Review of 20 year old Tawnies

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Michael Ferrier

Review of 20 year old Tawnies

Post by Michael Ferrier »

Decanter Magazine's review may be of interest (I assume it to be largely the work of Richard Mayson)
http://www.decanter.com/wine/labels/342 ... #slideshow
Bradley Bogdan

Re: Review of 20 year old Tawnies

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I saw that in my subscription copy a bit ago, was surprised at the huge score for the Dalva, close to perfect.
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Some strange results there, at least to my palate. But it does make me want to open a couple of bottles I've been saving... I have a Dalva 20-yr old that I think I need to try!
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Not seeing any Dalva on wine searcher, is it findable at us retail or not really?
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Mine was hand-carried back from Portugal after the 2010 Harvest Tour. I've never seen it in the US, but then again I haven't really spent any time looking for it either.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Not seeing any Dalva on wine searcher, is it findable at us retail or not really?
It is sold in the USA under the "Presidential" label, so look for that here in the States. No idea why they don't simply call it Dalva here.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I've bought the Presidential 20-year in the New Hampshire stores. It comes in a sort of decanter-shaped bottle. They sell it for around $65. It was good, but not outstanding. My taste in tawnies tends more toward Noval, Niepoort, and Ramos Pinto. (And more toward 40-year old.)
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:Not seeing any Dalva on wine searcher, is it findable at us retail or not really?
It is sold in the USA under the "Presidential" label, so look for that here in the States. No idea why they don't simply call it Dalva here.
Ah, I was under the impression Presidential was a kind of little brother brand to Dalva, not just a rebrand for the US market. Good to know!
-Brad

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I wish that they had given the bottling date for each one of these Ports. I assume it's the most current bottling, but that can vary from 2010 - 2013 for most houses. So unless you know the current bottling date, you are never quite sure it's the most recent. Ok... If it says 2013 the you are sure ;-)
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I think It is fair to say that a strong majority of :ftlop: would dissagree with the article .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Kind of a joke that I thought this was a US targeted website and most of the top port is not sold here or impossible to find. Not like most could write down the top 5-6 and go to the local packy to find them. I don't have a beef with what is on the list except for Graham, Fonseca and Warre; none very known for tawny. Where's Ferreira?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John F. Newman

Post by John F. Newman »

Luc Gauthier wrote:I think It is fair to say that a strong majority of :ftlop: would dissagree with the article .
sounds like a good new topic... or a mission for the next meeting(s) of all the different tasting groups on this site.