TN: Virtual Tasting regular Tawny

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

TN: Virtual Tasting regular Tawny

Post by Frederick Blais »

Here is the topic to post your coments on your regular tawny you have choose. I suggest the Sandeman Imperial tawny but if you can't find any you are welcome to taste any other regular tawny.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Frederick Blais

What are your plans with your bottle of Tawny, have you choose any? I should be able to drink it this week. I have a BBQ with friends this Friday and I'll get their taste at the same time.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I opened a bottle of Quinta do Noval Tawny last night. I had two glasses last night, but, I want to try it over several days though before I post my notes.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well, shiver-me-timbers I think this poor bottle of Noval Tawny got a bit cooked somewhere along the way, before I bought it. It was an alcoholic mess overpowering a very burnt plum flavor. I will have to try another bottle sometime in the near future and repost. Darn :cry:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

I've tried the Noval Tawny before at a restaurant - it was the only Port they had - and it wasn't bad. Plummy to be sure if I recall, a little tart, and I do recall it being alcoholy. I generally don't buy regular Tawnies since I prefer the aged ones, but if push came to shove, I'd drink it again in a heartbeat.

May have to go get one just to participate in this month's tasting. :D

Mike.
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

I looked for the Sandeman Tawny but could not find it so I settled for the Porto Rocha "Fine Tawny". I picked up a half bottle for $11. Here's my note:

N.V. Porto Rocha Porto Tawny - Portugal, Douro, Porto (8/16/2006)
Light ruby / tawny in color. Good clarity that fades to light pink near the edge. The nose gives some dried cherries, cinnamon, a good dose of alcoholic heat, and some plums. On the palate the wine is thick and round with a nice texture. Nicely sweet and enough acidity to keep it balanced. Long sweet finish that is slightly alcoholic. 50 + 3 + 10 + 15 + 7 (85 pts.)

I just opened the bottle tonight and the above note is my first impression. I expect some of the alcohol will settle down in a day or two. This style of tawny is very different from a 10 or 20 year tawny. Not every wine has to be a blockbuster, this is a nice drink when one just wants to enjoy their beverage and not brood over it. I'll have an update to this note in a day or two.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

OK, I've grabbed a Warre 10yr old that I picked as part of a job lot some months ago. On the back, the bottle tells me that it was bottled in 1986, so this is juice from around the time of the revolution - not the most auspicious period, but here goes..

Cooled in the fridge, and poured without aeration. Colour is an elegant deep amber red - quite viscous. Very smooth on the palate, but quite fiery on the finish - but classy, slips down very nicely.. :P

I tried Warre's 10yr Otima a while back, and was not overly impressed - indeed I made a note to not bother with the under 20's in future.

However, this little beastie is altogether much more civilised.

Have Warre dropped their benchmark, or have the 20 years spent in the bottle smoothed out a few wrinkles?

Hard to say...

Tom
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

After a bad bottle earlier, I decided to try a tawny I have never had before. Cockburn's Special Reserve porto.

I opened this last night, recorked, and placed it in the refrigerator. Tasted today, 24 hours later. A very weak plum nose dominated by a medicinal like smell. The front of the palate is light-medium in texure, with almost no fruit present. The mid-palate and finish is simply a thin alcoholic mess. No balance or compexity at all. Just to be fair, I tried several glasses that ranged in temp from refrigerator cold to room temp.

I must say, this was probably one of the worst tawnys I've ever had and one I will not recommend to others. No score given.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Andy,

Unless I've lost the plot, Cockburn Special Reserve ain't a Tawny :!: - it's a Reserve, a premium ruby...

Tom
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom,
Well, I had to go to plan "C" when I couldn't find the Imperial, and the Noval was a bad bottle. I already had this in the house (and no other regular tawny) and had wanted to try it for some time. So I figured something was better than nothing, as the month was ending soon. Sorry, I will be back on track next month.

Speaking of which, what are we going to do for September?
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Speaking of which, what are we going to do for September?
How about: 'any VP from the '91 vintage'

- try to get a take on whether these are up to speed, or need a few more years in the dark..

Tom
Frederick Blais

Well... I had to go on plan B too :? The Imperial Tawny was not on list of the 2 SAQ I visited this week-end. So I pick the Ferreira Dona Antonia Reserve as it is begginning to be late on this one. It is a blend of Port ranging from 4 to 9 years.

Alcohol that was on the nose and on the palate on the first night had disapeared on the second day. Which leaves us with a nice creamy almonds dominated nose with some dried fruits and toffey notes. The palate is smooth, again creamy texture, sweet, with dried figs and nutty flavour. Short on the finale as many of these products are, but on the second day the balance is there so it is a Port that is enjoyable now. 14/20
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

i just looked and I realized I don't have any '91s...I guess I will need to change that for the September tasting.