What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Al B. »

Glenn E. wrote:
stenanders ivarsson wrote:Elviro Garcia Vintage 1896
This one sounds familiar. I'd have to check my notes but I think I had this at the Old & Odd tasting in NYC a few years ago. If it is the same as the bottle I am thinking of, it was very good!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Good memory Glenn! You're right. A bottle of this wine made an appearance at a New York tasting in December 2008 - there's a tasting note for it on the database.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

stenanders ivarsson wrote:... In portugese was siad: 'This bottle isa not allowed to sell'.
Welcome Sten. I'm guess that vintage wasn't registered with the IVP/IVDP at the time, so it can't be sold as what it is labeled. All the more interesting.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
This one sounds familiar. I'd have to check my notes but I think I had this at the Old & Odd tasting in NYC a few years ago. If it is the same as the bottle I am thinking of, it was very good!

Opps :oops:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
stenanders ivarsson

Post by stenanders ivarsson »

Al B. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:

Good memory Glenn! You're right. A bottle of this wine made an appearance at a New York tasting in December 2008 - there's a tasting note for it on the database.

I belived that was a Colheita i.e. Reserva and not mentioned Vintage on the label and the label was quite different
but I am old so I maybe wrong
Sten
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

stenanders ivarsson wrote:
Al B. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:stenanders ivarsson wrote: "Elviro Garcia Vintage 1896"

I belived that was a Colheita i.e. Reserva and not mentioned Vintage on the label and the label was quite different
You are right - ours was an 1896 Elviro Garcia "refreshed" Tawny Port and not a Vintage Port.

It was quite dark, though, and could have easily been mistaken for a VP. I don't remember what the bottle looked like or what it said on the lable, though. Perhaps Alex has better notes?
Glenn Elliott
stenanders ivarsson

Post by stenanders ivarsson »

Eric Menchen wrote:
stenanders ivarsson wrote:... In portugese was siad: 'This bottle isa not allowed to sell'.
Welcome Sten. I'm guess that vintage wasn't registered with the IVP/IVDP at the time, so it can't be sold as what it is labeled. All the more interesting.
Yes I did know that when I bourgt the bottle but I can not read Portugese so I did not know until I retuned home what was said on the bottle. But what a lovely port it was. The best 1972 I have had. I recall another odd vintage when I visited George Sandeman some yerars ago. I have been hunted 1959 for some years as I have never tasted this year. George offered me to taste Sandeman 1959 - A very nice bottle from a very odd vintage indeed.
Sten
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Glenn E. wrote:
stenanders ivarsson wrote:I belived that was a Colheita i.e. Reserva and not mentioned Vintage on the label and the label was quite different
You are right - ours was an 1896 Elviro Garcia "refreshed" Tawny Port and not a Vintage Port.

It was quite dark, though, and could have easily been mistaken for a VP. I don't remember what the bottle looked like or what it said on the lable, though. Perhaps Alex has better notes?
What fun - two versions of a real rarity of a port. I've just realised that I did not post my tasting note on this wine, which reads:
AHB wrote:Described on the label as "Refreshed Tawny" from 1896 - and from a shipper that none of the people attending had heard of. Dark brown in colour, darkest of the old wines, cloudy and with a green rim. Full of stink, perhaps maderized. Thick texture in the mouth; full of deep and dark flavours, muscvado sugar and molasses with sweet dates mixed in. Very pleasant in the mouth but the aftertaste is quite short. Old, flavoursome and a nice wine - but very smelly!
There is a picture on the web of the bottle we drank. The label looked like this Image
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

- 1996 Taylor's Vargellas VP (0,375 bottle);
- NV Vasconcellas over 40 yo tawny.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1977 Messias Quinta do Cachao Vintage Port (I'll get a note up soon)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Cockburn Special Reserve

For whatever reason this bottle was a bit "off". Usually this is a very consistent wine, although 24-48 hrs. of air time did improve it quite a bit.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

Feist 30 year tawny.

-- Gary
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Noval 66
Niepoort 87
Morgan 91
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Porto Rocha Extra Dry White Port, 375ml. Very interesting wine - defintiely not something to have with dessert! I was surprised to find that wine-searcher.com doesn't seem to even know this wine exists. This bottle came from Pete's wine in Bellevue, WA back in early February.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

2 bottles of Fonseca '66. The first was light damaged, and was nothing more than brown coloured sugar-water.

The second reserve bottles was better, but suffered from too short a decant time.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Burmester 1955 Colheita, bottled in 1979 - the first bottle from a stash bought last year in the UK, and taken to Vinologia last night where I shared it with Jean Philippe and a few of his customers.

Exceptionally fragrant and smooth, it went down far better than I had dared hope..

..my five remaining bottles will now be saved for special occasions! [cheers.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Tom Archer wrote:Burmester 1955 Colheita ...
Love that one, but it is hard to find. I saw a bottle on eBay Italy I now wish I had purchased. I see a few listings today on wine-searcher that I hadn't seen a while back. Hmmmm ...
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Kopke 1970 VP,

My first VP with definite signs of faults. It had been (and maybe still was) leaking quite a lot, so maybe that was the cause of the off-smell (chemicalish) and off-taste (again quite a lot of iodine, chemicalisch flavours). Not undrinkable but not very enjoyable as well. :(
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Taylor 1970
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

Buddy of mine bought some 1997 Barros Cohleita at Costco. $38. Not earth shattering stuff, but quite good for the tariff. We were somewhat inebriated when we started partaking though so who knows....
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1977 Messias Quinta do Cachão VP