New FTLOP favicon?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Julian D. A. Wiseman

New FTLOP favicon?

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

These favicon posts were moved by a moderator from the thread entitled NEW FTLOP Website is LIVE !!!.

The old logo, of a bottle lying down, Image, seems to have gone, and been replaced with a new three-bottle arrangement. FTLoP hence needs a new icon, which should also be used as a favicon (the 16×16 picture appearing next to the URL).

A first draft: Image

I admit to not loving the first draft, but that is the nature of a first draft. Suggested improvements welcomed from anybody — but the final decision is Roy’s and his alone.

(The draft is in .GIF format, for use as an image on a page. To use it as a favicon it will have to be converted to .ICO, which can be done once the design has been approved.)
Last edited by Julian D. A. Wiseman on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Phil W

Re: NEW FTLOP Website is LIVE !!!

Post by Phil W »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:The old logo, of a bottle lying down, Image, seems to have gone, and been replaced with a new three-bottle arrangement. FTLoP hence needs a new icon, which should also be used as a favicon (the 16×16 picture appearing next to the URL).

A first draft: Image

I admit to not loving the first draft, but that is the nature of a first draft. Suggested improvements welcomed from anybody — but the final decision is Roy’s and his alone.

(The draft is in .GIF format, for use as an image on a page. To use it as a favicon it will have to be converted to .ICO, which can be done once the design has been approved.)
I see no reason why the original favicon could not continue to be used, if wanted; it also benefits from being clear and easily readable, and the bottle image clearly a bottle.

The new logo, if a square box were drawn around it does not easily facilitate the addition of letters above or below. In your draft you have effectively cut off a little of the bottom part, plus allowed space between the bottles. An alternative would be to instead cut off the white space above, so extending the bottles slightly, plus allow then the overlap as per original, so that you could then place the FTLoP letters over the bottles instead (likely in white, perhaps). Not sure how that might look, just a thought.

Alternatively, perhaps one vertical bottle, at the right of the box, with FTLo on the left in black and P in red within the bottle on the right?
Last edited by Phil W on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Some drafts, just to inspire comments, likes, dislikes, and other ideas for variations:     Image      Image      Image     Image

Pondering the previous post. More anon.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:Some drafts, just to inspire comments, likes, dislikes, and other ideas for variations:     Image      Image      Image     Image

Pondering the previous post. More anon.
Your second one, possibly with the bottle neck shortened (halved) and the outside bottles moved up a little (half-neck-length) might work. (note, I edited the above post with additional idea while colliding with you posting :)
Julian D. A. Wiseman

(This posted edited.)

Drafts:     Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image

I don’t like the bottles touching.
Last edited by Julian D. A. Wiseman on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

I didn’t love the first draft, but Image does appeal. It has room to breathe, whilst including the essentials.

But will it please Roy?
Not bad for a mere 110 bytes.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Phil W wrote:An alternative would be to instead cut off the white space above, so extending the bottles slightly, plus allow then the overlap as per original, so that you could then place the FTLoP letters over the bottles instead (likely in white, perhaps).
The vertical of the F must be against the left margin. There isn’t room for a one pixel border — such is the nature of a width of 16 pixels. Having a white vertical against the left edge wouldn’t work in a white URL bar, and most URL bars are white.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:I didn’t love the first draft, but Image does appeal. It has room to breathe, whilst including the essentials.

But will it please Roy?
Not bad for a mere 110 bytes.
Minor variants could also include making the P the same height as the FTL, or vice versa? Also optionally red vs black bottle.

Agree regarding lack of room for border if overlapping bottles, that kills that idea I think.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Drafts:     Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image

My preference still
with second-place
Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:Suggested improvements welcomed from anybody — but the final decision is Roy’s and his alone.
Edit: maybe the neck should be shortened by one pixel, and the bulk of the bottle lengthened by same. Hmm.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Ignoring the colour for a moment, I like three of them (of which we agree on two): Image   Image   Image probably in that order.
I like the red bottle, which would work with any of them, though I would suggest a slightly darker red than selected in Image
Edit: maybe the neck should be shortened by one pixel, and the bulk of the bottle lengthened by same. Hmm.
Agree.

Out of interest - in the above the F looks as through there is a one-pixel spacing between top and middle horizontal lines; does the wider space have 2 or 3? If 3, might a 2-spaced look better as a compromise between the small and stretched styles?
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Not at my computer (Tapatalk), so no further versions for now.

We seem to agree, but before going much further some input from Roy would be helpful.

The shorter F has a gap of one pixel between the horizontals; the taller F has a gap of two.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:Drafts:     Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image      Image
I understand the limitations imposed by a 16 x 16 image, but I think the 'o' is needed. My favorites are (in order):

Image Image Image
Glenn Elliott
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Phil W wrote:I like three of them (of which we agree on two): Image   Image   Image probably in that order.
Glenn E. wrote:My favorites are (in order):

Image Image Image
Input from Roy genuinely needed.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Drafts:

00      =      Image

01      =      Image

02      =      Image

03      =      Image

04      =      Image

05      =      Image

06      =      Image

07      =      Image

08      =      Image

09      =      Image

10      =      Image

11      =      Image

12      =      Image

13      =      Image

14      =      Image
Last edited by Julian D. A. Wiseman on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

06 looks great!
Maurice Fitzhugh

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

When I go to Photo & Video I only find the Video and no photos. Am I missing something?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well to be honest, I am not so sure that we won't just stick with the old horizontal bottle favicon. The new website's logo has been used on the header of the FTLOP newsletter for 4-5+ years now. I also do prefer a capitalized O as in FTLOP, not FTLoP. That being said, while I had hoped for some real feedback on the new website, I had zero thoughts that this would turn into a favicon discussion topic. I will leave it to our moderators to split this off into its very own topic.

That being said, I do appreciate all of Julian's efforts and will keep an open mind, if I do see a favicon that is better than the one he originally designed for us many years ago.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Then Image it remains.

Please do split this discussion.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: new FTLOP favicon?

Post by Glenn E. »

Done. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: new FTLOP favicon?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I like #4. Though would be nice if the "O" would be the same size as the other letters.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com