody,
It appears that the Cachucha from Offley is always a top seed in that category. Personnaly, it's always one of the best but because its sugar, I would strongly recommend everyone to forget it for a port tonic; it deserves better destiny (althougth port tonic is so enjoyable).
I think it's a very good idea to share comments about white port because I've never met someone who tasted more white ports than me... and I have tried only 6 or 7! Beside Offley, Ferreira and Ramos Pinto offers very great white according to my experience and I plan to try the whole selection at short-term (more than 20 in sale in Quebec area). Waitin for your suggestion,
Rob
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rob, Welcome to the forum.

It is getting near the end of the month, so it looks like a VT of ANY white port. Unless someone comes up with a better idea real soon.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Nice to see some people from Quebec generating some action on this Forum. Well we are going to do a White Port virtual tasting next month. The majority of you is in favour of this, so just find the one you want to taste and write about it.

Thanks for all your comments.