1992 Churchill Agua Alta Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Bill Spohn

1992 Churchill Agua Alta Port

Post by Bill Spohn »

1992 Churchill Agua Alta Port – once again I wanted to try and stump some of the Port mavens in the group. I’d been searching for an errant half case of Warres 1977 in the cellar for another dinner I did recently (still haven’t located it) and unearthed this forgotten Port, which I’d tasted early on, been less than enthused and consigned it to further cellaring in hope that age would improve it. It did. This house is of recent vintage, going back to only 1981 and the owner was unable to use his own name (Graham) so used the maiden name of his wife for their new Port house.

This single quinta wine was dark, slightly ripe and a little hot with a nose of crème caramel and espresso, medium weight, less sweet than, for instance, Grahams, and with good length. I was very pleasantly surprised at how this wine has turned around (I’d seen some mediocre reviews when researching it) and I don’t think there is a lot of rush to drink it so expect to try it again in a few years.
Rob C.

Re: 1992 Churchill Agua Alta Port

Post by Rob C. »

Bill Spohn wrote:This house is of recent vintage, going back to only 1981 and the owner was unable to use his own name (Graham) so used the maiden name of his wife for their new Port house.

To elaborate, i think the company itself is called "Churchill Graham", but the port is sold under the brand "Churchill's" (the owner with the name "Graham" being, i think, of the family lineage that founded Graham's port!)