1960's Vintage Dow's Port for Sale

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

mitchell miller

1960's Vintage Dow's Port for Sale

Post by mitchell miller »

Hi Guys,

A bottle of Dow's Vintage 1960's Port for sale. Item has been stored upright, at ambient temperature in a drinks globe for the entirety of its life. This was passed to me by my grandad to sell. Make me an offer. [imnewhere.gif] Thanks

Mitch
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Last edited by mitchell miller on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John M.

Re: 1960's Vintage Dow's Port for Sale

Post by John M. »

Hi Mitchell;

Can you tell us where you are located?

Thank you.

John M.
Any Port in a storm!
mitchell miller

Hi,

Located in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, UK. Any other questions? Thanks

Mitch
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ullage?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
mitchell miller

Hi,

I wouldn't know this figure accurately as I'm not an expert. However there appears to be minimum space between the cork and surface of the port. 0.5-1cm. Thanks

Mitch
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Picture from the top of the capsule would be needed.

Upright storage is not ideal; price range is UKP 60 to 80 for ideal bottles; i think you should expect something around the lower value since this is a single bottle and there are no references from you.

Regarding ullage you don't have to be an expert, only eyes and a good flashlight->is the wine level still into neck or already into shoulder? My guess would be into neck since you mention +1 cm below cork.

Also the paper seal seems to be broken and the wax seems kind of odd to me, but a good picture from the top should help.

If the seal is broken and the wax is new, you can not expect any offers since no one has a guarantee if what might be in the bottle.
mitchell miller

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your information. When I said 'Expert' before I meant even having a general knowledge, I have no clue about fine wines or port and was handed this down by my grandad. In response to your questions I've had conflicting information around this. I've read elsewhere that it is good for the item to be kept upright no? What references would be required? I can confirm the wine level is 1cm away from the cork and still in the neck of the bottle. Thanks

Mitch
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
mitchell miller

Bottle No.
Attachments
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Mitchell,

storage for Vintage Port=lying - period. Madeira would require standing; some experts think that Tokaji should be stored lying, but must say standing. As for Colheita Ports most experts say standing. Your bottle is Vintage Port, so no discussions about this.

In MY humble opinion the Seal is broken and the Way/laquer capsule is not identifiable anymore, so any buyer wouldn't have any guarantee of what is inside the bottle, this would probably mean that you're better off enjoying the wine yourself - since you will trust your granddad in the fact that it is the original juice.

If selling I wouldn't expect more than 15-20 Pounds IF anyone would be interested at all.

Maybe if the Seal on the back side would reach until UNDER the wax that could lead to higher probabilities for the wine to be authetic and so lead to a higher offer.

But I'd say: wait until a cold rainy or snowy evening and then enjoy yourself.

Andy
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I understand Andreas' concerns, and that would be a factor in the price. On the other hand, I've seen a number of older bottles which I believed to be genuine that have had the selo torn like that. It isn't unheard of. If the bottle were in the U.S., I would certainly offer more than the US$ equivalent of 15-20 Pounds. The upright storage is also a factor too.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow, tough crowd!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Menchen wrote:I understand Andreas' concerns, and that would be a factor in the price. On the other hand, I've seen a number of older bottles which I believed to be genuine that have had the selo torn like that. It isn't unheard of. If the bottle were in the U.S., I would certainly offer more than the US$ equivalent of 15-20 Pounds. The upright storage is also a factor too.
I wouldn't let the Selo or lack of play into the valuation of an older bottle. As Eric said, Selo can be torn quite easily and fakes of mainstream port is pretty uncommon.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:I understand Andreas' concerns, and that would be a factor in the price. On the other hand, I've seen a number of older bottles which I believed to be genuine that have had the selo torn like that. It isn't unheard of. If the bottle were in the U.S., I would certainly offer more than the US$ equivalent of 15-20 Pounds. The upright storage is also a factor too.
I wouldn't let the Selo or lack of play into the valuation of an older bottle. As Eric said, Selo can be torn quite easily and fakes of mainstream port is pretty uncommon.
So - where are the bids.

Up and up it goes :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:
mitchell miller

Tough Crowd I noticed! Guys if anyone would like to buy I'd even take £10-20. Which will go towards a charity event I'm completing. Thanks

https://www.justgiving.com/muddermitch
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

mitchell miller wrote:Tough Crowd I noticed! Guys if anyone would like to buy I'd even take £10-20. Which will go towards a charity event I'm completing. Thanks

https://www.justgiving.com/muddermitch

Hi Mitchell,

good call!!!

Good luck; I still think you should enjoy that bottle on your own, who knows when you'll ever get another chance to get your hands on that old of a mature port and on one you know how it's been kept.

Just my 2c.
mitchell miller

Hi Andreas,

Really appreciate that, however I would rather the money go to charity to an amazing cause! Teens Unite who care for children with cancer. More worthy, than for my pleasure! Thanks Again

Mitch