1983 Grahams Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Jay Woodruff

1983 Grahams Vintage Port

Post by Jay Woodruff »

Seems that somehow the 83 Ports I have always are backup wines to the 85, 77, or earlier ports. Nevertheless, my brother in law was due to arrive and had expressed on many occasions an interest in port but realistically had had at most a LBV.

To remedy this tragedy I pulled a Grahams 83. Decanted at 10:30 am, rebottled at 6pm and tasted at 7:30pm that night. Silky and wonderful, some plum (not stewed)and red fruit, the alcohol had blown off completely. My brother in law was a convert.

I had tasted this wine when opened and it seemed light. Picked up considerable weight over the hours in the cellar and was a very nice and smooth treat for the evening.

Jay.
Last edited by Jay Woodruff on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jay Woodruff.
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

Jay,

A great Port I've always loved.
I'll admit, that at Roy's recommendation, when drank side by side with the 85 it's far less impressive, but a great bottle nonetheless!
Any Port in a Storm
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have always felt that the Graham's was one of the top handful of Vintage Ports from the '83 vintage. It is focused, approachable and extremely tasty. What's not to love? :winebath:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

This is one of the beloved's and my favorite ports from our anniversary year. Cellar Tracker says we have 11 of them left. We once had many more, purchasing a few cases from Rare Wine in the mid 90's for the princely sum of $25 plus shipping. Those were the days!
Richard Henderson