What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Just receieved the case of 30 year old Krohn I purchased last week. What a steal.
You actually had it shipped in this weather? Brave man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

30 yr old Quinta Sta. Eufemia
30 yr old S. Leonardo

Those served as my Port ration on the cruise. :)
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses stopped by the house for a BBQ and we had some stellar wines and Port. Vertice, 201 Niepoort Coche, 1963 Fonseca, 1966 Graham's, 1967 Krohn Colheita to mention just the Portuguese ones.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Opened a Niepoort 1991 VP - yet another bottle suffering VA problems
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:Opened a Niepoort 1991 VP - yet another bottle suffering VA problems
Lots of that going on for them from the late 80's through late 90's. I've stopped buying any VP from them during these time periods and am drinking what little I still have left of them. My going rate is a VA ridden case of 1/2 bottle 1997 VP's, got a mag of 1997 VP on death row, and a few odd bottles of some other vintages. Not happy about the wasted money on the case and mag but I'd rather consume as a "Tuesday night Port" than sell it off and let someone endure the same flawed bottles.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Al B. wrote:Opened a Niepoort 1991 VP - yet another bottle suffering VA problems
Lots of that going on for them from the late 80's through late 90's. I've stopped buying any VP from them during these time periods and am drinking what little I still have left of them. My going rate is a VA ridden case of 1/2 bottle 1997 VP's, got a mag of 1997 VP on death row, and a few odd bottles of some other vintages. Not happy about the wasted money on the case and mag but I'd rather consume as a "Tuesday night Port" than sell it off and let someone endure the same flawed bottles.
After 4 days in the decanter either the VA has blown off to some extent or I have become much more tolerant of it. There is still an unpleasant level of sharpness / acidity in the palate, but the off-putting pear drops smell and flavour has gone.

Maybe you just need to decant for a long time before drinking. Sounds like you have a few bottles you could experiment with.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
After 4 days in the decanter either the VA has blown off to some extent or I have become much more tolerant of it. There is still an unpleasant level of sharpness / acidity in the palate, but the off-putting pear drops smell and flavour has gone.

Maybe you just need to decant for a long time before drinking. Sounds like you have a few bottles you could experiment with.
May have to, but the 1/2 bottle I may open tonight won't last that long :winebath: Maybe the next one...or the mag :)
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Friday night I opend a Kopke Colheita 1985. Nothing special, a bit simple.
Saturday night I opend an ancient Diez Hermanos Lacryma. This bottle a lot more exciting
Ivan Madsen

Post by Ivan Madsen »

Friday evening I had some Dalva GW 71 (always a great pleasure ) and Saturday I had a Delaforce VT 1970 - it was close to perfect ) - nice weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1985 Gould Campbell VP
1984 Kopke Colheita (2013)

Opened at a BBQ competition to show the difference between Ruby and Tawny at 30 years of age. Both were excellent!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1952 Kopke Colheita (375ml, bottled 2012)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1998 Niepoort Colheita
1991 Croft VP
Krohn 30 year old Tawny
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

1985 Souza VP. Pop and Pour on the spur of the moment. After giving it an hour to open it was nice.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Well, it's Sept. 10 here already in the Marshall Islands. We're across the International Date Line.
Will be opening a Brunheda 40 year old to celebrate Port Day. [cheers.gif]
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Just opened at Graham's 20 year Tawny port, to celebrate Port day 2015.

My first time tasting Graham's so quite exciting experience.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:Just opened at Graham's 20 year Tawny port, to celebrate Port day 2015.

My first time tasting Graham's so quite exciting experience.
Do let us know how you like it.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1987 Krohn Colheita, bottled 2011. Very nice, though not up to the standard set by their 1976. Though what is?
Glenn Elliott
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Glenn - how would you rate the '76 vs '84 and/or '74?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Phil W wrote:Glenn - how would you rate the '76 vs '84 and/or '74?
'76 reigns supreme for any (relatively) recent Krohn Colheita. It is sublime. I can't compare it to the 1896 or 1863 because, much to my dismay, I haven't had either of those. :( But from what I've heard, they might actually be even better. :wink:

I don't doubt that the '84 and '74 are also superb, though I can't recall specifically having had either of them. Are you thinking of the Kopke '84 and '74?

If you're looking for numbers, I generally have the Krohn '76 in the 97-98 range. My memory puts the Kopke '84 in the 92-94 range. I haven't done a TN yet, but this Krohn '87 will probably end up in that range as well depending on how it shows tonight.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

20 year Niepoort Tawny (note already posted). Bottled 2010