Tawny

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Leo K.

Tawny

Post by Leo K. »

I'm new to the world of port and would like some recommendations regarding Tawny. The range in Sweden is very limited.

The Port range in Sweden: http://web.comhem.se/~u63806869/port/6sort_sv.htm

All recommendations are appreciated.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Kress,

I am not familiar with the currency in Sweden can you tell us how the prices quoted related to GB Pounds, Euro's or US Dollars? - this will allow people to give recommendations based on quality and value for money.

Thanks

Derek
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

100 SKR is appr. 12 Euros...both the Niepoort and Noval 10YOT seem like nice buys: cheaper than here in The Netherlands - and good stuff to boot!
Leo K.

Post by Leo K. »

1 EUR = 9.42 SEK
1 GBP = 13.70 SEK
1 USD = 7,37 SEK
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Leo,

Thank you for joining us here on the FORUM. It is very nice to have another Swede amongst us!!!

Perchance do you know my Swedish friends Miran Kiegl and Sverker Magnuson? (sp?) I ask, because both of them are very serious Port and wine lovers and they have tastings there quite often. Just wondering if your path has crossed with theirs.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Leo K.

Post by Leo K. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Perchance do you know my Swedish friends Miran Kiegl and Sverker Magnuson? (sp?) I ask, because both of them are very serious Port and wine lovers and they have tastings there quite often. Just wondering if your path has crossed with theirs.
No I haven't. Do they arange tastings in Stockholm?

Best regards

Leo
windycityjim

Post by windycityjim »

Ones I've tried and would recommend from your list - the Optima 10 yo is a good one especially for that price. Taylor 10 yo is good, pricier (around $24 here). LBVs - the Graham's 1999 is sweet, the Niepoort is good but totally different in taste - you'll like one or the other, but not both.
windycityjim
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

windycityjim wrote:LBVs - the Graham's 1999 is sweet, the Niepoort is good but totally different in taste - you'll like one or the other, but not both.
Jim,

I can't understand your logic here. I have tasted almost all of the different styles of port available (Garafierra eludes me to date!) and many bottles from individual styles and can hardly remember any that I did not enjoy to one degree or another. In fact, the only bottles I have not enjoyed at all have been those that are spoiled through being corked, leaking or bad storage. I accept that you may not like both of these wines but I can't see how you could assume this would be the same for anyone else. Each to their own taste!

Derek
windycityjim

Post by windycityjim »

Derek,

You have never had a wine you haven't liked? Wow. In each category of beverages, whether it be single malt scotches, bottled water, or ports, there are variations from maker to maker. A person can clearly taste and differeniate between the various makers. Doing such, one forms a hiarchy, a preference, for one over another. In ports, Graham's tastes different from a Noval, which tastes different from a Niepoort, which tastes different from a Kopke. And while you are right that a person's taste is individual and highly personalized, mine is such that I prefer a Taylor to a Graham's and a Graham's to a Niepoort. And yes, there are some makers of single malt scotches, bottled waters, and ports that I would not buy and drink.

Jim
windycityjim
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Jim,

I have had wine I did not like. I have not had an unspoiled port that I did not like, although I obviously have had some that I preferred to others. What I can't get is your opinion that someone who you do not know will like one specific port or another but not both. You have no way of knowing this, even if it is true for you. My 2 favourite ports will not be the same as yours or Roy's or Fred's or Andy's or Alex's or Tom's or anyone else's. Each to their own!

The question posed by Kress at the start of this thread was "I'm new to the world of port and would like some recommendations regarding Tawny" - why not encourage Kress to try every style he can find and make his own mind up about what he likes and dislikes?

Derek
windycityjim

Post by windycityjim »

Derek,

Well, I would say he should try as many as he can afford to, and perhaps he will like them all. I also agree that taste IS individual. If it weren't individually discriminating, we would't be having this discussion. But I stand by my belief that even within the tawny subcategory, there may be ones he discovers that he won't like, or at least will not buy again.

Jim
windycityjim
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Jim,

I now fully agree with your position as stated in your last message 8)

What I was disagreeing with was your original assertion that if Kress liked one specific wine he would not like another specific wine. Whilst I fully accept that the particular example you quoted is true for you, you have no way on knowing whether or not it is true for Kress.

As an example, I like eating salmon but I don't like eating squid. However, I can't tell you that if you do like salmon you won't like squid.

Derek