Buying stratgey for 2nd half of 2012

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Buying stratgey for 2nd half of 2012

Post by Roy Hersh »

Generalizing broadly, it appears as if some Port prices have been decreasing ever so slightly in recent months. Regardless, do you plan to buy any more or less in the second half of the year than you did in the first half?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Re: Buying stratgey for 2nd half of 2012

Post by Paul Fountain »

My plan is to just keep an eye out on what is around. If it is good and the prices are good then I'll buy. It's unlikely I'll see any retail price decreases that you mentioned in my part of the world but you never know.
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

The facebook IPO would seem to be lucrative :wink:

I didn't realize the '85 Fonseca could be found for so low considering the quality I've read about.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Andrew E wrote:The facebook IPO would seem to be lucrative :wink:

I didn't realize the '85 Fonseca could be found for so low considering the quality I've read about.
This vintage of Fonseca has come down in price quite a bit over the past 8-10 months. It was averaging around the $85-100/bottle at auction for quite a while and has now dropped to around the $65-70-ish mark. Though I've seen well stored bottled as low as $45/bottle. In general, Port prices at auction seem to be all over the map the past year or so. With some dropping quite low and some staying high for no apparent reason.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Andrew E wrote:The facebook IPO would seem to be lucrative :wink:

This vintage of Fonseca has come down in price quite a bit over the past 8-10 months. It was averaging around the $85-100/bottle at auction for quite a while and has now dropped to around the $65-70-ish mark. Though I've seen well stored bottled as low as $45/bottle. In general, Port prices at auction seem to be all over the map the past year or so. With some dropping quite low and some staying high for no apparent reason.
It's a strange phenomenon - at a couple of UK auctions i was bidding at last week, good cases of F85 went for £50+ less (per case) than Warre 85, Dow 85, Taylor 85, Taylor 80, Graham 83 and 85. But there has been a fair bit of it coming up for sale recently (someone once told me that F85 was a huge declaration by comparison to almost any other VP - and particularly by comparison to 00/03/07/09 standards).
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

My port buying strategy for the 2nd half of 2012 consists of The Port Harvest tour [cheers.gif]
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well that will likely only amount to 150+ Ports to try, Luc. Have you practiced spitting? [friends.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Roy Hersh wrote:Well that will likely only amount to 150+ Ports to try, Luc. Have you practiced spitting? [friends.gif]
As my better half says : " La modération a bien meilleur goût "

Then again , she said the same thing the last time Fred and I were in Boston :oops:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .