TN: Virtual Tasting, Any White Port

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: Virtual Tasting, Any White Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ok Everyone it is that time. This month's theme was ANY white port. Should be fun, so start posting :winebath:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Given the poor choice of white port available here I am thinking of opening a curiosity bottle I picked up in a mixed case on ebay a few months ago.

I have 1 bottle of Sandeman Clipper "Extra Dry " that I think was probably bottled in the early 1980's. This was the bottling date of most of the other bottles in the case and all of them, including this one, had slightly discoloured labels suggesting that they had not been kept in ideal conditions - probably in a drinks cabinet or kitchen cupboard.

I have drunk some of the other bottles from the batch and all have been drinkable. One was a magnum of Taylor's LBV 1982 that had started to leak but was still OK although, surprisingly, had lots and lots of sediment in the bottom. I know this because I managed to drink over a huge lump of it in one of the last glasses I had out of it :?

I have a picture of the Sandeman Clipper bottle that I can e-mail to anyone who thinks they could accurately date it or is just interested to see it.

I plan to chill this bottle and a minature of Taylor "Chip Dry" that I have.

Will let you know how this goes.

Derek

PS: If it turns out to be cooked I have lots of Tonic in the cupboard to make some nice summer drinks for any visitors 8)
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I tried the 'Chip Dry' in VNG - don't hold your breath...

If the weather gets impossible this week I might just put a bottle of white in the fridge - the Niepoort perhaps...

Tom
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I guess I shall get this one started.

Fonseca "Siroco" Dry White Port

This was tasted well chilled, as per the label on the back. A very light golden yellow color that reminded me of watery apple juice. Seemed to be a touch of VA on the nose along with a light flowery smell (the name of which i am drawing a blank on right now). Smooth mouth feel of pears, a light touch of apricots, and a bit of acidity that just digs into the gums and cheeks.

Not sure I like this by itself. But mixed 50/50 with tonic water, ice, and some fresh mints leaves, it makes one heck of a refreshing drink on a warm summer day.

To score it by itself, I'd give it an 81
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Dalva makes some nice white Port and I have always been rather fond of the fruit in the Churchill's version. For a really dry white Port for chilled summer quaffing, the Quinta do Portal and Dow's are my faves. Dirk Niepoort is making some great whites from the Douro which you don't find too often, but they are not Ports.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

OK I've opened the bottle of Niepoort dry white.

Chilled in the fridge first, poured a glass as the sun went down on what has been a glorious day here.

Bouquet can best be described in one word - Lodge

If you've not been to VNG this won't mean a lot, but the port lodges have a very distinctive and pleasant aroma.

Colour in the glass is quite dark for a white - a dry sherry colour.

On the palate it also bears more than a passing resemblance to Sherry - an Amontillado perhaps, but maybe a little richer and smoother.

It's a very long time since I've drunk Sherry - I might just go out and buy a bottle to compare!

Overall this has been a very agreeable encounter - one I would recommend.

Tom
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Ok, I've finally opened my bottle of white Port. I chose the Offley Cachucha. I don't think this product is widely available as I remember the tour lady at the lodges thought it was only available in Portugal... but who knows.

Really nice looking deep old gold color, fairly rich. The nose is exuberant, whiffs of alcool were gone after a few minutes to let emerge a nice complexity of white flowers, honey, pineapple and peaches in syrup flavours. Not very intense but quite enjoyable. On the palate the wine is showing good richness, very sweet, dominated by flavours of honey and pineapple, finale is short on fruits in syrup flavours and a bit burning because of the alcool.

A rich and sweet white port, full of concentrated tropical fruit flavours but because of that lacking fresnesh that helps you getting trough the bottle.14.5/20

Here is the picture of the bottle and the glass:

Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Cachucha was easily my favourite of the whites I tried in VNG - I also bought a bottle!

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I'm working late tonight and finished off a bottle of Taylor 1999 LBV that was in the fridge. In desparation I pulled out a minature of Taylor's Chip Dry White that I put in the fridge for the July VT but never got around to opening.

Not much on the nose, quite thick appearence with lots of tears in the glass. Very light with no real taste other than a very bitter finish. No heat to speak of.

On my new found scoring system this rates as Yuk-Yuk :?

Disclaimer: I do not drink white wine of any description other than Champagne - and I would rather have a glass of £20 VP than a glass of Krug :P
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek,
Earlier this month I had the Krohn Lagrima white port I can't find my notes but it was very good, the best white port I have had to date. I bought 2 bottles of it after the tasting.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Derek
Disclaimer: I do not drink white wine of any description other than Champagne - and I would rather have a glass of £20 VP than a glass of Krug
Now that's not quite true. I offered you a glass of Krug (or Dom Perignon) a couple of weekends back and you declined, preferring to drink Buxton Spring Water and a glass of house red. I had to drink both the Krug and DP myself! :shock:

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Very true, Alex.

I think this just demonstrates the restraint that I apply to my drinking habits - you, on the other hand, had to have two different expensive champagne's just in case the 6 bottles of VP we were about to drink wasn't enough to get you to off sleep :P

Derek
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Derek, I think that during your trip in the Douro with Roy you should experiment great white wines. I hope that this will open your eyes that great wines don't only come from red grapes.(still there is red grapes in champagne :lol: )
Living the dream and now working for a Port company