PORT OFFLINE in NYC?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Lamont Huxley

Re: PORT OFFLINE in NYC?

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Well, I'm happy to do what I can to try to plan this although I don't have a whole lot of restaurant connections. As Jeff mentioned, the fact that it's going to be a Friday night does make it a bit trickier but I'm sure it can be worked out. Personally, I'm on a very tight budget and would prefer something that isn't too extravagant but if anyone else wants to jump in with a suggestion by all means do so. If we could make a decision on the total number of people attending that would definitely help get the ball rolling. Would it be safe to say 8 at this point or are there still other people who might want in?

There are two places that come to mind where I'm very friendly with the owners and could probably arrange to host us and hopefully eliminate any corkage fees or at least minimize them. If we ordered a few bottles off the list that would probably help. The first place is a small French restaurant in Park Slope. The food is fantastic and not too expensive and I've attended a few wine dinners there with about 8 people, though that's probably the maximum that we could realistically have in that space - it's quite small. Also, the table space is not that large so it might not be possible for each person to have a bunch of stemware on the table at the same time. The other place is in Williamsburg and also has excellent, though slightly more casual food. The food has a bit of a middle eastern/mediterranean bent to it but nothing exotic. The owners are wonderful people who I would love to support and there is definitely a lot more space to spread out there. That would probably be my first choice. If that sounds good to everyone I'm happy to go ahead and inquire about setting it up.

The one thing I don't have is stemware. Hopefully someone else will be able to help out in that department. What do you all think?
The Port Maverick
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks to all three of you NY'ers who've made suggestions.

I don't think it is realistic for any of us to extend our trips by a week to take part in the 1960's Port tasting. We are all in NY for a Madeira event that I have organized for Sat. and we're departing the next day. So Friday night is our limited window of opPORTunity. Casual is fine. Not looking for a big fancy meal. We could even do it at someone's home after dinner and not have to deal with the hassle of finding a venue or moving glasses or paying corkage etc. I am not trying to impose, just seeing if there's an alternative which might be easier. I'd say keeping it to 8 ppl and 8 bottles max. would be great. Not all have to be poured ahead of time. We could do two flights of four and then we'd only need 32 glasses which is likely much easier. We could rinse the glasses between flights. Again, I am only trying to find an easy and expedient solution ... so we don't have to deal with a noisy bar or inconvenience a restaurant at this late date.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Josh S. wrote:
We're happy to host guests from out of town, but if we're going to do a casual tasting we should aim for a couple of nice bottles (2-3) with fewer glasses. Jeff -- what about Duck House (like we did with Oscar) or Square Meal (even though they dropped a half case of glasses at the 85 tasting)?
Sq meal only takes 6 and it's a very tight fit

Duck house can accomodate but we won't fit 64 glasses on a small round table.
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jeff,

How about 32 glasses for a flight of 4 that we do 2x. We can do four bottles first and then dump/rinse and go again. How does that sound?

Lamont,

Pk. Slope is my old neighborhood and I know a place there where we could likely go w/no corkage. That said, everyone then has to truck out to Bklyn. I don't mind 'cause I know the area, but for those from CA and AZ and LV who are on the list of 8, might find it less fun to try to find. Williamsburgh even more so.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

More like at peking duck house, we would fit 2 glasses per person and people would use the 2 glasses for the rest of the night on however many bottles if we were 8.
Roy Hersh wrote:Jeff,

How about 32 glasses for a flight of 4 that we do 2x. We can do four bottles first and then dump/rinse and go again. How does that sound?

Lamont,

Pk. Slope is my old neighborhood and I know a place there where we could likely go w/no corkage. That said, everyone then has to truck out to Bklyn. I don't mind 'cause I know the area, but for those from CA and AZ and LV who are on the list of 8, might find it less fun to try to find. Williamsburgh even more so.
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Sorry for coming in late to this thread, but if space allows, I would love to attend (although I understand capping at 8 people).

Another option, which perhaps may be difficult for people... I could host at my place. I live an 80-90 min commuter train ride from Grand Central Station to Milford, CT. Everyone can take the same train and I could pick up and drop off people from the Milford train station which is a mile away from my place. We could provide the food, but stemware could be an issue (unless people wish to do one stem per person and just do a casual walk around tasting). Just a thought...

--Marco
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Marco,

IF you had more glasswear, maybe it would make some sense, but given the 3 hours of r/t commute time, and no glasses, it really doesn't make much sense to come all the way to CT. But thank you for offering.

Jeff,
I think NYC is the way to go, to be honest, and thank you for helping move this forward. IF we do that restaurant, can we possibly fit in 9 people and that way we could also have Marco join us? IF yes, we can then do 3 flights of 3 glasses (a total of 27 glasses) on the table and a total of 9 Ports? Again, I'll be happy to do the Port coordination, so it would be a reservation and getting 27 glasses there. Doable?
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

I'm going to reiterate that I don't care nor really have the time to set up a proper tasting for what is now 9 people.

I'd like to refer to my previous suggestion that we just bring 2-3 bottles, goto a bar and have a very informal meet and greet.

If you guys from the Madeira tasting or anyone else for that matters wishes to have something more formal, I'll leave the planning in more capable hands.
Josh S.

Post by Josh S. »

Jeff G. wrote:I'm going to reiterate that I don't care nor really have the time to set up a proper tasting for what is now 9 people.
I'd like to refer to my previous suggestion that we just bring 2-3 bottles, go to a bar and have a very informal meet and greet.
Agreed.

A Tasting:
Roy, while I'd certainly like to meet you (which of course means having some port), if you want to run a formal NYC Tasting for east-coast FTLOP members and madiera tasting attendees, I'd try to attend -- but cannot arrange.

A Drinking:
Alternatively, if you'd like to meet for a casual dinner with a few bottles of Port, I'll arrange a place to get together in Manhattan and I'll bring something fun. But if I'm to host, I'd need to be able to arrange as I see fit -- both in terms of quantity, attendees, restaurant, and logistics.
SushiNorth
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Just to be clear, please don't make any special arrangements for an extra person. As I mentioned, I completely understand capping this at 8 people.

Cheers! :D

BTW, I totally understand a commute to CT is not ideal, but if people wish to further entertain this idea, I can look into acquiring more stemware.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

A polite observation from someone not involved…

Meeting up to drink Port with like-minded individuals should be stress-free, friendly and enjoyable for everyone involved. There appear to be some avoidable mismatched expectations or misunderstandings developing in this thread that might compromise the primary objective. [shrug.gif]

[friends.gif] [cheers.gif]
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Derek T. wrote:A polite observation from someone not involved…

Meeting up to drink Port with like-minded individuals should be stress-free, friendly and enjoyable for everyone involved. There appear to be some avoidable mismatched expectations or misunderstandings developing in this thread that might compromise the primary objective. [shrug.gif]

[friends.gif] [cheers.gif]
Well said Derek. I think with several weeks left before the date there shouldn't be too much difficulty reaching an agreeable concensus. Do any of the other out-of-towners who havent chimed in yet have an opinion on the suggestions that have been thrown around so far?
The Port Maverick
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I think I'll be in NYC at that time so if you guys decide on a plan of action and you have room..I'm in!
:winepour:
:winebath:
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

SEAN C. wrote:I think I'll be in NYC at that time so if you guys decide on a plan of action and you have room..I'm in!
Looks like Roy already had you on the list of people attending...
The Port Maverick
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

So let's do this

Let's say 5:30 pm at March 9th

http://www.thepalm.com/Palm-West
250 West 50th Street, New York, NY 10019

Josh and I will spot the GC 80 and a F80

We'll be at the bar area and we would love to see everyone.
It's informal, would be cheap, can get some quick bar snacks, a few cocktails on the side.
Bar Menu: http://www.thepalm.com/Our-Menu/Prime-Bites

And if you guys wish to sit down to a formal dinner, there's the main dining room in the back.

I would have to bail since I have a new born to go home to.

Does that work with everybody?
Last edited by Jeff G. on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Works for me and thank you Jeff. As for the date, definitely FRIDAY the 9th. I was going to bring a GC'80 as mentioned, but I guess I'll do a Dow instead, if I can figure out how to get it decanted ahead of time. Can't show up empty handed, not my style. Might just ship it to you next week. Will they have glasses that are suitable?

We will see if other's claims that the Fonseca 1980 is one of the worst Ports of the vintage is a deserving fit, or not. [shrug.gif] I haven't had it in some time so it should be interesting to say the least. Please don't take this as a slight, I am not demeaning the Port you guys are bringing at all; like I said, I've not had it in awhile.

Again, much appreciated. [cheers.gif]
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

If that's the plan I'll come by the Palm as well. Not sure how it will work to do this at a bar but whatever's clever. Like Roy, I can't see showing up empty handed so I'll definitely bring something though I'm not sure it'll be an 80 VP.

Roy, not sure if I understood your comment correctly but did you mean that some people claim the Dow's to be one of the worst of the '80 vintage? If so I'd be really surprised as that was my WOTN at the Dow's vertical last year...
The Port Maverick
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Lamont Huxley wrote:If that's the plan I'll come by the Palm as well. Not sure how it will work to do this at a bar but whatever's clever. Like Roy, I can't see showing up empty handed so I'll definitely bring something though I'm not sure it'll be an 80 VP.

Roy, not sure if I understood your comment correctly but did you mean that some people claim the Dow's to be one of the worst of the '80 vintage? If so I'd be really surprised as that was my WOTN at the Dow's vertical last year...

I'd think the course of action is if you wish to contribute, to spot some of the food and nibbles as it is the bar and the table probably wouldn't fit all those bottles on it.

Btw, it's typically NOT byob, but because i know the bartender well, I can certainly get away with having a few bottles opened without corkage but it would be pretty rude to abuse his friendship if you guys know what I mean.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

SEAN C. wrote:I think I'll be in NYC at that time so if you guys decide on a plan of action and you have room..I'm in!
So what do you think is going to happen first - you making it over to the UK or me getting to Scotsdale? I still remember our Boston Blowout with really fond memories.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Al B. wrote:
So what do you think is going to happen first - you making it over to the UK or me getting to Scotsdale? I still remember our Boston Blowout with really fond memories.
Sean,

I think what Alex is saying, in his usual polite manner, is "get your ass over to London - soon!" [cheers.gif]

Derek