Quevedo Port is making a Crusted Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Quevedo Port is making a Crusted Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Oscar has announced on his blog they are making a very small amount (1,500 bottles) of Crusted Port. It's a blend of vintages 2008, 2009, 2010, and a bit of 2011. Not many producers still make this type of Port so it's exciting to see another join in.
As far as my research goes, it looks like we are going to be the first Portuguese Port Wine family to have a Crusted Port. Please correct me if I am wrong. Other Crusted Ports currently on the markets are: Churchill, Dow, Fonseca, Graham and Niepoort.

We plan to make only 1.500 bottles of it, so it is going to be a very small edition with a very long waiting time, as we will bottle it next weeks, leave it in the bottle for three years and only then releasing it to the market. I know, no one likes to wait but without all these months the crust will not develop in the bottle, and we do not want an uncrusted Crusted Port!!!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL DETAILS FROM QUEVEDO'S WEBSITE
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: Quevedo Port is making a Crusted Port

Post by John M. »

This is great news. Oscar, can you get some over here in the states (in three years)? :thumbsup:
Any Port in a storm!
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

yea if he has enough to come state side, I'll try and put it on the ny market.

waiting on the damn licenses to get approved.

in the mean time, I'll have the rest of oscar's line up available in NY as soon as i get the red tape sorted out
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

He heard the call and responded to the consumer. Good for Quevedo and I bet it's going to be a great product. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I bet it's going to be a great product
It will be - we had great fun blending it.. :wink:
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Thank you Andy for sharing this here! Actually, it was weird when we finished the bottling and started laying down the bottles in containers. I was looking at my sister and saying, We better have this crust in 3 years, otherwise it's going to be a big disappointment for all of us. Then I realized that some regular tasting will be necessary, so please feel free to stop by and help us with that!

During the blending process we counted with the precious skills of Tom Archer to get as close as possible to perfection, so a public thank you to Tom!

John, we will keep a batch to the US market for sure!
Jeff, I hope you get that license quick, we need to put the Quevedo flag in NY!
Moses, we will keep some for you :wink:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Congratulations to Oscar and all the Quevedo family. It is nice to see one of the Portuguese families in the business, continuing to innovate and exploring one of the old categories. Not much Crusted in the marketplace, even less here in the USA. We see a decent amount of Dow's but not much beyond that here. Look forward to trying this in the future! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Oscar -- I too am very interested in your project. I *love* a good crusted Port and too have one from Quevedo would be special indeed. Cangradulations and I look forward to tasting it!