What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Last night I brought over a 1963 Dow and 1978 Mondavi Cab to a birthday party. Both wines were rocking!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

1985 Fonseca VP
Ferreira 20 Yr Tawny
2007 Fonseca LBV

The 1985 Fonseca was v nice but I expected more... wondering if my palate is more geared towards aged tawnies...
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Miguel Simoes wrote:1985 Fonseca VP
Ferreira 20 Yr Tawny
2007 Fonseca LBV

The 1985 Fonseca was v nice but I expected more... wondering if my palate is more geared towards aged tawnies...
Or possibly more mature VPs as well. F85 is quite drinkable right now, but most of the bottles that I've had are far from fully mature. It's only 28 years old, after all, and my rule of thumb is 30 years for a good Port. F85 isn't "merely" a good Port... it's a monster that will probably need 40 years to reach that same level of maturity for me.

Which reminds me, I need more of those...
Glenn Elliott
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Glenn E. wrote:
Miguel Simoes wrote: The 1985 Fonseca was v nice but I expected more... wondering if my palate is more geared towards aged tawnies...
Or possibly more mature VPs as well.
That's my hope. Really enjoy port in general, and the collectibility aspect of VP in particular, but have struggled to enjoy some nicer ones (T94, V94, F85) as much as I expected.

Am looking to find some nicer bottles from the 70s (at reasonable prices) to see if there is hope for me on the aged VP front... Hard to find them at such prices though!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Tonight a 1963, 1983 & 1985 Dows....I think there's a 2007 Crasto coming, too, which is a nice one--don't know what else. Celebrating a friends 50th--just a small group of 6.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Miguel Simoes wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
Miguel Simoes wrote: The 1985 Fonseca was v nice but I expected more... wondering if my palate is more geared towards aged tawnies...
Or possibly more mature VPs as well.
That's my hope. Really enjoy port in general, and the collectibility aspect of VP in particular, but have struggled to enjoy some nicer ones (T94, V94, F85) as much as I expected.

Am looking to find some nicer bottles from the 70s (at reasonable prices) to see if there is hope for me on the aged VP front... Hard to find them at such prices though!
Also look at some "second or third tier" VP's or SQVP's from the 80's or 90's. They will mature faster and give you a similar experience but at a much cheaper price than the top ones. These also make great cellar defenders while you wait for the big boys to mature.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I opened a bottle of Dow 1983 and was really disappointed by it - too much bottle stink and not enough time to let the smell blow off. Pity as I normally really like this port.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

375ml 1998 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port. This was much nicer than the last one I had, which I scored 90. This one was probably a 92.
Miguel Simoes wrote:That's my hope. Really enjoy port in general, and the collectibility aspect of VP in particular, but have struggled to enjoy some nicer ones (T94, V94, F85) as much as I expected.
T94 is a monster, and others put the F85 in that category as well, so yes those likely require more time. I only found the T94 approachable for the first time last year. Before that it was just too much. V94 was approachable a few years back, but multiple reports around here put it in a funky stage at the moment. Hopefully it will emerge as good or better than I've had it before.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Niepoort 20 year tawny last night.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

1991 Gould Campbell VP
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

1977 Warre VP
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

2007 Taylor Fladgate LBV

Seems a bit simple this time around. I'm hoping it will take on some weight overnight.
Glenn Elliott
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

Glenn E. wrote:2007 Taylor Fladgate LBV

Seems a bit simple this time around. I'm hoping it will take on some weight overnight.
I have not had any of the 2007s, yet. The 2003s seem to be completely sold out (at least in my area) and the 2005s are nearly gone. Fortunately, I have a few of the 2003s left and they are holding up quite nicely. Too bad the 2005s were not quite to the same level. I will have to pick up a 2007 to see if I want to buy a case.

-- Gary
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

I've had the Graham, Fonseca and Taylor 2007 LBVs.

IMHO, Fonseca comes out far ahead, then bw the Taylor and Graham, would say the Taylor ahead but not by much.

Given the not so different pricing bw them, would just stick to the Fonseca.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Miguel Simoes wrote:IMHO, Fonseca comes out far ahead,
That has been my experience also, but not by much. Fonseca isn't really my style in an LBV, so that plays into it in my case.

I have one remaining 2003 Taylor LBV, but the last one I opened was starting to show its age. I suspect that we're getting pretty close to the end for them simply because they are filtered and not really meant to be aged. I wasn't all that fond of the 2005 Taylor LBV... for me it was the weakest of the three ('03, '05, '07).

My "aging" experiment is probably getting close to a point where I should start checking. I have some '03 Noval LBV and some '03 Quevedo LBV that I've be holding. I only have 6 of each, though, so I don't want to start opening them too soon. :Naughty:
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

It was my birthday blow-out this weekend. With 20 guests - 14 of whom were drinking port - we got through 44 different shippers from the 1963 vintage, a tappit hen of Warre 1977 and had surprise visits from a bottle of Burmester 1863, a Martinez Crusted bottled in 1973, a magnum of Batailley 1966 and a bottle of Coche 2010.

It was tremendous fun!
Markus D.

Post by Markus D. »

Canadian Thanksgiving dinner tonight. I'll be opening up a 1994 Warre's I found for a steal in Portland a few years ago. My first time tasting this VP [cheers.gif]
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Al B. wrote:It was my birthday blow-out this weekend. With 20 guests - 14 of whom were drinking port - we got through 44 different shippers from the 1963 vintage, a tappit hen of Warre 1977 and had surprise visits from a bottle of Burmester 1863, a Martinez Crusted bottled in 1973, a magnum of Batailley 1966 and a bottle of Coche 2010.

It was tremendous fun!
Quite the blow-out!! 44 different shippers of '63... Fantastic :)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Sounds great, and happy birthday Al! I look forward to the report, but no pressure on you since that is Roy's job :smile:
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Sandeman 30 Yr
Ferreira 20 Yr
Andresen 20 Yr

Wondering which will win side by side. For now the Andresen is ahead...