2004 vintage port buying advice

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Peter McA

Post by Peter McA »

I am hoping to buy a magnum, or failing that 6/12 bottles of 2004 vintage port which I intend to lie down in our cellar for 16-19 years for a present for our Godson's 18th/21st.
I am hoping to acquire the port as soon as possible, preferably en primeur, any advice on where and which VP to buy (I do realise it will probably not be a large declaration)??
Many thanks!
Pete.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Pete,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. Just to let you know...If you could please add your real name and location to your profile. This is a "real name" forum, thanks. If I knew your location that would help me and others answer your question.

Thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Pete,

Welcome 8)

From the list of declarations I have seen so far I would think Quinta do Vesuvio would be a safe bet for the long term.

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Vesuvio will probably be in top form in 15-25 years, Roriz 20-30 years, although it's very early days and we havn't seen much in the way of reviews yet...

BUT...

Don't rush out to buy at the first opportunity. Rather perversely, vintage port prices are tending to fall for the first few years after their release, and the only prices I have seen for the 2004 have been absurdly inflated.

Better to give your godson a gilt edged IOU :D

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Pete,

Thanks for taking the time to sign up. Good to see you here. Please do go to the PROFILE button on the top of this page (as Andy recommended) and add your city/state/country. Thanks!

As I've mentioned, I have had about 15 2004s so far and will be doing another tasting on Thursday of this week, for local FTLOP members with 5 more bottles.

From first tasting, I have been very excited by the Warre's Quinta da Cavadinha, and it was the standout of the Symington Ports that I tried. There are others from the Fladgate Partnership too that were superb. This year, since it is a non-declared vintage (2004) and the fact that these wines MAY not get released for a number of years ... which I will explain in a minute ... I will wait until AFTER our trip to Portugal in October to release a 2004 Vintage Review.

I do not like to produce such an article from only one tasting of a wine, or what I call a snapshot view of it. I am held "accountable" for years to come by the words and scores I release, and would rather be accurate than quick to rush an article to press.

That said, the 2004s I have tried do not come close to the quality of 2003s overall. I believe the shippers got this one right. Also, it would not help their cause having two vintages next to each other, unless both were outstanding. So there are going to be mostly 2nd label VPs produced. The prices, (if released this fall in the USA and late winter in the UK) would be quite low, so often times the Port trade will hold back their releases of these wines for 5-10 years so that when released they are ready to drink and can fetch higher prices. I still believe we will see some of these ... in small quantities ... hit the US market towards the end of the year. But since the sell through of 2003 was only good and not great, the 2004s will also be held back for later release dates. I hope this is all clear and please do feel free to ask questions.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter McA

Post by Peter McA »

Andy, Derek, Uncle Tom & Roy - thanks very much for your advice and time, it's much appreciated!
My profile should now look a bit more complete (schoolboy error!) and upon your advice I think the guilt edged IOU looks like the best bet for now (Freddy would probably would not appreciate VP at 2 years old anyway!).
I will await any more updates and advice, as well as your vintage review towards the end of the year Roy.
Thanks again everybody, I think having read some of the rest of the other post topics is going to be a vast increase in VP in my cellar soon - hopefully!!
Pete.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Pete,

Have no fear. One thing I can guarantee, is that this group can find many a great way for you to SPEND money on Port. No doubt about that! :roll:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com