Portuguese Cheese

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Matt Slayen
Location: San Francisco Area, California, United States of America - USA

Portuguese Cheese

Post by Matt Slayen »

Slightly off topic.
For those who have been to Portugal, What is the name of the small cheese that restauarants usually bring to the table with the bread and butter? It is a white cheese with a thick waxy rind?

thanks.

MATT
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Castelo Branco?
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I don't know the name, but I know that this is fresh goat cheese that last for 1-2 days.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have had so many Portuguese cheeses during this trip that it would be hard to discern which you are specifically referencing. I am sure that Mario or Gustavo will be able to help you.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Roy, you know it is the small white cup of cheese the size of a 2 euros coins and maybe 2 inches tall.
Frederick Blais

Roy, you know it is the small white cup of cheese the size of a 2 euros coins and maybe 2 inches tall.
Joao Coelho

Post by Joao Coelho »

A couple of answers to that one:
The 2 inch tall and about the same in diameter is called Queijo Fresco, which translates to Fresh Cheese.
There's no particular brand to it. It's usually produced by the nearest small farmer.
You'll also see this for sale and at the restaurant tabe in it's dry format. Basically they let it sit for a few days and then it becomes Queijo Seco, or Dry Cheese. I like them both and I usually have 2 or 3 each time :)

Then there's another variation called Requeijao, or Re-cheese. Not sure how it's produced, but it has to do with taking the left overs of the Queijo Fresco production and produce this one. Very good also and it comes usually in a small basket about the size of a hand.

Hope this helps!
- Joao