Do you spit or swallow Port at a big tasting?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Do you spit or swallow Port at a big tasting?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've noticed on our tours that there are some people who tend to spit everything they try no matter what. Others spit nothing for an entire week. Then there are those who are a bit more judicious in their decision of whether to spit or swallow the Ports when we're visiting a producer, depending on what is served/in the glass.

For those that may be new to Port, or wine or to FTLOP, I am going to share a video some local Somm friends put together, on exactly how to spit and some good and er, not so good ways to go about it. Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/39379384

It would be interesting to hear what is your protocol. Feel free to chime in.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Do you spit or swallow Port at a big tasting?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Depends.
If a small tasting of high quality Ports, then I swallow.
If a large tasting of Ruby Reserves and Basic Tawnys, then I spit.
If a mix, I swallow the better ones and spit the lesser ones. [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:Depends.
If a mix, I swallow the better ones and spit the lesser ones. [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Pretty much the same here. It really depends on the setting and what's before me. Large trade tastings, I'm spitting almost everything as I am more focused on getting good notes and there is just too much to drink in a short time without getting :drunk: , which I don't want.

Something like the Harvest Trip, I'm spitting some and drinking others. Just depends on what it is and how well I like it vs. staying relatively sober during the day.

Private gatherings like the big Fonseca Guimaraens or Malvedos tastings that stretch over many hours with dinner almost all ends up getting consumed.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I generally drink everything I taste. It takes a pretty large tasting with some pretty meager Ports before I'll spit. Then again, I've never been to a trade show-sized tasting, so I've never really been somewhere that it wasn't possible to drink the Port I was served.

That said, there have been occasions when I was not in the best of condition at the end of the tasting! :oops: :drunk:
Glenn Elliott
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

I'm not exactly sure what this says about me, but ...

Prior to any planned experience where I'll be tasting a good amount of wine (port, in this case), I always THINK I'll be spitting. I always PLAN to spit.
... but I never do.

That said, I haven't attended a tasting with more than 15 or 20 different sips; or had a full day of exploring with more than 25-30 sips.

I will also note that I won't always FINISH what I am poured... (probably because I know if it goes into my mouth, it's not getting spit out, even though it probably seems like more of a waste.) So that's where I draw my line... "will a second sip even make it to my lips?"

By the way, I should note that the "coffee cup with lid" idea is pretty intriguing, haha. A good idea! (for those that feel self conscious about spitting)
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Eric Ifune wrote:Depends.
+1

The possible exception to this rule is if I'm a very large tasting of high quality Ports. In that case I typically spit so that I can remain fairly sober and still be able to appreciate the Ports served later in the evening.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Depends on the size of the event what is being served. I can put down my fair share of port as much as the next guy... If it's possible to kill the whole line up without spitting, that is my first pick.

For me, once the tasting goes beyond 3 bottles per person, I'll probably have to spit cheaper stuff. I can handle the 2 bottle person port sittings no problem.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I used to go to a lot of trade tastings, and I would always spit. If only because it was important to keep a clear head to be able to assess the wines. Now I only go to casual tastings and they are far and between. Those are purely for enjoyment so no reason to spit.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I'll spit when tasting, but not when drinking. For me it all depends on whether I'm trying to take notes or not.

At a trade tasting where I'm trying to work my way through 100+ ports, I will spit virtually everything. There will inevitably be one or two exceptions (at the BFT these were Graham 1970, Warre 1963, Fonseca 1985 and Sandeman 2007) but not enough to compromise my ability to take notes.

If it's a Vintage focused offline, I will sometimes spit, but this is unusual. Normally I will cautiously work my way through the line-up in front of me, taking one or two sips from each glass until I have made notes on everything and then I'll go back to the beginning and wipe up what's left in front of me. If I spit, it will be because that particular glass would reduce my abilities to focus too much to make it worth swallowing the wine.

And it's always fun to go into a winery and ask for a spitoon - the staff always seem to be completely astonished that anyone would want to spit!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

What Glenn said. But I think I'm going to have to spit next time I visit a winery just to see their reaction.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Does it make a difference if it is a walk around tasting (trade or consumer) with lots of Ports or one that is more formal and seated?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

No, not for me.
The bigger the tasting, the more I spit. Even if it always make me feel very unladylike...
After the tasting I usually have a few sips (if possible) of the wines I liked most.
When I attend a small tasting I swallow most wines, at least the ones I like!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Monique,

You ARE one of us! :scholar: [cheers.gif]
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

From the point of view of not wishing to get drunk, I can understand why some people need to spit, especially if they are working all day long in a tasting room.

However, the antics of pretentious wine writers who seem to think they can impress through ostentatious spitting, I can well do without..

Wine is intended to be drunk, and the finish as it slips down your throat is an important part of the experiance.

In general, if I have a lot to try, I will take very small sips, and let it slide down. If something impresses me, I may take a larger mouthful, and make my way discretely to the spittoon.

- But if i don't have that much to try, - I'll drink it.. [cheers.gif]
Roel B

Post by Roel B »

It depends. The issue with most tastings is that I usually have to drive home afterwards. Which means: being responsible with alcohol and spitting most of the wines. As most tastings end with the best wines, I save the swallowing for those ;-)

Also, in my experience, drinking even moderate amounts of alcohol impairs the ability to smell and taste later wines, and make a good TN or judgement of the wine. So I usually start out spitting all the wines and drinking lots of water. As the session progresses, my level of self-discipline usually drops a bit and the last wines will probably be swallowed.

Roel.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Typically - spit, spit, spit! I am a dedicated spitter... even when going on normal winery visits. Of course I am also usually the driver! [cheers.gif]
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

What is this "spitting" you are referring to??? I'm genuinely confused. [shrug.gif]
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

What is this "spitting" you are referring to??? I'm genuinely confused.
Sound fellow!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Same Queen, what do you expect? :roll: :mrgreen:
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Depends on the situation.
In an organized tasting with many ports (like Harvest Tours), the best and/or oldest tends to be presented towards the end of the tasting session. Unless there is something extraordinary at an early stage of the session, then I spit half way through. By that way I am in a better position to taste the interesting ports.

When being at a trade occassions then 90 % is for spitting.
But I am doing as Monique, going back to those I really like and at that time for consuming and swallowing (and therefore never driving!)