Are you willing to pay ...

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Are you willing to pay ...

Post by Andy Velebil »

I have no issues with breaking the $100 mark, and do so regularly, but it would obviously depend on what I am buying.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I'm coming in late here but I thought I'd chime in on this one. To get a good bottle of Vintage Port in Australia we would be certain to pay over AU $100 for current vintage at retailers. I was in one of our larger retailers today where the 07 Croft and Fonseca VPs were around the Au $110 mark (thats about where the range stopped too). The cheapest Quinta do Noval 07 that I've seen is $150 while the most expensive is over $200. I don't think we see the price drop for the lesser vintages like the 04 either.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Sorry about those prices in Oz Paul. They are harsh. You have our sympathy from the States, where things are a little better, but nowhere near as nice as London. Alas, we do the best we can. Is shipping a viable option? I'm guessing it isn't easy, but is it even possible?
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Thanks for your sympathy Eric. I'm not sure how viable or possible direct shipping is. I'm hoping there will be a few Australians on the forum that have more experience in the aquisition of port than I do and will let me in on a few of their secrets! I guess the problem for Australia and the US is that we are both too far away from Portugal!
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

I did most of my purchasing(and drinking) over the last 40 years so a lot of my purchases were at "older rates" but I would not hesitate to spend $ 100 on a bottle (older port or current cabernet). The average cost of my 211 bottles of port is $ 40 per. My oldest bottle of port is now 1970. Sadly, all the 63s are gone.