1983 Vintage for a birthday present

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Kelly J.

Re: 1983 Vintage for a birthday present

Post by Kelly J. »

Hey Roy,

Wish you'd posted sooner as the purchase is irreversible at this point... they are already shipped and coming from overseas :oops: I had a heck of a time even finding any for purchase online. Thanks for the offer, though. If it turns out these are somehow returnable without too much grief I'll send you an email.

Thanks!
Kelly
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Kelly,

Do the Port tongs you purchased look like these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubeLgY4vWA
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kelly J.

Post by Kelly J. »

Bummer... looks like I got the ones you don't recommend. Sigh. They are coming from Portugal and they weren't cheap so it looks like I'm stuck with them now. I'll be seriously, seriously saddened if they don't work [dash1.gif] Not much else to do but wait and see, though.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kelly J. wrote:Bummer... looks like I got the ones you don't recommend. Sigh. They are coming from Portugal and they weren't cheap so it looks like I'm stuck with them now. I'll be seriously, seriously saddened if they don't work [dash1.gif] Not much else to do but wait and see, though.
Kelly
Do you have a picture or link to the ones you're getting?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kelly J.

Post by Kelly J. »

Yep,

Bought the ones from that youtube video that Roy said wouldn't work. I'm delighted :mad:

http://www.portwine.com/products/product3-1.htm.

Kelly
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Kelly,

It is not that they don't work at all, it is just that they are much more for show than use. They don't fit all bottle necks properly and often times do not fit the neck tightly enough to apply enough heat to do the intended job. Yes, this is EXACTLY what I would suggest people avoid. [foilhat.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I own four different pairs now, one over the top style and three "flat" ones, all made from what appear to be different types of metal (one being stainless steel). Here's the issue with Port tongs, None of them are the same diameter opening. Some are larger, some smaller, and some between. I use the tongs that fit the bottle as bottles are so very different that there is no one size fits all. No matter what you buy there is no one-size-fits-all.

The biggest issues is the cheap tongs that fall apart once you heat them a few times. Those are mostly for decoration and tend to be less expense than the better ones.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I have tongs that are the flat kind, and I think like the ones that Kelly ordered. They've worked on many bottles. I did have trouble with a 1970 Royal Oporto because of the shape of that bottle. We had to put the tongs on a narrow part of the neck and hold them at an angle to make good contact. (I say we because it did take two people to get this to work, one holding the bottle.) Once we figured that out, success. Fun!
Kelly J.

Post by Kelly J. »

Hey Roy,

Sent you an email about your tongs. The ones I ordered from that site were supposed to arrive on Monday. When they didn't show up I emailed the company and was told they hadn't shipped yet! Sigh. They can get them out today but it will still be two weeks before they get here. I'm beyond disappointed... we're celebrating his birthday tomorrow and I'd really hoped to give them to him with the bottles of port. :(
Andrew Maurer

Post by Andrew Maurer »

"The Fiancee" here! Thanks everyone for steering Kelly right. Reading her posts I'm concerned that shes a more sophisticated port drinker than I am!!

She ended up getting me a 1983 Graham's and a1983 Ferreira "Quito de Seixo".

Last night we popped open the Graham's as we couldn't wait. Some background... we live in the Santa Cruz mountains which has a significant wine-producing economy not unlike Sonoma and Napa counties an hour or so away. So our exposure to port up until now has been CA-style fortified "port" wines and "Late Harvest" wines, etc. I gather that opinions on those styles may not be generally favorable among those in the know, but to be honest with you... we've really enjoyed them up till now; they're our gateway port, if you will. As Kelly mentioned we've also tried some port by the glass at restaurants on occasion and, generally, been disappointed.

Anyway... the 1983 Graham's was... fantastic. I won't fake it: I lack the vocabulary, and maybe even the palate, to really "review" the experience. But I can, at least, compare it with the young California "ports" I'm used to. For one; I see now why port tongs exist... because I wrecked the cork trying to extract it with a conventional corkscrew. It broke into no less than three sections which, thankfully, I managed to extract without TOO much falling into the port... but some did [imnewhere.gif]. Initially I found the smell to be slightly astringent, and I was immediately nervous that my first quality port experience was going to be not unlike the restaurant-port I've had before; that is, tasting like a glass of dessert wine with a shot of rubbing alcohol in it. However the taste completely changes that opinion, absolutely none of the astringency comes through.

However my initial taste is besides the point, as we let is decant for 4 or 5 hours before really tucking in. At that point the astringency was mostly gone and I found it to have all the sweetness of the CA "port" wines we like, but without being cloying as they often can. I don't know how to articulate the difference, but the Graham's has none of the "syrup"-like qualities that sometimes overwhelm us if we're having more than a glass or two. Simply put, fantastic. Maybe someday I'll be able to describe the flavor, but I think I'd just embarrass myself to try right now.

... now here's the interesting twist...

For my birthday dinner tonight we went to my favorite Silicon Valley restaurant; Alexander's Steakhouse. The place is completely out of my price range, so we only go when on raise/promotion/bonus/tax return day, but its a FANTASTIC joint that wins a Wine Spectator award for best wine list nearly every year. And wouldn't you know it... it had a 1983 Cockburn on the list (for $40 a glass :shock: :shock: :shock: )... but hell, its just a tax return, and my birthday, right?!

This may be swimming upstream, but of the two... I think I preferred the Graham's. The Cockburn had many of the same qualities and tastes I enjoyed, but in addition it had a consistent taste of smoke, or tobacco, or wood, on top of the fruit/sweetness from start to finish. It was not in the least bit unpleasant, but it was a more complex flavor, something to be contemplated rather than simply enjoyed while doing other things. I'm sure I'm offending people here with my imprecision, but that's the best I can do. We definitely both liked it, all things considered, but I think we'd reach for the Graham's to just casually sip on for your average weekday. :oops:

Anyway - thanks to all you folks who steered Kelly right. This was a phenomenal present and the start to a great way to lose lots of money... :D [cheers.gif]
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Andrew - That sounds like a great birthday! I'd like to be the first to say [welcome.gif] to the forums.

This group is indeed a fabulous gateway to new and delicious ways to be separated from your money.
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

With Al B on the Warre's '83 - i really enjoy their bottling of this vintage
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Andrew,

Definitely sounds like a fantastic dinner, gotta splurge once in a while. The Graham's '83 is a lovely VP that still has many years ahead of it still so I am very glad you enjoyed it.

As a side I've spend a lot of time in Saratoga/Los Gatos area as some friends and their childred operated Cinnabar vineyard (which has since been sold to Mount Eden). Love the area and sadly I no longer get up there much these days since the property was sold.

Thanks for giving us an update and please do ask any questions you may have regarding Port, Madeira, or Portuguese wines, no matter how trivial you may think it is. We're a very friendly group who loves sharing our knowledge with others and the only way to learn is to ask.