1977 Croft

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

jrdrisc

1977 Croft

Post by jrdrisc »

Has anyone tried it? Or the 1966? I didn't see tasting notes for either on the main page.

Thanks,
John
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I tried the '77 only once, about a year ago. I suspect my bottle was ill stored as it was dead as it could be. Hopefully there is someone else with a better note.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I had 2 bottles , drank it , No notes but very fond memories. Good stuff , wish I had a case of it left.
Richard Henderson
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

Had read in some places that this may be past its prime, so I opened a bottel I have had for a couple years at earliest opportunity...friends in town from Bermuda who told us a new little one is on its way.

Anyways, was concerned on opening just grabbed a little taste, and it was very hot, concerned on being corked...but time cleared that up. We started consuming about three hrs after open to about 6 hrs, got a little better over the evening (could of been because we were a little more tipsy)...but you could tell it is probably a little long in the tooth...I would envision much better 5 to ten yrs ago than now. Recommend popping open what you have ASAP.
Moses Botbol

Croft VP

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had the 63 and 70 many time and both are outstanding. Would love to try other vintages from them. I love their flavor profile quite a bit.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Pass on buying the 1977 and 1985, both of which are lack luster efforts by Croft. The '77 is slightly better than '85 though not by much. the next excellent Croft came in 1991 and is one of the top wines of the vintage.

2000 was also a very good Croft. In 2001, The Fladgate Partnership took over Croft (and Delaforce) and made many changes including having their own top winemaker, David Guimaraens, oversee all Port production at Croft. That in itself was a major step up, but there were other changes. All fruit for the 2003 came from Quinta da Roeda and for the first time in decades, all grapes were foot trodden in lagares. This made for a huge difference and all you have to do is taste the 2003 Croft and you'll find a wonderful drink today and for years to come it will be a great bottling.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Duprey
Location: West New York, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric Duprey »

The Croft 77 was one of my first serious bottles of vintage port, and I have a very fond memory of sharing it with a good friend when I visited him in Wisconsin. The only other vintage from Croft I've tasted is the 2003, which really impressed me.
Eric
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Had this last night and it was lovely. Beautiful colour, nice nose and very well-balanced. Drier than expected but very good, I didn't think that it was dead at all. Not as good as the 1966 which was astounding but less gritty than the 1945 dregs that bman allowed me. Fabulous with Montgomery cheddar and Colston Basset Stilton.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Thanks for the note KB! Makes me think that my bottle was indeed ill stored. If I find another one from a reliable source, I will give it another try.
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I happen to really like the '63 and '70 Croft's. I have also had a 1935 that was one of my favorite Port's ever! I think that the '77 is good, and I own and have had quite a few. Roy is 200% right on the 1985 Croft being a stinker! I own several cases and each time I drink a bottle it is a crap shoot. I have actually had several that I enjoyed but maybe I'm just crazy? For the most part the 85 is very weak tasting.. even the sediment is a strange light red and purple color and is flakey (rather than the usual fine sediment).