1996 vs. 2000 LBV Port

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Nick Solga

1996 vs. 2000 LBV Port

Post by Nick Solga »

Gentlemen,

I am in need of some advice. I have been drinking port for a while now and truly have the bug... I've found I indeed enjoy LBV port. I love tawny and VP at tastings but, for everyday, LBV is my fav.

My last bottle was a 2000 Grahams LBV. Very nice and it opened up more with time. Recently, I was in my local wine shop and noticed both a Dows and a Grahams 1996 LBV port. Each were a few dollars less than the new 2000 Dows and Grahams LBV.

My question is, are the 1996 LBV's ok to still buy or are these too old. I know LBV is aged via cask and bottle heavy to yield a ready-to-drink port. I've read that traditional "unfiltered" LBV's will age well like VP though.

Could someone let me know three things:

1) Is the 1996 LBV port (Dows or Grahams) (bottled in 2002) better to buy than the 2000 LBV (Dows or Grahams)?

2) Of all the top producers / houses (Dows, Grahams, Fonseca, Noval) which ones make a unfiltered / traditional LBV that will age well? & how long?

3) Finally, with LBV bottles, should I be more focused on the bottling date than the vintage date (ie 1996 vintage but bottled in 2002)?

At first, I thought that being 1996 would be great especially, since it was a couple dollars less. But, wanted to make sure not to buy something that was too old as LBV's are ready to drink upon release.

.... Ah, the things I am doing trying not to drink my first purchased VP bottle vintage Grahams 1977...

I thank you all in advance as I am new to this forum!
Frederick Blais

Re: 1996 vs. 2000 LBV Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

Nick Solga wrote:Gentlemen,

My last bottle was a 2000 Grahams LBV. Very nice and it opened up more with time. Recently, I was in my local wine shop and noticed both a Dows and a Grahams 1996 LBV port. Each were a few dollars less than the new 2000 Dows and Grahams LBV.

My question is, are the 1996 LBV's ok to still buy or are these too old. I know LBV is aged via cask and bottle heavy to yield a ready-to-drink port. I've read that traditional "unfiltered" LBV's will age well like VP though.

Could someone let me know three things:

1) Is the 1996 LBV port (Dows or Grahams) (bottled in 2002) better to buy than the 2000 LBV (Dows or Grahams)?

2) Of all the top producers / houses (Dows, Grahams, Fonseca, Noval) which ones make a unfiltered / traditional LBV that will age well? & how long?

3) Finally, with LBV bottles, should I be more focused on the bottling date than the vintage date (ie 1996 vintage but bottled in 2002)?

At first, I thought that being 1996 would be great especially, since it was a couple dollars less. But, wanted to make sure not to buy something that was too old as LBV's are ready to drink upon release.
Some interesting questions in here, I'll try to put some light on them.

First, for the bottle of 96 LBV, they are surely still in good shape if they were well preserved. I would fear though that they did stay on the shelves for the last 4 years which encourage oxydation of the product.

When it comes to quality of an LBV, the first thing I'm looking is the producer. Quality producers for me are those who are making unfiltered LBV, they are also the same that worth to buy and keep some years in your cellar. For my taste, I like the LBV in its youth upon release and 10 years after the Vintage date. My favorite producers are Niepoort, Noval, Warre, Ferreira and Smith Woodhouse. Recently a few producers have switch from the commercial filtered style to the increasingly popular traditionnal style. Sandeman is worthy of notification.

Though LBV do age well, they do not age as gracefuly as Vintage Port, this is why I like them in their first 10 years. I've had some experience with LBV of 20 years of age, it was drinking OK but never it was as good as some more recent bottling for me. Mather of taste maybe it is.

About Vintage year or bottling year, it helps you know how long the wine was aged before it was bottled. Normally Traditionnal producers will age their LBV for 4 years as the commercial ones will age it for 6 years.

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask more questions.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Nick Solga

Traditional

Post by Nick Solga »

I appreciate the detailed response!

Question, are either Dows or Grahams producing an unfiltered LBV or are these both filtered?

I tend to enjoy my LBV's once they've been open and resealed via vacu-vin nightly following my evening sippage, after about two weeks time. So, I'm thinking of giving the 1996 either Dow's or Grahams a shot for the money. Any suggestion on which to choose (both are similar in price). I've had 2000 Grahams LBV so, I thought I might go with that to provide for a vertical perspective...

Also, any preference between Fonseca bin 27 and six grapes for a reserve / ruby? (these are the synonymous correct?). I've been looking for both Neiport and Noval and haven't found either yet. Still looking for a rich, dense complex ruby to compare to a LBV though, I stick with LBV to keep as close to VP without breaking the bank.

Finally, does anyone know if Fonseca does a LBV or tawny?

Cheers,

I'm off to finish my last bit of 10 year otima. I'm going to do the 20-year next for a comparison.

Nick
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Question, are either Dows or Grahams producing an unfiltered LBV or are these both filtered?
Dow's only make a filtered LBV (which is a slightly dryer style), Graham's also only makes a filtered LBV.
So, I'm thinking of giving the 1996 either Dow's or Grahams a shot for the money. Any suggestion on which to choose (both are similar in price). I've had 2000 Grahams LBV so, I thought I might go with that to provide for a vertical perspective...
I say get both. I've found the best way is to get a bottle of something and try it. You really learn what you like and don't like this way. And you tend to find some great gems in the process.
any preference between Fonseca bin 27 and six grapes
Six Grapes (See your other post)
Finally, does anyone know if Fonseca does a LBV or tawny?
Yes, Fonseca makes both. Interesting though, I've never seen a 30 yr tawny from them and their web site only lists a 10, 20, and 40 yr tawny :?
I've only had one LBV from them (IIRC it was the 1999) and I don't remember much about it.

ALSO, please post back when you try them. We'd love to hear what you thought about them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1996 vs. 2000 LBV Port

Post by Jay Powers »

Nick Solga wrote: 2) Of all the top producers / houses (Dows, Grahams, Fonseca, Noval) which ones make a unfiltered / traditional LBV that will age well? & how long?
Excellent unfiltered LBV's I have tried recently are:

Warre 1995
Niepoort 1996 and 1999
Smith Woodhouse 1992

All are very good. The is the best value for the price, and the Smith Woodhouse is the smoothest.

Jay
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy said....
Yes, Fonseca makes both. Interesting though, I've never seen a 30 yr tawny from them and their web site only lists a 10, 20, and 40 yr tawny :?
Andy, this is interesting as I happen to have a bottle of Fonseca 30 year old tawny in my cellar, bottled in 1982 - perhaps they have stopped making the 30 year old or only make it very rarely.

Nick said.....
...Ah, the things I am doing trying not to drink my first purchased VP bottle vintage Grahams 1977...
If you are relatively new to VP then I would suggest you start with some less expensive bottles before opening this one. A good place to start is Single Quinta VP (SQVP) such as Taylor's Vargellas, Dow's Bonfim, Graham's Malvedos etc. You can also find some relatively inexpensive VP's from lesser years than 1977, such as 1980/83/91/92, that will allow you to taste many more wines for your buck.

On LBV's Warre's, Niepoort, Smith Woodhouse, Sandeman and Noval traditional bottlings never fail to please 8)

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

perhaps they have stopped making the 30 year old or only make it very rarely
Think back to when this wine would have been made - the alcohol scandal of 72-74 and then the revolution.

They may not have much suitable stock to bottle as 30yr at the moment, and are preserving what they have for the more lucrative 'over 40yr' bottlings in a few years time.

Tom