VP vs. LBV: A Port Dilemma

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jeff G.

Re: VP vs. LBV: A Port Dilemma

Post by Jeff G. »

surprised no one even mentioned Rozes.

you can't talk LBV without Rozes in the mix

they probably make one of the best LBVs out there, their vps though, does leave much to be desired
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jeff G. wrote:surprised no one even mentioned Rozes.

they probably make one of the best LBVs out there, their vps though, does leave much to be desired
At least in my area Rozes is non-existent. The few I've had I'm generally been happy with. I still a bottle or two of the 1994 LBV left. Wish I could find their stuff easier. I recall their 20 year tawny was pretty good.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Jeff G. wrote:surprised no one even mentioned Rozes.

they probably make one of the best LBVs out there
At least in my area Rozes is non-existent.
Rozes is usually sold at low end liquor store in our area, mix in some Osborne and you're all set.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Rozes is usually sold at low end liquor store in our area, mix in some Osborne and you're all set.
While I've not had a lot of their stuff, I've generally been fairly happy with it. The few VP's were average, but their LBV's and some tawny's were good.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

hi,

Also the Taylor's 2008 LBV is excellent at the mo! especially @ £11, $18.50 (until tuesday @ Waitrose), even at full wack of around £14-15 it still a very well put-together port - i drink more LBV's then anything else as they are easily available (living in the UK!).
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

In a year that a producer was making both VP and LBV, I doubt any of them would set out to make a better LBV.

However, a VP is expected to be good for the long haul, whilst most LBV (including the unfiltered wines) gets drunk before it's ten years old.

The producers therefore favour their lighter fruitier stocks when blending an LBV and their more intense wines when making a VP.

So at age 10, a VP may be dull and closed whilst the LBV made the same year may be close to peak maturity.

At age 25 however, the LBV may well be getting jaded as the VP starts to blossom.

So I don't think you can state categorically that any producer makes a better LBV than VP, and I'm certain that none of the producers would make such a claim..
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:In a year that a producer was making both VP and LBV, I doubt any of them would set out to make a better LBV.

So I don't think you can state categorically that any producer makes a better LBV than VP, and I'm certain that none of the producers would make such a claim..
Tom, this is the Douro we're talking here so always best to preface with "generally" :lol: Quinta do Crasto comes to mind as one who typically makes a better LBV than VP. Mainly as they sell a good amount of their top grapes to other producers. Though keeping certain ones for their top DOC wines.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Quinta do Crasto comes to mind as one who typically makes a better LBV than VP
Crasto certainly makes some good LBVs - the '93 is remarkable, given how terrible the vintage was overall.

However, the Constantino legacy is not forgotton by the Roquettes - at the official 2011 blind tasting, Crasto got my highest score..
John M.

Post by John M. »

"Typically" is the operative word here...Crasto may make the sometime fantastic VP, but within the class, their LBVs rank higher generally than their VPs IMHO....YMMV
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

"Typically" is the operative word here...Crasto may make the sometime fantastic VP, but within the class, their LBVs rank higher generally than their VPs IMHO....YMMV.

So Roy---you said you would weigh in here after awhile...................... [help.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:
Quinta do Crasto comes to mind as one who typically makes a better LBV than VP
Crasto certainly makes some good LBVs - the '93 is remarkable, given how terrible the vintage was overall.

However, the Constantino legacy is not forgotton by the Roquettes - at the official 2011 blind tasting, Crasto got my highest score..
Yes but that legacy ended around 1963 when the Constantino line was sold off. And having not forgotten it, their business practices say otherwise. Absolutely nothing wrong with that mind you. But they've chosen their path and it's on high end Douro DOC wines and LBV. VP has always been second fiddle as their practice of selling off some of their top grapes as mentioned points to that. You feel one vintage out of the past 50 is enough, but their track record and others opinions differ.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

their business practices say otherwise
- Have you tried the Crasto 2011 VP yet?

Most of the Douro Boys 2011 VPs showed very well at the BFT tasting in London, and this was echoed at the Porto blind tasting..
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:
their business practices say otherwise
- Have you tried the Crasto 2011 VP yet?

Most of the Douro Boys 2011 VPs showed very well at the BFT tasting in London, and this was echoed at the Porto blind tasting..
Not yet. But one vintage out of the last 50 isn't a great track record. Just saying.

I do hope they improve them as they have the potential to be a great vp AND Douro wine producer.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I recently had an '06 Crasto LBV and it was quite approachable - medium-bodied, well-balanced, and elegant. Served blind it could not be mistaken for a VP so I am surprised to read that Crasto's LBV might be better than their VP.

Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:I recently had an '06 Crasto LBV and it was quite approachable - medium-bodied, well-balanced, and elegant. Served blind it could not be mistaken for a VP so I am surprised to read that Crasto's LBV might be better than their VP.

Mahmoud.
Crasto's main focus is on their dry wines, being one of the most famous and expensive of the Douro wine producers. As expensive and hard to find as Maria Teresa and VInha da Ponte are outside of Portugal, within the country they have a cult like following and are very difficult to get. Similar to a Screaming Eagle here in California. And, like many producers, they provide grapes and finished Port to other producers as well. So their main focus in recent decades has never been VP's. Though there are some really nice ones, most are average decent mid-aging VPs. However, some of their LBV's (all unfiltered) are among the top of the class in that field.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Crasto's main focus is on their dry wines, being one of the most famous and expensive of the Douro wine producers.
I don't think of port when I think of Crasto. Their dry wines perform well at all price points. Legendary Touriga Nacional.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars