SOCHI OLYMPICS: What are you favorite events so far?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

SOCHI OLYMPICS: What are you favorite events so far?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Are you watching, what are some of your favorite events? Also feel free to diverge from the main topic and just touch upon anything related to Sochi Olympics. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: SOCHI OLYMPICS: What are you favorite events so far?

Post by John M. »

They're all fun---really enjoy watching curling at lunch time. i could do that--with some port to keep me warm!
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Curling fan, and I am serious. Can be so nail biting with all the drama. I grew up down the road from a curling club. Come to think of it, most of the sports played in the winter Olympics are fun to watch. I like the winter Olympics more than the summer events.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Curling fan, and I am serious. Can be so nail biting with all the drama. I grew up down the road from a curling club.
I've been loving the curling. The perfect sport to watch with a glass of 20-yr old tawny in hand!

But I have a question for you. USA-Russia, women's match. Russia leads 9-6 (I think... it was a 3-pt difference for sure) going into the 10th and the US had the hammer.

Russia played a pretty normal end, the US got creative and a bit lucky, and for a short time it looked like the US might actually score 3 to force an extra end.

Why on earth did Russia play a normal end? Would not the safest play - by far - be to place your first rock near the back (or just throw it through) and then spend the rest of the end blowing out every rock that the US throws, regardless of where it ends up? Sure, the US likely scores 1 that way, but Russia would have been nearly guaranteed to win by 2.

Russia did ultimately win, but it ended up being rather tense because the US actually had a chance to even up the score. Why even give them that chance? They can't score 3 if you never let them have more than 1 rock on the ice at a time!
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I'm a closet fan of biathlon. How those nordic skiers can go like mad, then get their heart rate down fast and low enough to hold a rifle still, is almost beyond belief.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Anything on the track. Bobsled, Luge, Skeleton.
I once rode on a four man bobsled in Cortina, Italy. Couldn't even walk on the ice, let alone run or push. Impossible to hold your head in line. With a helmet, I kept bashing it on the sides of the sled. Amazed to see how the Olympic athletes can hold them in a straight line.
One story, my father, while in the US Army was stationed in Italy and saw the Cortina Olymics in 1956. He saw one of the US 4 man sleds slide off the track and crash.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Ray Barnes wrote:I'm a closet fan of biathlon. How those nordic skiers can go like mad, then get their heart rate down fast and low enough to hold a rifle still, is almost beyond belief.
Love biathlon. The dramatic swings that a missed shot can throw into a race are awesome. It is weird to see guys chopping pieces of uniform off because it's so warm though.
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Curling fan, and I am serious. Can be so nail biting with all the drama. I grew up down the road from a curling club.
Russia played a pretty normal end, the US got creative and a bit lucky, and for a short time it looked like the US might actually score 3 to force an extra end.

Why on earth did Russia play a normal end? Would not the safest play - by far - be to place your first rock near the back (or just throw it through) and then spend the rest of the end blowing out every rock that the US throws, regardless of where it ends up? Sure, the US likely scores 1 that way, but Russia would have been nearly guaranteed to win by 2.
Canadian women just did almost the same thing. Up by 2 with the hammer to start the 10th, and they played a normal end.

Russia got creative and were actually lying 3 with a couple of rocks to go, but Canada pulled off a couple of impressive doubles to hold.

But why risk it? You're throwing 2nd... why not just wipe every rock Russia throws? Is there some rule in curling that I'm not aware of, or is it some unwritten rule, or what? Sure it's boring, but it's basically a guaranteed win. I just don't get it.
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I agree with the Family Guy idea of placing a sign for US visitors entering Canada to pass quietly, to avoid interruption of curling in progress.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So much prefer the Winter Olys compared to Summer Games; especially snow events.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Hockey for me, of course. Alpine skiing events are fun, too. The Super G looked insanely tough. Snow conditions don't look too good, and we get to see how they handle it.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Loved the Giant Slalom, an event I used to participate in, albeit at a very different level of racing. [foilhat.gif]

Women's hockey was intriguing, but I am really looking forward to the men tonight, w/ Teams Canada and USA facing off yet again. [cheers.gif]
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I'm not an expert at officiating by any means, but it looked like to me, on the penalty in OT which led to the goal, that the Canadian forward Wickenhayser's skates got tangled up with the US player who was pursuing her on the breakaway attempt. There was no use of a stick cause tripping or any pushing from behind. That seemed like a tough call against the US. If Instant replay comes to hockey, I for one would welcome that.
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

The Stakes are high in the mens Hockey...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics- ... 01911.html
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Justin Bieber was found in Miami to have consumed alcohol, marijuana, and prescription drugs - or in the words of Rob Ford, a snack.

The USA-Canada mens' hockey game was in my view not as close as the final score might suggest. Had it not been for the magnificent performance of netminder Jonathan Quick, Canada could have won that game by 3 goals.