Who is currently putting Ports away for their children?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Michael Ferrier

Re: Who is currently putting Ports away for their children?

Post by Michael Ferrier »

I have a fairly selfish attitude to this question. I assume that I'm immortal and thus I will continue to buy and consume port regardless of my age. If events prove otherwise then my daughter (b.1977) and son-in-law will have whatever is left.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

After reading several of your posts, I like the way some of you think. I didn't really discover Port until my late twenties and did not start really "drinking" it until I was thirty.

Because of this, I doubt very much that my kids will see any of their Port before their 25th b-day. As 18 is the age of majority here in Alberta, Canada, they technically could have it as young as that, but it would be a waste. I will hold onto the first one until they are 20 or 21, and see where things head from there. I have posted this previously on this sort of topic and continue to abide by the same philosophy:

The VP is being put away for them. It is a gift to them from me. Should they not be interested in VP at 21, I will strongly encourage them either allow them to sit in the cellar until they are 30, or, if they wish to sell them, for instance if they believe they need the money for college, etc, to sell them to me for what I paid for them, not the inflated price that the Port will be worth 20 years from now. That way, I should be able to afford the wine, ;) and they get something out of it and I will have the VP in the end! (So I am sort of selfish after all! :cool:)

Todd
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Wise words, Todd.

I have no plans to give my son cases of port until he is mature enough to know what to do with them. He will taste his birth year port many times before he has possession of the case or cases that they are from.

My worse fear would be handing him a case of 24 half bottles of port on the day he moves into his student flat at University and all 24 are drunk from the bottles by him and 23 of his new friends before the night is out :help: :Naughty: :snooty:

He is still only 14 so he has plenty of time to develop an appreciation for VP. After all, the oldest port he has tasted so far was an 1873. He's not even close to being experienced :snooty: :lol:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Derek T. wrote:He is still only 14 so he has plenty of time to develop an appreciation for VP. After all, the oldest port he has tasted so far was an 1873. He's not even close to being experienced :snooty: :lol:
This proves it.. i HAVE To find a job and move to the UK... It is sick that a 14 year old has tried an older Port than I have... and i have a SERIOUS, mature appreciation for it! :help: :cry:
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

A 14 yr old has had VP , jeeez , I'm just glad that cows don't fly :roll:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I see NOTHING wrong with allowing an individual to sample a taste or smell of wine from time to time. Many of my friends have done so with their kids. My daughter's first taste of Port came at 3 weeks old, a 1963 Taylor. Anytime she is around and a bottle is in play, I always ask her opinion on what she smells and if she then asks for a sip, I permit her to take a small one. I realize that at under 6 years old (actually started at about 3 years old) some may view this as being an irresponsible parent. That is certainly not how I view it and after some time, my wife even agrees now ... coming from a medical/health background.

But this is really about cellaring of wine for our children and I like Todd's approach very much.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I often ask my 6 yr old daughter ( Aline ) for her opinion .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote:I see NOTHING wrong with allowing an individual to sample a taste or smell of wine from time to time. Many of my friends have done so with their kids.
I realize that at under 6 years old (actually started at about 3 years old) some may view this as being an irresponsible parent.
That's not what I meant, although I see how what I wrote could have been interpreted that way. What I meant was that it is sick (ha ha) that someone with 17 less years of age could have drank a far older VP than me. NOT FAIR!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

My son's year is 2007 so far indications look promising this release...
I will certainly buy some for him or for us to enjoy together. Oh and any colheitas I can find.
As he grows up he will be exposed to it and his parents drinking it so he most likely will have some level of interest I hope. Next baby will be in 2009 so we can only hope for a good year.

Oh and I have 1 or 2 bottles (2000&2003) that I want to leave for grand children (or so will say my will). Or perhaps the instructions will be to open it when it is 100 years old. Since I will probably never have the chance to taste a 100 year old VP... I can try to offer that priviledge to someone. call me crazy.

cheers
Paul
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Paul_B wrote:
Oh and I have 1 or 2 bottles (2000&2003) that I want to leave for grand children (or so will say my will). Or perhaps the instructions will be to open it when it is 100 years old. Since I will probably never have the chance to taste a 100 year old VP... I can try to offer that priviledge to someone. call me crazy.

cheers
Paul
Paul,
I think thats a great idea and one I must consider. Others were kind enough to leave some bottles for us to try over a century later and returning the favor is probably the right thing to do.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

When I have kids and they are "of age" to start enjoying port, they can have whatever is in my cellar; as long as they drink with me around, lol...

80 year from now when I pass (wishful thinking), whatever is leftover is theirs anyway. I do not think (or at least hope), that my prized collection of a lifetime of buying will be depleted in some frat party or some keg party at night by the cranberry bogs. My children should have enough fore-thought and class to know a proper setting for enjoying port or wine.

I suppose I will buy some vintage port in recognition of their birth year, but most likely I would buy it either way. I would rather them enjoy an off-year that is a better vintage than something that was solely bought because of some number associated to it.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote: I do not think (or at least hope), that my prized collection of a lifetime of buying will be depleted in some frat party or some keg party at night by the cranberry bogs. My children should have enough fore-thought and class to know a proper setting for enjoying port or wine..
Thats like wishing a kid left alone in a candy store doesn't eat any of the candy :help:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Thats like wishing a kid left alone in a candy store doesn't eat any of the candy :help:
Maybe they'll eat too much "candy" early on and know not to like it until they are older. How many have vowed off Tequila until they were in their 30's?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I never touched Southern Comfort again after my worse drinking night of my life in college....I vowed never to get that drunk again and haven't!
Jan-Tore Egge

Post by Jan-Tore Egge »

Moses Botbol wrote:Maybe they'll eat too much "candy" early on and know not to like it until they are older. How many have vowed off Tequila until they were in their 30's?
Now that you mention it: I'm not sure I've drunk Tequila since my twenties. (I'm 43.) Not that I ever vowed not to drink it; it's just that there are so many drinks and so little time...
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I never touched Southern Comfort again after my worse drinking night of my life in college....I vowed never to get that drunk again and haven't!
Me too. I drunk a bottle of the stuff on my 18th birthday and to this day I feel sick if I even smell it :help:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Derek T. wrote:Me too. I drunk a bottle of the stuff on my 18th birthday and to this day I feel sick if I even smell it :help:
Have the kinders get like that on Port and your collection will be safe :twisted: :hello:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Derek T. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I never touched Southern Comfort again after my worse drinking night of my life in college....I vowed never to get that drunk again and haven't!
Me too. I drunk a bottle of the stuff on my 18th birthday and to this day I feel sick if I even smell it :help:
Bingo!!! Although i was 22 I think. Andf it was likely more than a bottle. :oops: :help:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Paul B.,

I think you can rest assured of the quality and declaration of 2007. I have only had a handful from the still to be bottled 2007 vintage, but was very much enamored with a couple of them. One in particular stood out above all the rest and I'd drink it tomorrow if it was available. Anyway, with your 2nd child going to be born in 2009, it will be more difficult as there are not many vintages that have ever had a "9" as the last digit. Good luck on that score.

Nonetheless, I commend you on considering laying down a case for each of your children! :clap:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

I have bought moderate amounts for my first two 95 and 97 but my third is 04 whivh i know nothing about