FTLOP 9th Anniversary Party - Update 7/18/14

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: FTLOP 9th Anniversary Party - Update 7/7/14

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Andy wrote:
Sounds good to me. And did I tell you I passed my covert lock picking class at work. :)
I hope that includes simple locks tied to explosive devices?!?!? [shok.gif]
Door locked and bottles not open. Once door is open, the bottles will be too. Dual problem solved with minimal effort. [yahoo.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edgar B.
Location: Port Angeles, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Edgar B. »

for Sunday I'll bring a '63 warre's.
ed
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

I saw that Edgar is brining a '63 Warre, I think I have a bottle of 1970 Warre I can bring. I'm also in for the $40 on the Nacional
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Lindsay E. wrote:I saw that Edgar is brining a '63 Warre, I think I have a bottle of 1970 Warre I can bring. I'm also in for the $40 on the Nacional
Lindsay, does that mean you're confirmed for Sunday as well?
Glenn Elliott
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Yes, Glenn! Definitely in for Sunday. Thank you.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Awesome! First post up-to-date. :)
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The start times as requested, along with more info:

a. Saturday - noon @ the Holiday Inn Issaquah. Please eat a sturdy breakfast or lunch before you show up! We will take a dinner break. My thinking is that there used to be a few good restaurants in walking distance. The best of them closed its doors and options are limited (Red Robin, Thai, Pho). For expedience sake, what if we were to eat in the hotel dining room? I am sure we could have a decent burger, piece of fish, steak ... whatever, now that they have renovated the lobby including the restaurant. That way we can likely save a bunch of time, keep everyone together and get started on round 2 of 1994's asap.

b. Sunday event - We are 11 people. We are going to a local home for the final Port tasting of the weekend. There are some stellar Ports as you can see. Arrival at noon (sharp) and it will take us some time to set up. We will provide transport for the guests staying locally and those at the hotel w/ cars can help us. We will likely meet at the hotel and go from there. We can discuss this further in person, or here ... up to you; and directions will be brought for distribution, "just in case." If anyone has questions or a better idea, I am open to listen, but I think this could work out great. Our hosts are providing a place for the tasting, but they're not cooking for us. We'd have to eat beforehand and can stop afterwards to grab dinner. Those flying out on Sunday, should let us know if you still think this will fit your schedule, as this will likely finish up around 6-8 p.m. for those that want to eat afterwards. If you have a flight before 9 p.m. on Sunday, please do let us know.

Again, I am open to suggestions or alternatives.

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I will make one more attempt to find the 1994 Osborne tonight.

Thanks for setting all of this up!!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Not that it matters, but I've absorbed the cost of all room charges for our tasting at the hotel, as this is a FTLOP sponsored event. Only hotel rooms will have to be paid for by those staying at the newly renovated Holiday inn. Locals try to absorb our out of town guests when possible.

Anyway, I hope all participants will answer my previous message and add insight or suggestions.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Saturday dinner in the hotel's dining room is fine with me. I would probably just get a burger at Red Robin anyway, so a burger at the hotel works just as well.

Sunday I can take as many as 6 people with me if necessary by putting the 3rd row in my truck (or 4 without the 3rd row). There are a couple of great breakfast/brunch places on Gilman Blvd that we can go to prior to the event if people want to.

You're going to love the house we're going to. You'll want to participate on Sunday if at all possible. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Edgar B.

Post by Edgar B. »

From my POV, a noon start time for '94 port part 1 is too early. I say that because I'm driving from Port Angeles, WA, about a 4-5 hour drive and ferry ride and depending upon the vagaries of the Hood Canal bridge being closed for a ship to pass through. Yes, I hear you saying...leave earlier, but It would be nice to have an hour or two buffer just in case.

Other than that, thank you Roy :NotWorthy: for planning all of this for our pleasure. I will be staying at the HInn in Issaquah, same as for the LBV tasting.

Looking forward to a portastic time [yahoo.gif] !!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Edgar, the Saturday time is pretty much carved in stone. My suggestion is to arrive on Friday afternoon/evening and not drive and be tired on Sat. I expect Sat. to go from noonish to midnight. So really, a drive over that a.m. would not be good even if we were starting later. We do not want to rush through and have a couple of dozen 1994's and want to take our time and still have enough spare time for a solid 60-90 minute break between sessions.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'll have a rental car and can help transport people on Sunday.
Edgar B.

Post by Edgar B. »

Roy, I understand what you're saying and a Friday night stay would be great, except that they are quite proud of their rooms at Hol Inn Issaquah @ $200/ night includes taxes etc.

No whining from me...I'll sort it out someway.
Ed
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn, Add a 1970 Dow's VP for Sunday from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:Glenn, Add a 1970 Dow's VP for Sunday from me.

Had one a couple months ago, will be very excited to try another. It was delicious.

-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Glenn, Add a 1970 Dow's VP for Sunday from me.

Had one a couple months ago, will be very excited to try another. It was delicious.

good. I haven't had one in years

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good news!

Our hosts on Sunday are Lisa and Vic. We will likely take a break mid-tasting and order in some really good local pizzas. I'm buying!
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Awesome! Looking forward to it!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Good news!

Our hosts on Sunday are Lisa and Vic. We will likely take a break mid-tasting and order in some really good local pizzas. I'm buying!
Fantastic. Looking forward to it!