2012 growing season update

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2012 growing season update

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: 2012 growing season update

Post by Derek T. »

An excellent and very educational blog post. It makes me want to be there [beg.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Very much worth the read. A fantastic job of explaining, and showing with pictures, how different the micro-climates are even within a single Quinta.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Here is a report from the Symington Family Estates on how the first half of the year has progressed (posted with permission)
THE FIRST HALF OF THE YEAR IN THE DOURO
First impressions don’t always count

Irregular climate patterns are not uncommon in the Douro, but this year has been most unusual. Observing the lovely green vineyards in the valley in June you could have easily been forgivenfor thinking that all was well. First impressions however, are not always right.

The data at Quinta do Bomfim indicates that the 2011/2 winter has been the driest in the Douroin the last 40 years, as well as the third coldest since 1931. Readings taken at various depths in the Douro show that soil humidity has been at very low levels throughout this winter. In June and July the readings have been at levels only normally seen in August and September, the region’s very driest months.

The viticultural cycle starts in November, and to the end of June there has been a cumulative rain shortfall of 274 mm or 48%, about half the average water. In the 4 months from December to the end of March, a total of just 54 mm fell at Pinhão. The average for the single month of January is virtually double that, at 104 mm. As a result, by early April we were preparing to water our one-year-old vines, an unheard of requirement at that time of the year.

Thankfully April and May brought normal rainfall and even more important, the average temperatures have been below average for most of this year, hence the fine looking vineyards in June. But the Douro has missed out on a substantial part of the important winter water reserves. The spring rain was not enough to reverse the rapidly declining soil moisture levels, whose steep downward curve commenced last November. The Portuguese Meteorological Office has now classified over 50% of the country as being in ‘extreme drought’ conditions, mostly its central and southern areas. The situation is not so dramatic in the Douro, but even here, most of the region — as of the first week of July — is now classified at the next level down from ‘extreme drought’ to ‘severe drought’, which is hardly comforting.

Overall, these conditions have resulted in poor fruit set in some varietals and this will result in a smaller than average crop. This will be advantageous as there will be less demand on each vine to ripen its fruit. The next 6 to 7 weeks leading up to the harvest will be crucial; we are hoping for some relatively cool weeks and hopefully even a little rain in August. An absence of rain and very high temperatures will create conditions for a very challenging harvest. Although this is nothing
the Douro’s hardy farmers and their indigenous vines are unfamiliar with.

July 2012
Quinta do Bomfim, Douro, Portugal
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Symington Family

Post by Symington Family »

Hi Roy and Andy, to let you know that a bad hailstorm hit us here yesterday afternoon at 5pm. The storm was forecast, but not the extent of the hail. Some vineyards in the Pinhao valley have been shredded. Others just got a welcome drenching of water. But where the hail hit, it is really not good, with deep cuts in the berries. Many small farmers are understandably very upset as their grapes are their only source of income. The storm swept across the Pinhao valley and over towards Ervedosa and Pesqueira. I am not sure of the extent of damage to other people's vineyards, but we have sustained some damage at Cavadinha and on my own 14 hectares at Netas. I was in Regua at the time and there was not even a drop of rain. So following a severe drought, we now get this. Making Port in the Douro is never an easy task!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Symington Family wrote:Hi Roy and Andy, to let you know that a bad hailstorm hit us here yesterday afternoon at 5pm. The storm was forecast, but not the extent of the hail. Some vineyards in the Pinhao valley have been shredded. Others just got a welcome drenching of water. But where the hail hit, it is really not good, with deep cuts in the berries. Many small farmers are understandably very upset as their grapes are their only source of income. The storm swept across the Pinhao valley and over towards Ervedosa and Pesqueira. I am not sure of the extent of damage to other people's vineyards, but we have sustained some damage at Cavadinha and on my own 14 hectares at Netas. I was in Regua at the time and there was not even a drop of rain. So following a severe drought, we now get this. Making Port in the Douro is never an easy task!
Thanks for the update and very sorry to hear about the damage. Not good, especially coming on the heels of a tough season already. Lets all pray the rest of the year takes a turn for the better.

(Note: Graham's Facebook page mentioned that Quinta dos Malvedos a few miles away was thankfully spared from the hail)

And for some good news; The Symington Family has donated a new ambulance to the voluntary fire department in Lamego. Full Story HERE on the Graham's Blog :thumbsup:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, thank you so much for the update re: the hail storm. I saw the results of one that came in late May/early June too, while at Quinta do Crasto. I will never forget the really bad one that was on June 14, 2006 which hurt lots of growers and really was bad in some vineyards, avoiding those even in neighboring vineyards which was weird. Obviously these severe storms travel in odd paths. I hope that there was some rain that followed!?!?

BTW: That ambulance news was reported long ago. [shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:
I thought the same, then I remembered they also donated another one last year as well. That is if my getting old memory is correct. :lol:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:
I thought the same, then I remembered they also donated another one last year as well. That is if my getting old memory is correct. :lol:
I believe your memory us fine, unless of course mine is also wrong. ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

News has reached me of a devastating hailstorm on Wednesday. Bomfim and Cavadinha may have lost 30% of their crop, and at Portal the destruction is reported as being near total. Other top quintas are certain to have suffered grevious losses..

..not good news... :(
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:News has reached me of a devastating hailstorm on Wednesday. Bomfim and Cavadinha may have lost 30% of their crop, and at Portal the destruction is reported as being near total. Other top quintas are certain to have suffered grevious losses..

..not good news... :(
Tom,
See the above post by Paul Symington about the hail.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Andy,

My information came from Dom, to quote:

"The damage at Portal is absolutely devastating! I've never seen anything like it!"
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom it just sounded like you missed the above post. No worries. :)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Portal mentioned on their Facebook page something about 30 hectares. Sounded like that was what was damaged but not sure. It was a bit hard to understand what they were referring to.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Home now...here is what the Portal Facebook said (2 diff posts)
This came out first
I know I should have informed friends of what is happening, but time has not given to everything and we are now trying to remedy the situation. News about what happened, came out a lot during the day, and just a brief survey to stay abreast of what happened and its size.
What I want at this stage is just to say that we are doing what we have, which is trying to save what we can, and also thank you for the words of support from friends and even those who do not would expect to hear the words of encouragement and demonstrate that friends are not only those with who else talked ...
Thanks to everyone and wanted to convey that we keep head lifted and sleeves, and for this we count on your friendship.
This one was later and translated by Google.
Thanks to the efforts of these three men, under the guidance of vineyard manager :) Miguel Sousa, we address the 30ha allocated within the period we had, which were 48 hours after the wounds of the past four hailed Monday. The very high they can lift my glass, and I ask you all to join me in this toast ... Tchim, Tchim!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

From Portal's Facebook page regarding the hail damage...
...30ha from a total of 105ha... no problem for the Reds and Ports. unfortunally for the whites have to find different blend. Will try to make this year, "un blanc the noir"