You heard it here first. 2011 Quarles Harris VP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

You heard it here first. 2011 Quarles Harris VP

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yup, that's right folks. Finally us Americans get something those Brit's don't. At Trader Joe's for $40. I'll post a review in a few days after I've tasted it several times. Image
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Re: You heard it hear first. 2011 Quarles Harris VP

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Please do, am interested to hear!
-Brad

Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Yup, that's right folks. Finally us Americans get something those Brit's don't. At Trader Joe's for $40. I'll post a review in a few days after I've tasted it several times.
And we are very happy for you; enjoy.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Please do, am interested to hear!
+1
I'm still in the need of some 2011, and there is a chance my local TJs might have this.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good - solid VP. Worth $40 imo. We'll see what Andy thinks. He and I both had it together seven months ago, the first time for both of us.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Good - solid VP. Worth $40 imo. We'll see what Andy thinks. He and I both had it together seven months ago, the first time for both of us.
Roy,
Actually, we didn't have it 7 months ago together as that would have been impossible. The Sym's didn't show this at their 2011 release in San Francisco as it wasn't decided if it would be produced yet. However, We did have a conversation where we were both told it was going to be produced/declared soon. Then shortly later we were told by others who spoke to the Sym's it wasn't being declared/produced. There was some confusion and discussion here on the Forum related to that. Then this summer I was told it MAY be produced but that decision was still pending. Obviously, it ended up being produced as here it is.

To my knowledge no professional reviewer has had this, or at least if they have they haven't posted a note on it (please point to one if I'm wrong). A check on Wine-Searcher does not show anyone else carrying this. Trader Joe's buys a huge volume of Symington Ports (mostly Quarles Harris, Morgado, and Warre's Warrior, and now a Douro wine). They also have had the 1994 Quarles Harris VP recently. I suspect, this is a VP that only Trader Joe's will get as there was no fan fare about it's release and the only store who seems to have it is them.

Link to the original conversation with those given conflicting info back in May 2013
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... ris#p87282
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I saw that at TJ's a few weeks ago.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Re: You heard it here first. 2011 Quarles Harris VP

Post by Eric Menchen »

Hopefully they will still be carrying it in a few months. I just checked and none of my TJs carry beer & wine yet. Trader Joe's Denver Beer & Wine is scheduled to open February 14th.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

thanks for the tip!

will have to check out TJs
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Most seem to gave the 1994 VP and 2007 LBV as well. '94 is very good... Haven't done a TN yet but probably 91 pts for me.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:Most seem to gave the 1994 VP and 2007 LBV as well. '94 is very good... Haven't done a TN yet but probably 91 pts for me.
I enjoy the 1994 and it was a very good by at the price, but sadly no more are left at my local store. I checked at one other store with no luck.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Thanks for the heads-up. I saw it when I was at TJ's. Picked one up. I'll open it within the next month. I can't imagine that it's not at least "very good". TJ's had a sign saying: "Extremely Limited", so I'll take that as meaning that there was not much made.
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

It would be interesting to know whether the wine that went into this was "destined" for Quarles Harris from the start, or was just part of the wider stock of 2011 vintage port that the Symingtons presumably had approved for use in various 2011 BOBs to be released in due course.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Rob C. wrote:It would be interesting to know whether the wine that went into this was "destined" for Quarles Harris from the start, or was just part of the wider stock of 2011 vintage port that the Symingtons presumably had approved for use in various 2011 BOBs to be released in due course.
I suspect (but have no proof of) the latter. The wine guy at my TJs even referred to QH as their BOB. I didn't bother to correct him. :)
Glenn Elliott
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Glenn E. wrote:
Rob C. wrote:It would be interesting to know whether the wine that went into this was "destined" for Quarles Harris from the start, or was just part of the wider stock of 2011 vintage port that the Symingtons presumably had approved for use in various 2011 BOBs to be released in due course.
I suspect (but have no proof of) the latter. The wine guy at my TJs even referred to QH as their BOB. I didn't bother to correct him. :)
Although interesting to note that the bottle is "produced and bottled by Quarles Harris & Ca. SA.", rather than "Symington Family Estates Vinhos LDA", which seems to be fairly ubiquitous across other Symington 2011 releases (except Vesuvio). I wonder what the significance of the distinction is.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My guess, it is because this is virtually a BOB in a way. I don't know that QH has any specific vineyards that go into it, more like a cuvee. Again speculation here ... so this can certainly be incorrect.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I suspect that QH is a company owned by the Sym's under an entirely different "parent" company as some others they own. Hence why it and Vesuvio, to name two, are different.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The 2011 QH will be reported upon in my upcoming 2011 article in the next newsletter. :scholar:
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:The 2011 QH will be reported upon in my upcoming 2011 article in the next newsletter. :scholar:
Teaser [berserker.gif]