2011 Vintage Port is declared

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Vintage Port is declared

Post by Roy Hersh »

Purchasing grapes is not out of the question. Yes, I know SQVP producers are not supposed to do that. :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Wine Exchange in LA just came out with their futures list. Ill post it when I'm not on my phone. Some great prices, including sub $50 on Smith-Woodhouse
-Brad

Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I just learned that BORGES also chose NOT to declare 2011.

I know there are reasons why a company decides to declare, or not, a particular vintage Port. However, it seems like if you are in the Port business, when a high quality and presigious vintage like 2011 comes along, that it is in the best interest of your company's image to try to produce and market at least a small quantity of VPs from that year. No?
Cockburn comes to mind as a house that traditionally bucks the trend (Before the SFE takeoveR)
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

2011 Vintage Ports: The next big thing
It has been a long time since Port has been uniformly exciting front and center. Vintage Port has definitely been a backbar (or back burner) item for much of the decade. There hasn't been as much talk about it in the media and while there have been some declared vintages, nothing has come along that has created the kind of buzz we experienced back when the vaunted 1994s were released.

Right around the 2003 vintage, the main port houses decided to increase prices and justified it by saying that vintage Port was just a small percentage of their production. In addition to a whole myriad of wine topics that the media was more excited about other than Port, higher prices and good-but-not-epic vintages pushed Port out of the mainstream wine consciousness.

The 2011s may be the catalyst for a Port renaissance. James Suckling, author of a book on vintage Port some years ago, said, "The newest vintage Port on the market, 2011, is the best since the legendary 1994, and perhaps even better. The top young Ports from this vintage show a purity of fruit and superb structure of tannins and acidity. It's this sensational balance that makes them extraordinary."

We are downright religious when it comes to adhering to our subject lists for emails, but this is an unusual case since we don't have a "Port" list and vintage Port can cut across all kinds of categories. Vintage Port offerings aren't all that common (this is our first in probably 3-4 years) and this is arguably the most important vintage in a decade and a half. So just this once, we are sending this offer to multiple lists (with the exception of non-applicable lists such as "Under $20" and "Closeouts") because it is a significant wine event. We will return to our regularly scheduled program tomorrow and ask your indulgence this once. It will also be a button on the front of our website. Some quantities limited.

Special Offer
CROFT 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 750 FULL BOTTLES
score: JS 95, WA 92-95

add to cart $59.99 add a case $719.88

>From Wine Advocate:" The 2011 Croft is initially taciturn on the nose, even after allowing it 20 minutes in my glass. A light swirling immediately awakens the aromatics to offer blackberry, Seville orange marmalade, blueberries and dried fig – complex and quite compelling. There is real mineralité within this bouquet that, returning after 30 minutes, offers alluring ocean spray scents rolling in off the ocean. The palate is medium-bodied with a velvety-s... read more

CROFT 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 375 HALF BOTTLES
score: JS 95, WA 92-95

add to cart $31.99 add a case $383.88

>From Wine Advocate:" The 2011 Croft is initially taciturn on the nose, even after allowing it 20 minutes in my glass. A light swirling immediately awakens the aromatics to offer blackberry, Seville orange marmalade, blueberries and dried fig – complex and quite compelling. There is real mineralité within this bouquet that, returning after 30 minutes, offers alluring ocean spray scents rolling in off the ocean. The palate is medium-bodied with a ve... read more

DOW'S 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 750 FULL BOTTLE
score: WA 96-98, JS 96

add to cart $76.99 add a case $923.88

From Wine Advocate: "The 2011 Dow Vintage Port was made from no less than 44 separate ferments from finest fruit sourced from Quinta do Bomfim (35% of the blend), Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira (42%) and the Santinho (14%) and Cerdeira (6%) estates. Just six of the best lots were used in the final blend, which consists of 40% Touriga Franca, 36% Touriga Naçional, 10% Sousão and 14% of old vine plantings. It has a beautiful, quite extravagant bouquet with copious blac... read more
DOW'S 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 375 HALF BOTTLE
score: WA 96-98, JS 96

add to cart $39.99 add a case $479.88

From Wine Advocate: "The 2011 Dow Vintage Port was made from no less than 44 separate ferments from finest fruit sourced from Quinta do Bomfim (35% of the blend), Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira (42%) and the Santinho (14%) and Cerdeira (6%) estates. Just six of the best lots were used in the final blend, which consists of 40% Touriga Franca, 36% Touriga Naçional, 10% Sousão and 14% of old vine plantings. It has a beautiful, quite extravagant bouquet with copious blac... read more
FONSECA 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 750 FULL BOTTLES
score: JS 95, WA 97-99

add to cart $77.99 add a case $935.88

>From Wine Advocate: "The Fonseca 2011 is typically more forthcoming on the nose compared to the bashful Croft: a strident bouquet with lifted scents of freshly picked blackberries, kirsch, crushed stone and a dash of Hoi Sin and oyster sauce. It is very well-defined, very focused and direct. The palate is silky smooth with not a rough edge in sight, though not a typically voluptuous Fonseca because of the keen thread of acidity and the structure that lends this mighty Port wo... read more

FONSECA 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 375 HALF BOTTLES
score: JS 95, WA 97-99

>From Wine Advocate: "The Fonseca 2011 is typically more forthcoming on the nose compared to the bashful Croft: a strident bouquet with lifted scents of freshly picked blackberries, kirsch, crushed stone and a dash of Hoi Sin and oyster sauce. It is very well-defined, very focused and direct. The palate is silky smooth with not a rough edge in sight, though not a typically voluptuous Fonseca because of the keen thread of acidity and the structure that lends this mighty Port wo... read more

GRAHAM'S 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 750 FULL BOTTLE
score: WA 95-97, JS 96

From Wine Advocate: "The 2011 Graham’s comes from the five quintas that have been the source for many years (Malvedos, Tua, Vila Velha, das Lages and Vale de Malhadas). It represents a selection of the 131 pipes from a total production of 1,454 and is a blend of 40% Touriga Naçional, 31% Touriga Franca, 6% Sousão and 23% mixture of very old vines. It has a more “serious” bouquet compared to the Dow, with beguiling scents of blackberry,... read more
GRAHAM'S 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 375 HALF BOTTLE
score: WA 95-97, JS 96

From Wine Advocate: "The 2011 Graham’s comes from the five quintas that have been the source for many years (Malvedos, Tua, Vila Velha, das Lages and Vale de Malhadas). It represents a selection of the 131 pipes from a total production of 1,454 and is a blend of 40% Touriga Naçional, 31% Touriga Franca, 6% Sousão and 23% mixture of very old vines. It has a more “serious” bouquet compared to the Dow, with beguiling scents of blackberry,... read more
QUINTA DO NOVAL 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 750 FULL BOTTLE
score: WA 94-96, JS 93

From Wine Advocate: "The 2011 Quinta do Noval has wonderful precision on the nose with blackberry, cassis, intriguing flinty notes and a whiff of smoke. It might not possess the power of the Naçional but it has freshness to spare. That comes through on the beautifully composed palate, which is underpinned by fine tannins that lend it a silky smooth mouthfeel. There is real intensity here, but it is very controlled with superb minerality on the finish. Excellent. Tasted May 20... read more
QUINTA DO NOVAL 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 375 HALF BOTTLE
score: WA 94-96, JS 93

>From Wine Advocate: "The 2011 Quinta do Noval has wonderful precision on the nose with blackberry, cassis, intriguing flinty notes and a whiff of smoke. It might not possess the power of the Naçional but it has freshness to spare. That comes through on the beautifully composed palate, which is underpinned by fine tannins that lend it a silky smooth mouthfeel. There is real intensity here, but it is very controlled with superb minerality on the finish. Excellent. Ta... read more

QUINTA DO VESUVIO 2011 *PREARRIVAL* VINTAGE PORT 750 FULL BOTTLES
score: JS 95, WA 92-94+

From Wine Advocate: "The 2011 Quinta do Vesuvio has a primal bouquet with heady scents of macerated dark cherries, boysenberry jam and a slight fug of alcohol that should be integrated by the time of bottling. The palate is very rounded with sweet ripe tannins, plenty of raisin-tinged black fruit, and delicate touches of cracked black pepper and shaved ginger on the cohesive finish. This is a superb Quinta do Vesuvio. Tasted May 2013." Neal Martin

Jam... read more
SMITH WOODHOUSE 2011 *PREARRIVAL* VINTAGE PORT 750 FULL BOTTLES
score: JS 92, WA 92-94

add to cart $48.99 add a case $587.88

From Wine Advocate: "Perpetually underrated, the 2011 Smith Woodhouse, which is founded upon very old vines at Quinta da Madalena in the Torto Valley, has a broody but intense bouquet of blackberry, kirsch, Oriental spices and a slight resinous note. It is very well-defined – but serious. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannins, fine acidity, and a lovely spice note at the side of the mouth that leaves the mouth tingling long after it has departed. Very harmonious and ... read more
TAYLOR FLADGATE 2011 *PREARRIVAL* VINTAGE PORT 750 FULL BOTTLES
score: JS 96, WA 96-98

add to cart $77.99 add a case $935.88

From Wine Advocate: "The 2011 Taylor’s Vintage 2011 has a multifaceted, Pandora’s Box of a nose that is mercurial in the glass: cassis at first before blackberry and raspberry politely ask it to move aside, followed by wilted rose petals and Dorset plum. Returning after one 45 minutes that nose has shut up shop. The palate is sweet and sensual on the entry, plush and opulent, with copious black cherries, boysenberry and cassis fruit, curiously more reminiscent of Fon... read more
TAYLOR FLADGATE 2011 *PREARRIVAL* VINTAGE PORT 375 HALF BOTTLES
score: JS 96, WA 96-98

From Wine Advocate: "The 2011 Taylor’s Vintage 2011 has a multifaceted, Pandora’s Box of a nose that is mercurial in the glass: cassis at first before blackberry and raspberry politely ask it to move aside, followed by wilted rose petals and Dorset plum. Returning after one 45 minutes that nose has shut up shop. The palate is sweet and sensual on the entry, plush and opulent, with copious black cherries, boysenberry and cassis fruit, curiously more reminiscent of Fon... read more
WARRE'S 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 750 FULL BOTTLES
score: JS 96, WA 93-95

add to cart $59.99 add a case $719.88

From Wine Advocate: "The Warre’s Vintage was picked beginning on September 18 at Quinta da Cavindha, with fruit also sourced from Quinta do Retiro and Quinta da Telhada. It is a blend of 37% Touriga Naçional, 23% Tinta Franca and 40% mixture of old vines. There is a lovely sea spray note on the 2011 Warre’s that emerges after ten minutes in the glass. It is nicely defined with a tangible mineral component. The palate is very well-balanced with fine tannins... read more
WARRE'S 2011 VINTAGE PORT *PREARRIVAL* 375 HALF BOTTLES
score: JS 96, WA 93-95

add to cart $31.99 add a case $383.88

From Wine Advocate: "The Warre’s Vintage was picked beginning on September 18 at Quinta da Cavindha, with fruit also sourced from Quinta do Retiro and Quinta da Telhada. It is a blend of 37% Touriga Naçional, 23% Tinta Franca and 40% mixture of old vines. There is a lovely sea spray note on the 2011 Warre’s that emerges after ten minutes in the glass. It is nicely defined with a tangible mineral component. The palate is very well-balanced with fine tannins... read more

Please do not reply or send orders directly to this email address. This message was sent from an unmonitored email address. Please send an email to customerservice@winex.com for any questions or concerns regarding this message.

(c) 2011 Wine Exchange - 1500 E. Village Way #2364 - Orange, CA 92865
t: 800.76.WINEX t: 714.974.1454 f: 714.974.1792
Hours:
Mon-Fri: 9am-7pm (PDT)
Sat: 9am-6pm (PDT)
Sun: 10am-6pm (PDT)
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ok, so I'll admit it was fun to hold and photograph the 2011 Quinta do Noval Nacional today. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I was talking to our local TFP distributor and they said they couldn't even accommodate all the requests for 2011 vintage; especially in half bottles. I was hoping to buy a couple of large formats and they weren't so sure they could get them at this point.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:I was talking to our local TFP distributor and they said they couldn't even accommodate all the requests for 2011 vintage; especially in half bottles. I was hoping to buy a couple of large formats and they weren't so sure they could get them at this point.
This brings up an interesting topic. I was told by a retailer they would not accept orders for 2011 VP until they had confirmation as to what amount of 2011 VP they would receive. This was in the early days of the futures campaign mind you and they now have allocation confirmation. But it seems a number of retailers in a rush to be first on the market sold 2011 VP futures prior to getting confirmation as to how much they would actually receive. I do hope that decision doesn't turn out badly for them and their customers once allocations were handed out. I know I would be very upset if retailer "X" sold me a wine they later couldn't provide and which was now sold out.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:I was talking to our local TFP distributor and they said they couldn't even accommodate all the requests for 2011 vintage; especially in half bottles. I was hoping to buy a couple of large formats and they weren't so sure they could get them at this point.
This brings up an interesting topic. I was told by a retailer they would not accept orders for 2011 VP until they had confirmation as to what amount of 2011 VP they would receive. This was in the early days of the futures campaign mind you and they now have allocation confirmation. But it seems a number of retailers in a rush to be first on the market sold 2011 VP futures prior to getting confirmation as to how much they would actually receive. I do hope that decision doesn't turn out badly for them and their customers once allocations were handed out. I know I would be very upset if retailer "X" sold me a wine they later couldn't provide and which was now sold out.
from what i hear in NY

niepoort sold out presale
any of hte special cuvees gone
grahams only special allocations
taylors are allocated
there are some fonsecas left
croft allocated

nothing on half or larger formats
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

When I first heard the case quantities being mentioned directly from the mouths of the Port shippers, I was a little skeptical. Having dug into this a bit more, I found all of the claims to be true. I figured it was possible that some 2011's would be held back for future release, but key people I asked while in Portugal, said that was not the case. 2011 Ports ... until sold out. :scholar:
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

I still see a bunch of the 2011's, in 750 and 375, at The Chicago Wine Company. I don't have any affiliation, but I've never heard of them not filling a pre-arrival purchase. (I'm not sure how their prices are, as I'm not in the market so haven't really shopped around.)
Tom D.
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Tom D. wrote:I still see a bunch of the 2011's, in 750 and 375, at The Chicago Wine Company. I don't have any affiliation, but I've never heard of them not filling a pre-arrival purchase. (I'm not sure how their prices are, as I'm not in the market so haven't really shopped around.)
surprisingly, I dont bleieve they go through the US distributors and get their allocations in the UK, so they're based on the UK allocations which I believe are actually higher then the stateside ones (but I'm not 100% sure of this, allocation #s that is)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Most retailers with a history of doing pre-release orders for the trade, get their allocations directly from the producer or importers, the big names, whether retail shops or even chain restaurant accounts, or some independent properties as well as hotels, also gain their allocations this way. They build trust and relationships directly with producers and their importers/agents.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Had a bottle of the 2011 Andresen Vintage Port and it was a beauty.