TN: Virtual Tasting Dow's Crusted Port

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Thanks for the comments , Tom. I had no experience with the crusted. If it is not from the same year it is bottled, I guess they keep it in the ruby state in a steel tank instead of an oak barrel.
Maybe I like port too much and maybe I inflate my points unintentionally but I find these LBV,s NV's , crusteds, etc. to be much better than most every one else.
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

rahenderson wrote:...Maybe I like port too much and maybe I inflate my points unintentionally but I find these LBV,s NV's , crusteds, etc. to be much better than most every one else.
Richard,

That is the great thing about wine. Everyone has ones they love more or less than others. I always tell people to try as much as you can. Other than expanding your palate, it's a great way to stumble across those hidden "jems."

BTW, you can never like port too much :salute: :D
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
*John Trombley

My take on recent Dow Crusted

Post by *John Trombley »

There have been adequate supplies of this wine in the Midwest US for the last couple or three years and I've tasted it several times, but didn't note the bottling date. All tastings have been since about 2002, I'd say. Because I wasn't impressed with the wine, I never bothered to make a formal note.

Compared to a Crusted Graham's in my cellar since about 1990, this wine definitely comes across short and simple. There are certainly several traditional late-bottled vintages that at this price point are noticeably superior. It doesn't even adequately represent the typical house style, which I'd think would be a minimum requirement. The Graham's certainly does this, and looks to me to be holding or even slightly still improving. Sorry I didn't buy more of this at about $18 when it was released.

Scores by me would have to be low 80's for the Dow and quite high 80s for the Graham, quite a difference at what is, considering inflation, about the same price.

I'm sorry to see such wines come off this modestly, given the fact that good ones can nearly rival VP at a fraction of the cost. Some bottles of the Grahams 77 in my cellar would be about as good as the Grahams crusted, I'd say.
Best, John Trombley Piqua (Miami County, on the Miami-Erie Canais, OH)
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

update:

Now that I think about it, I DO end up tasting some mint. I actually like it quite a bit, even after a week in. It might have mellowed a little bit and lost some upfront fruit, I dunno. It doesn't seem to yet be going through that "getting stronger, then pungent, then mellow and sweet" phase that I have noticed for some of my other LBV's. Actually, it tastes pretty similar to my Graham's 2000 LBV, but after 3 weeks + some mint.
I now think it might be my favorite ruby style port, after the Blackstone.

BTW, I also put some in a pasta sauce I was making, and it turned out well.