We're heading to Portugal .. any questions for the Shippers?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

We're heading to Portugal .. any questions for the Shippers?

Post by Roy Hersh »

If there is anything that you would like us to ask while heading to visit with a number of large and small producers and shippers, please post your question in this thread. Thanks.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Here's a question:

Why don't they post press releases and details of new products on this site?

There's probably been a couple of dozen SQ declarations for 2004 this year, and you'd think the producers would like people to know about them.

But try finding a list anywhere...

- More communication please!

Tom
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

Definately agree more communication. If you hide your wine guess what people will not buy it, wake up the communication chanels are changing and if you cannot find your wine on google or wine-searcher nor can we!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Why are new declarations so ridiculously priced?

Derek
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

ajfeather wrote:Definately agree more communication. If you hide your wine guess what people will not buy it, wake up the communication chanels are changing and if you cannot find your wine on google or wine-searcher nor can we!
Now about the topic, I'd like to know, for the producer that you'll meet, what are the characteristics they look for in the soil, vines, exposition(terroir) to do great Vintage Port, Colheita or dry wines. Do they decide that before the harvest or only once they can withness the quality of the grapes coming in.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

Part of that is my fault. I was able to try quite a number of 2004s in June (cask samples) and more since. I've also arranged to have the opportunity to try them at most stops we make on this trip. So the fact that I have been slow to do my 2004 VP Forecast is not the fault of the Shippers and producers.

Why "they" choose not to use this website to place their declarations at least from an informational standpoint has me puzzled too. I have directly requested that type of info from the heads of a number of Port companies, yet I still do not get the press releases by email. I guess I am still not considered anywhere near the same league as James Suckling. :salute:

On the other hand, I certainly do understand why some of those lurkers who also head up the Port companies, don't personally post here. We may occasionally get a quick glimpse of an Adrian Bridge, a George Sandeman aka The Don and Bartholomew Broadbent ... but it is not like they will ever become regulars here. Regular lurkers, yes! :roll:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Any info on the quality of 2005s and possible declarations might be nice (my son's birth year)... although I suspect it's just too early to tell.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I truly thought that 2005 was going to be a declared vintage since many producers were quite optimistic about the growing season and harvest. But while in Port land in June, everyone I asked, was a lot less enthusiastic than I would have expected and a couple outright told me they'd pick 2004 over 2005. Neither it seems, is destined for a general declaration.

Regardless, there will be producers who declare anyway, especially SQVPs and 2nd label Vintage Ports.
*sweetstuff

Old stocks

Post by *sweetstuff »

Dear Roy,

I'd guess that just like in Madiera that there are plenty of small lots of old stocks of Ports (such as Colhieta or Garrafiera style, or perhaps even Solereas?) kept in family cellars (particularly Portuguese families) that could be put on the market if a mechanism could be found to make that legal. In the absence of the kind of documentation asked for by the laws today, I think that there is a tendency for these wines to sit and not be enjoyed. Am I correct about this?

What can be found out about this problem? Are there any shippers that are working on it regularly?

Anything we can do as amateurs to help with this?