Barbeito '40 Year' at RWC NOW!!

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Barry Sunderland

Barbeito '40 Year' at RWC NOW!!

Post by Barry Sunderland »

So says Ricardo Diogo of Barbeito. I'm first in line, Mannie. [cheers.gif]

UPDATE: Mannie tells me it's in. $149.95 per. I'm in for (5). [cheers.gif]
Last edited by Barry Sunderland on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark L

Re: Barbeito '40 Year' to RWC Soon...

Post by Mark L »

Sounds like my arm could be twisted to be 2nd in line!
Niklas J

Post by Niklas J »

Guess it's the Mae Manuela, the 40 Years Old Malvasia? Just ordered it from him and will try in a week or so. My brother had it at Barbeito a few weeks ago and said it was spectacular!
Niklas Jorgensen

Remember this in 25 years or so; 2012 is a great year for Madeira wine!
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Where did you get it? I didn't see it on the RWC site...
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I had it twice during the harvest in Portugal, it is really a great wine. Not too sweet for a Malvasia.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Barry Sunderland

Still waiting....waiting. :munch:
Goncalo Martins

Post by Goncalo Martins »

[imnewhere.gif]

Hello everyone! I have followed your discussions from time to time, and I feel I could have posted here or in the Port forum before... :roll:

I am Portuguese, live in Lisbon and a fan of Madeira for some time already (and only more recently becoming a fanatic of VP).

I have just received two bottlles of the Barbeito Mãe Manuela 40 years old Madeira of Barbeito.

Has anyone here already tried it? I am very curious to try and feel tempted to open one of them for Christmas.

Thanks!
Gonçalo
Barry Sunderland

Goncalo Martins wrote:[imnewhere.gif]

Hello everyone! I have followed your discussions from time to time, and I feel I could have posted here or in the Port forum before... :roll:

I am Portuguese, live in Lisbon and a fan of Madeira for some time already (and only more recently becoming a fanatic of VP).

I have just received two bottlles of the Barbeito Mãe Manuela 40 years old Madeira of Barbeito.

Has anyone here already tried it? I am very curious to try and feel tempted to open one of them for Christmas.

Thanks!
Gonçalo

[dash1.gif]
Sandy Becker

Re: Barbeito '40 Year' at RWC NOW!!

Post by Sandy Becker »

Thanks Barry, for the heads up. I just ordered 3 bottles. And another bottle of the 1908 D'Oliveira Bual.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good to see you back here young man. Did my email get to you? I've never heard back. :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Day

Post by Paul Day »

This has just arrived in the UK. Fortnums will have it on their shelves next week.

I tasted it a few weeks ago at the London Trade tasting of Madeira. I've much admired the different Barbeito 20yo bottlings of Malvasia. And the 30yo was excellent too, although one could argue whether it was really worth the extra premium over the superb 20yo. But the 40yo does seem special.

One problem with these wines is finding seriously good old wine as blending material. But for this 40yo, almost an entire demi-john of 1880 was sacrificed all as a key ingredient (comprising 7% of the volume, or thereabouts).

I ordered a case for myself from the UK importer instantly on tasting it.

Incidentally, the first batch of vintage wines of Barbeito from the "good period" (my terminology) has also been released. Three 1992s, all excellent, but young, of course. The only shame is that there is only more Verdelho that can be kept for a subsequent later release with more wood aging.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Cant find it on the RWC website.
Is it on a separate section?
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Hey Miguel,

I did not see it on their website, either, but if you call them, they have it for sale at the aforementioned price if you ask about it.

Good luck!
Mark
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Mark L wrote:I did not see it on their website, either, but if you call them, they have it for sale at the aforementioned price if you ask about it.
Thanks for the tip. Worked wonderfully. Got 4 which I expect to last me several years.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Goncalo Martins wrote:Has anyone here already tried it? I am very curious to try and feel tempted to open one of them for Christmas.
Gonçalo, bem vindo!

Pls see here reg the wine you just got http://madaboutmadeira.org/2013/12/blen ... e-manuela/. Elsewhere on FTLOP more has been said about it.

I plan on opening one on occasion of the birth of my second son, due in just under a month.

Enjoy your bottles, and def be v appreciative of whoever sent them your way! :clap:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Got some as well. Rare Wine Co charged me $245 per.
Goncalo Martins

Post by Goncalo Martins »

Miguel Simoes wrote:
Goncalo Martins wrote:Has anyone here already tried it? I am very curious to try and feel tempted to open one of them for Christmas.
Gonçalo, bem vindo!

Pls see here reg the wine you just got http://madaboutmadeira.org/2013/12/blen ... e-manuela/. Elsewhere on FTLOP more has been said about it.

I plan on opening one on occasion of the birth of my second son, due in just under a month.

Enjoy your bottles, and def be v appreciative of whoever sent them your way! :clap:
Obrigado Miguel!

And congratulations for your new baby. I will open the bottle on Christmas and continue to drink it over to New Year, when I have an extra occasion to celebrate, as my daughter will turn 6 months old. Plenty of "reasons" to open such a bottle (apart from the fact that I am extremely curious and can hardly wait...)! [cheers.gif]