n/v Morgado Tawny Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ahh, I can see how that would cause confusion. I myself could find no information about Morgado online either.

Roy, or anyone else with contacts: If possible could you do us a favor and try and find out about Morgado and where all these old VP's and tawnys are really coming from? Thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike Halerz wrote:There was a thread on the eBob a while back about the 87 VP, which at least one member suggested was Offley Boa Vista VP that TJs had bought and rebranded.

The 87 VP was clearly the winner of that bunch for my taste. The 10yr wasn't bad, but didn't match up to other 10yrs or even other "normal" tawnies I've had at the same price.
Iagree on the 87 VP. I have been drinking the Morgado for years from TJ's. The vintage is the best of the lot and if one had it by itself, is not that bad. Wouldn't the cork determine if it was Offley's? They are the same importer. I think it's pretty funny to see TN's on this line of port! I sent a friend in N. Carolina a case of the 87 VP back in 2003.

Costco has TJ's beat in 10 cat for sure with their Kirkland brand 10 year.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike Halerz
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Halerz »

Moses Botbol wrote: Costco has TJ's beat in 10 cat for sure with their Kirkland brand 10 year.
Haven't tried this yet (actually haven't seen it in our area). What's the price point on it by you?

As a side note, I was at TJ's just a couple days ago and they still had a decent amount of the 87 Morgado @ $9.99, plus the 10yr, ruby and normal tawny. They also started carrying Quarles Harris and had a ruby and tawny at $8.99, a 10yr tawny at $14.99 and a 2000 LBV at about $12.99. Tried the tawny and it was *very* ruby in style (much like I felt about the normal Morgado tawny). Not bad, not great, but I've had others in the price range that are "more tawny."

I might go back to try either the LBV or the 10yr just to scope them out. I can think of few other LBVs at $12.99, so it would be a good deal if it's decent.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike Halerz wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote: Costco has TJ's beat in 10 cat for sure with their Kirkland brand 10 year.
Haven't tried this yet (actually haven't seen it in our area). What's the price point on it by you?
It's $16.99 and they sell Fonseca 10 year for $20.99. Both are made by Fonseca, but the Kirkland is much richer tasting.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Next time I go to my local Costco I'll have to get some and try it. Thanks for the tip.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Duprey
Location: West New York, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric Duprey »

Andy-

I've been wondering about the mysterious Morgado myself. I have had both the 1987 VP and the 10yr old tawny from Trader Joes. I think they are both great everyday ports for the price and do intend to get more. Did you have a chance to try the Quarles Harris 10yr old tawny yet? I think it is a bit better than the Morgado tawny and will probably become my daily tawny of choice.
Eric
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric,

How you been? Yes I've tried the Quarles Harris 10 year tawny two times from two different bottles bought on the same day. I posted a note on it (some reason i can't get the URL to post here correctly, so you'll have to do a search)

The first time I tasted it in February 2006 and I though it was decent for the price. However, the second time in June I did not care for it. At $15.00 for the QH, I would rather spend a few dollars more and get the Noval 10 yr, was much better. I guess my tastes had changed in that time... and I know they've changed a lot since then :wink: