Multi: 2000 Presidential LBV Port & 1985 Burmester & 1992 Krohn's Colheita Port

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

simon Lisle

Multi: 2000 Presidential LBV Port & 1985 Burmester & 1992 Krohn's Colheita Port

Post by simon Lisle »

Presidential 2000 lbv run of the mill lbv nothing offensive on par with others I've tasted(I'm not a great fan of lbvs if anyone can reccomend a good one let me know I tend to think there are better ports out there for the same money).$10
Krohn colheita 92.I was dissapointed with this one very light lacking body and taste a bit of afterburn on the finish.$14
Burmester 85.As soon as I decanted this one I knew it was going to be good.The aroma as it hit the decanter was heaven sent ahhhh.Decanted for seven hours rich deep colour swirled around the mouth lovely full on fruit finishing with a long touch of coffee.A good one,I can't make my mind up about this and the warres 85 which is best They are two different styled ports so I think I'll leave it at that.I know one thing they will be hard to beat by other 85's at the moment.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Simon,

Thanks for the contribution. The '85 Burmester is one of my favorites of the vintage and certainly one of the finest VPs made by this house They are better known for their Colheitas and anyone who has ever tried the 1963 Colheita that they produced will know why they are an esteemed name for wood-aged Ports. The '85 Burmester should live for at least another 3 decades!

I know you are a big fan of Warre, so I am not surprised that the '85 has tickled your fancy. Do you think it will achieve the greatness that you feel the '63 Warre has achieved?
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

Thanks Roy I'll look out for it
Kurt Wieneke

85 Burmester

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

I am glad to see some recent, promising notes the 85 Burmester. I have a lone bottle, and it sounds like I need to be in no hurry to drink it. Broadbent has alot of complaints about the 85 Burmester. But I trust Simon's and Roy's palate more than I trust Broadbent's. :wink:
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

Roy I like the 85 over the 63 at this moment in time.I think the 63 is on a gentle slide.I thought it peaked about 15 years ago.The harder question which is the 70's over the 77's I can't really answer.I think time will only tell. They are both showing superbly.
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

In truth I think the 85 will match the 63