November 2007 VT: Share with us a bottle from Graham's Brand

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote: I have forced myself to drink corked VP before (haven't we Andy?) and I will do so agian :wink:

Derek
Admit nothing, deny everthing, and demand proof :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Graham's 20 Year Old Tawny-VT

Post by Todd Pettinger »

After the Graham's Six Grapes earlier in the month, a burtal on-call week last week, and a disaster that hit our data center and kept me in emergency-recovery mode for over 18 hours yesterday I felt it was time to open a treat that has been in the cellar for a couple of months waiting for it's time to shine... Graham’s 20 Year Old Tawny

Upon decanting, very light pink with secondary orange colours, but thin mouthfeel, with no grip at all. Weak, yet sweet. I never would have believed I would say this about Port but it is almost too sweet. Caramel with a nutty disposition.

After a day of decanting a bit of grip was evident with more complex flavours. Even the colour had a bit of evolution, turning a lot more tawny orange with a brown rim. A touch of floral scent on the nose. I’m not sure whether there is sufficient acidity to balance off the sweetness. Still very sweet, simple but a bit disappointingly thin. I have to say I was expecting a lot more from this Port and based on this, not sure I would expend the extra money to step up to the 30 or 40 year offering from Graham.

Todd
Todd Pettinger

[NV] Grahams's 10 Year Tawny

Post by Todd Pettinger »

[NV] Grahams's 10 Year Old Tawny
Red/pink and bricking colour, there was some brown/tawny orange on the meniscus. A bit of stinging heat was present on the nose and in the palate. While it was not strong enough to detract from the overall enjoyment of the Port, had I been scoring, it would have lost at least one point for this. Short and sweet with a bit of a spicy note, reminiscent of gingerbread.
Todd Pettinger

1996 Graham's Malvedos VP

Post by Todd Pettinger »

[1996] Graham's Malvedos Vintage Port
I have purchased at least one bottle of this and will likely pick up at least one more for longer-term storage. A vibrant, rich red in the glass, a touch lighter than the Fonseca LBV. Showing some bricking on the meniscus.
Sweet black currents, black berries and cherries were present on the palate.A touch of chocolate displays a touch of aging tannins. It certainly performed well, but I found a strong acidity to detract from the overall enjoyment. I scribbled a note that looked like "I wonder if another 5-7 years will allow some [of the]acid to integrate/take the edge off."

This VP may have a few years til it's peak but was juicy and sweet today.