Port vs Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Vachon

Port vs Madeira

Post by John Vachon »

I swing back and forth-about mid 90's it was all Madeira(before that port) for 7-8 years-now it's

all port(I drink 03 & 22 Bual-that are great but I just want Port).

I know tastes change I loved Calf. Chardonnay for 30+ years now will not drink.

From early 70's thru mid 90's if was Bord. since Burgundy.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Port vs Madeira

Post by Roy Hersh »

I love both. Would have to only have one and not the other. They are so very different and there is a clear reason for pulling one and not the other, from my cellar.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I love both. Would have to only have one and not the other. They are so very different and there is a clear reason for pulling one and not the other, from my cellar.
+1
And then there's the difference between wood aged and botled aged Ports.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I don't have much enthusiasm for young madeira, but the really old ones can be fabulous.

Whilst I can drink and enjoy cheap ports (when there's nothing better around..) I can't say the same about cheap madeira.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In one sentence, "young" in the next, "cheap" ...

I've definitely had YOUNG vintage Madeira that had won me over for sure: two examples, 1968 D'Oliveiras Bual and 1988 D'Olly Terrantez. Neither is cheap.

I don't often see "cheap" Madeira being sold around here, nearly ever. The least expensive I've seen was about $25, which may be "cheap" for a Madeira but it is not like Rainwater which is just about impossible to purchase in these parts, although I know it can be found in the USA. Just a rarity here in WA state.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:
I don't often see "cheap" Madeira being sold around here, nearly ever. The least expensive I've seen was about $25, which may be "cheap" for a Madeira but it is not like Rainwater which is just about impossible to purchase in these parts, although I know it can be found in the USA. Just a rarity here in WA state.
Didn't know it was that tough to find up there. It's the other way around down here. Rainwater is pretty easy to find but better Madeira's can be a bit tougher. And lets not get into the pricing of it down here, which has some significant differences depending on which store you find it in.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

Rainwater was all I could find in the Everett area while I lived there, and I didn't find any malmsey until I went down to Bellevue.
I guess we were just a little less sophisticated up there, haha.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I wouldn't touch that comment with a 10' pole. [foilhat.gif]

Looking around in Bellevue, you'd likely have to go to a Safeway supermarket if there was ANY real chance of finding Rainwater there. Everett ... well, shut my mouth. Nice place, but not one that I'd ever expect to find something like a fine bottle of Madeira.
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

Ha, isn't Rainwater considered to be a lower end version of Madeira? I could be mistaken as I've only had 2 bottles of Madeira in my whole tasting experience. Anyways, there was alway a bottle or two in either the Edmonds or Mill Creek central Market.