2014 SUPER BOWL THREAD and Poll

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Who is going to win the Super Bowl on Feb. 2, 2014?

Denver Broncos
50%
Seattle Seahawks
50%

Total votes: 8

John M.

Re: 2014 SUPER BOWL THREAD and Poll

Post by John M. »

What a snooze fest---even the commercials weren't much fun. Today we are getting 4-8 inches of snow (live an hour from Stadium)---would have been more fun if the game were in the snow.

Best part of the Super Bowl.....opening and sipping an Andresen 20 Year Old.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

John M. wrote:What a snooze fest---even the commercials weren't much fun. Today we are getting 4-8 inches of snow (live an hour from Stadium)---would have been more fun if the game were in the snow.
Yeah, I suspect that most of the East coast probably tuned out around halftime. Unless you are a Seattle fan, that probably wasn't all that awesome of a game to watch.

Perhaps it is the pessimist in me, but I was still worried at halftime. I mean... PEYTON MANNING. Denver can lay down 21 points in just a few minutes. And while it looked sort of like Seattle was dominating... the stats told a different story. Total yardage at halftime was pretty similar. In fact the Seattle advantage could pretty much be summed up by Denver's miscues, so if those had been rectified during the break I could have seen Denver come storming back without much trouble at all.

Then Percy Harvin happened. Back broken, game over. If they'd had any momentum coming out of the locker room at halftime, that took it away. What made it totally crushing was that they tried to kick it away from him and essentially succeeded - he took it on a big and very risky bounce and just ran away from everyone wearing orange.
John M. wrote:Best part of the Super Bowl.....opening and sipping an Andresen 20 Year Old.
Mine is almost gone, as is the leftover GC77 from Saturday night's dinner. Yum yum in both cases!
:yumyum:
Glenn Elliott
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I read that that was the first time an NFL game ended in a 43-8 final score. Most common final score is 20-17. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... scores.cgi
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

So the MVP was the pick-six guy? That was good on him, but much more a major failing of the receiver, who I think was the only person in the stadium that didn't see that pass falling short. 1) Catch the ball. 2) Make a play on the ball. 3) Take down the interceptor. Three strikes.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:So the MVP was the pick-six guy? That was good on him, but much more a major failing of the receiver, who I think was the only person in the stadium that didn't see that pass falling short. 1) Catch the ball. 2) Make a play on the ball. 3) Take down the interceptor. Three strikes.
Yeah, the intended receiver was Knowshon Moreno and he totally gave up on the play. Smith actually ran around him to get the interception, and then outran Moreno to the end zone.

Really? A linebacker can out-run a running back? So it was like a 20-yd return, right?

What? It was 69 yds? A LINEBACKER out-ran a RUNNING BACK on a 69-yd return???
Glenn Elliott
John F. Newman

Post by John F. Newman »

I came down with a cold, and more drink of choice was NyQuil. I missed the entire game; apparently I didn't miss anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John F. Newman wrote:I came down with a cold, and more drink of choice was NyQuil. I missed the entire game; apparently I didn't miss anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bummer hope you feel better soon. I'm finally getting over being sick too and while I feel better my cycling is still recovering. Seems this round of the flu's affects stick around a bit. :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I have to give credit to Glenn's observation from earlier; the more highlights I have seen of the game, the more Kam Chancellor stands out, especially in his aggressive tackling and hitting, while not taking one penalty. With all due respect to Lynch, Chancellor was a beast. Sherman said during a radio interview that the Broncos receivers became much less physical as the game went on; I suspect they realized they were outmatched in speed and strength. Not to mention, Chancellor had an interception when the game was still close.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

My officially licensed NFL Pro Shop Kam Chancellor 31 jersey is already on order. ;)

No, I didn't spring for the $250 "Elite" edition. The $120 highway robbery for the screen printed version was bad enough!
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Somebody on eBay had the audacity to put a Malcolm Smith jersey on sale with a Buy it Now price of $1,500. Talk about petty opportunism!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Ray Barnes wrote:Talk about petty opportunism!
The NFL is guilty as well. A couple of people in my office have "Elite" jerseys that they bought earlier in the season for ~$130, not the $250 that the NFL wants for them now.
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Hello Glenn, while the accompanying video appears to profile the heroic efforts of Demaryius Thomas playing with a separated shoulder, I can't help but think the player's injury was caused at least partially by Kam Chancellor, as shown early.

Once things settle down, I might try to find a #31 jersey too. Hope you like this.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... lder-in-sb
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Couldn't participate in the Poll as there were no choices such as' "Huh?" or "What's a SuperBowl?"
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Ray Barnes wrote:I can't help but think the player's injury was caused at least partially by Kam Chancellor, as shown early.
After watching the video, I think you're probably right. That early hit appeared to be the biggest hit he took, though he did get hit pretty hard by Maxwell (#41) a couple of times and again by Chancellor later in the game.

I wonder if the injury played into his fumble? If he wasn't gripping the ball tight enough because of his shoulder injury, that might explain why Maxwell popped it out so easily on what otherwise looked like a pretty normal play.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

You can probably pick up some "Denver Broncos 2014 SuperBowl Champions" t-shirts for cheap now. Actually I read once that those type things end up getting donated overseas. Next year you might see a picture of someone in Africa wearing one.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I gotta say, on my second glass of 1998 Tardieu-Laurent St. Joseph Vielles Vignes Les Roches, that the 12th fan turnout out for the parade today is fantastic. When you fill CenturyLink and Safeco Fields at the same time, that is really saying something!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Ray Barnes wrote:When you fill CenturyLink and Safeco Fields at the same time, that is really saying something!
Yes, it's saying that there's going to be a really major traffic jam on the way home!
[rotfl.gif]

Safeco seats ~50,000. CenturyLink seats ~70,000. There's basically just one road out of there, and that's I-90. On the plus side, both parking garages basically empty right onto the freeway, so it's about as good as it can possibly get.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It was ugly and we took buses into/out of the city. Neither stadium was full and Safeco was less than half full. CLink was busy but definitely NOT full.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Sorry Roy...I thought CLF was full and Safeco's lower level was full, with the upper level not being opened due to lack of running water. Not surprised the traffic was a mess.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

An article posted today on nfl.com, as I understand it, concludes that the Hawks' safety was due to the Broncos' center not hearing the snap count change due to crowd noise, so the 12th Man gets an assist on that play. The Broncos were not expecting that at all.

There's been comparisons of late between the Hawks and the '85 Bears and the Ravens team that dominated the Giants. Although the Steelers are not a popular team anywhere near Seattle, I feel there are some similarities between the Hawks and Pittsburgh's 1970s roster which won 4 championships in 6 or 7 years, on the strength of power running, pass attack and the league's most dominant defense. If the Hawks can keep their personnel most intact and survive its very tough division, I think they can be a force to be reckoned with for some time.