2012 Port Explorer's Tour: at-a-glance

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2012 Port Explorer's Tour: at-a-glance

Post by Roy Hersh »

I will be using FB and this thread to relay our daily events while in Portugal ... IF I get to Portugal.

In typical "Roy luck with flying to Portugal" fashion ... no luck is better than my luck. I left on an early morning flight destined for Newark to arrive around 15:15-ish. All good so far. I get off the plane to learn that my connecting UAL flight to Lisbon at 22:10 is not going to happen. The "equipment" is still in LAX undergoing a repair (Andy, thanks a lot, I know you're behind this plot :salute: ) and won't be here until 22:30 p.m. at the earliest ... "unless we can find another wide-bodied jet in the system to get here earlier." Roy: "How likely is that?" UAL: "It is hard to say, check back around 20:00 and we should have more information."

Well besides obliterating any chance of making my connection tomorrow morning to Porto, I am more concerned about not seeing my luggage again before Wednesday. Been there/done that ... what was it ... three or four consecutive trips to Portugal with lost luggage on 3 airlines?

Anyway, on a brighter note, I will be making up for this tomorrow night! :winebath:

I won't bore you with any more travel nonsense, but should have some fun things to report throughout the next 10 days. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carl D

Re: 2012 Port Explorer's Tour: at-a-glance

Post by Carl D »

Looking forward to the travel log! Sorry to hear about your connecting flights - that sux.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm just looking out for the well being of your liver by delaying your plane [foilhat.gif] :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It appears the incompetence in the Red Carpet Room was peaking last night.

a. The woman lied to me. The reality was that the Air Traffic Controllers here in Lisbon, Portugal were on strike overnight and would not allow ANY traffic in whatsoever. So the "equipment in LAX" was a total fabrication.
b. When I asked them to see if there was any other flight, they said no. Later on, I checked on line and found that TAP had a direct flight to Porto and I could have been here many hours earlier with no issue and no stop in Lisbon.

Oh well, I am here in LIsbon since 10 a.m. and it is now almost 3 p.m. but ultimately, I will get to Porto and brought some bottles to share with a friend this evening. So have no fear, my liver will get baptized in Porto this evening.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

At least you made it to Portugal.
Hope you have a clean set of underwear! :oops:
In June, I'm traveling through Frankfurt. Thought I'd give that route a try.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've used the train a few times between Lisbon and Oporto - it's a good option to flying and isn't much different time wise.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Agreed. The train is only 3 hours. The flight and all it entailed is now completely forgotten as my luggage arrived with me and ultimately that's all I cared about. The rest is just drama.

Anyway, tonight I hung out with one of my best friends in Porto, spent time with his family and then we went out to eat at a fine restaurant on the outskirts of town and had a really excellent dinner. I had brought a bottle of 2001 Hanzell Chardonnay, my favorite domestic producer and a bottle of the remarkable 2002 Phelp's Insignia. I had bought 7 bottles on release, so I could try one young and tonight, albeit 10 years old, it was still a matter of commiting infanticide. Great wine with an amazing structure but is still in need of another five years or possibly more.

The Ports were stunning as the owner of the restaurant hung out with us and our dessert and we shared wines with him and he returned the favor. Coincidentally, I ran into Pedro Silva Reis, owner of Real Companhia Velha after dinner. The Port highlights were 1976 Krohn Colheita, an absolute WOW wine in every sense of a wood-aged beauty. We had a 1971 Dalva Golden White Colheita, which was the first time I've ever heard of this and one of the first times it has ever been tasted except by the heads of the company. We also tasted a glass or two of 1964 Krohn Branco Colheita which paled in comparison to either of the other two bottlings.

After a great dinner and copious quantities of Port, my friend and driver felt the urge at 4:00 to head to a place that Andy, Stewart and I went about five years ago ... next to the Porto Palacio, for burgers and fries. It felt good then, but the caloric intake is hard to lose. Anyway, it was a really nice reunion and a great way to get ready for what's just around the corner on Sunday.
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Al B. wrote:I've used the train a few times between Lisbon and Oporto - it's a good option to flying and isn't much different time wise.
I'll second that. I'd much prefer taking the train once I get to Lisbon. One advantage is don't have to perform acts of contorsion just to fit in the seats.
I've found the Portuguese train system to be pretty good.... as long as they aren't on strike!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

After a great dinner and copious quantities of Port, my friend and driver felt the urge at 4:00 to head to a place that Andy, Stewart and I went about five years ago ... next to the Porto Palacio, for burgers and fries. It felt good then, but the caloric intake is hard to lose. Anyway, it was a really nice reunion and a great way to get ready for what's just around the corner on Sunday.
Your stomach must still be on West Coast time! :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:At least you made it to Portugal.
Hope you have a clean set of underwear! :oops:
In June, I'm traveling through Frankfurt. Thought I'd give that route a try.
And a clean Raiders tee-shirt :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:We also tasted a glass or two of 1964 Krohn Branco Colheita which paled in comparison to either of the other two bottlings.
Wow! I usually really like the '64 Krohn white... those other two bottles must have been amazing!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The 1976 Krohn was far better. It may have been (although it didn't really taste like it) that the 1964 was open for awhile.

Tonight we had a 1978 Krohn, back at the exact same restaurant that I discovered for last night's dinner, this time with Mario. We had two gorgeous bottles of Verice. I wanted to show him where I want to end the 2012 Port Harvest Tour. I still prefer the 1976 to all the others. This restaurant rocks!!! 400 wines on the list and most are exceptionally priced.

Tomorrow begins the official first day of the tour and I am v. much looking forward to it. We have an amazing itinerary planned this week!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Today was the first day of the tour. GREAT guests on this tour. Very wine savvy and none has been to the Port region before. We went to Pocas as our only visit. Long day with lots of great barrel tasting with the winemaker and another family member who is responsible for the sales and marketing. After the tour and cask samples we went for the real tasting. We then had a vertical tasting of Vintage Ports. Yummy stuff. Afterwards we had a bunch of old Colheitas up to the present day 1994. Sublime juice. We had an over the top dinner tonight with nice Douro wines and whites from VV. I opened a 1912 D'oIveras Verdelho for dessert. The group was seemingly very content and tomorrow is coming up way too soon, so I am going to grab some sleep.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Day 2:

We began by visiting the Kopke Lodge and then headed over to the brand spanking new Burmester Lodge. It is open just 10 days and we're one of the very first groups to get to experience it which was kind of cool. I really like that they kept this with a much more old-school feeling, vs. what Sogevinus did with the Calem lodge. The Burmester lodge is literally right up against the bridge on the Gaia side in what used to be one of Calem's old warehouses. It is cavernous and totally redone. But photos or a personal visit will do much more justice for those coming to Porto anytime soon. We had a fabulous tasting of aged white Tawny Ports. That was followed by a deep vertical including greats from every vintage going way back to the early part of the last century. The guests were absolutely blown away by their experience and the Ports. What an amazing way to start the day.

Lunch was over the top and then we headed to Offley for a great vertical of Vintage Ports. Afterwards one of our famous blending trials and this one was seemingly more difficult than past efforts. Tonight it was a casual night of Francesinha at our favorite Bufete Fase. They treat us quite well and still have the award in their window and the place was rocking. Afterwards, we went back to the hotel and finished off the Colheitas which we were able to take with us. LOTS of Port consumption today as most were way too good to spit. Tomorrow is a big day and we'll be trying one of the top new restaurants in the country that several people tell us rivals or some say, bests DOP/DOC. That remains to be seen. Two other great visits coming up.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Did you guys get to taste that fabulous 1970 Colheita again? :yumyum:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn, no we did not get to do the 1970 this time.

Day 4 activities:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 4629626664
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

[1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
- Life is too short to drink bad Port
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phyllis D wrote:
Phyllis,
no updates in a couple days, they must be having a really good time :drunk: [kez_11.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Phyllis D wrote:
Phyllis,
no updates in a couple days, they must be having a really good time :drunk: [kez_11.gif]
The suspense is killing me! They're probably drinking such fantastic Port that they're afraid to tell us about it. :lol:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott