Getting ready for the HARVEST trip

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Uh oh...

Post by Guest »

I think the TSA just added loin cloths to the banned items list.... :shock:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Don't laugh, it is not hard to prognosticate a future rule change that:

a. no cell phones, computers or battery operated devices be allowed aboard the plane. Way too easy to use these devices to detonate explosives within the belly of a plane.

b. no carry on luggage at all. It would not shock me. It would piss off a lot of business class regulars though, they could be happy that the boarding and deplaning would be sped up dramatically, ergo on time performance of the airlines. Who knows? :wall:

c. let's forget about the stuff which is out of our control :beat: and focus on having a great trip! :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK, so thinking positive for the trip, I have devised a way to get a spot of port on board the plane. use a small all plastic flask, insert some tawny, stick into sock, walk onto plane, enjoy in a cheap plastic airline cup :twisted:

DISCLAIMER: to all those Federal people reading, just kidding :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, how many hours ahead is Portugal from Pacific Standard Time (PST). I am planning on starting my time adjustment here in the states before I leave to minimize the adjustment once I get to Portugal.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy,

Portugal is on the same time as the UK and I think you are about 9 hours behind us. Good luck with the jetlag mixed with 30 glasses of port on your first day in VNG :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derek
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I think it should be more like 8 hours from Andy. Portugal is 5 hours difference from Eastern Time and pacific coast is 3 hours from here, so it makes it 8.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There is an 8 hour difference Andy. Welcome to my world, staying up to speak with Portugal late at night (early a.m.) so I catch folks when they get to work in Oporto or the Douro.

Anyway, you will definitely want to drink lots of water on the plane ride over. If you are arriving on Sunday a.m., whatever you do ... fight the urge to go to sleep when you do get to Portugal. Stay up all day and get a decent night's sleep. You'll probably wake up at 3 a.m. wide awake, but that is typical for the day after arrival. I normally don't adjust until the following day/night. By Tuesday, you should be on track.

As far as 30 glasses of Port, I assume Derek was talking about morning and lunch on Monday? 8)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks guys.

Luckily I do quite good when it comes to adjusting my sleep schedule. Work often times has me working the graveyard shift so major time adjustments don't kill me. My plane leaves Newark around 9:30 pm (East coast time) and arrives in Porto about 8:30 am (Porto time) so I plan to sleep as much as I can on the plane and then check out the city on foot for a while.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I'll be doing the same, arriving on the same plane as Andy. I'm looking forward to checking out the city! Maybe Vinlogia for a quick taste on Sunday (just to whet the appetite?).

Monday I guess we will be having 30 glasses of port for breakfast to wake us up, then more for lunch to offset the logey feeling from the food, then a little port appetizer before dinner to whet the appetite? Then 30 more for dinner? When will the horror end? We'll be sure to sleep well Monday night! :D

It's just getting up Tuesday morning that might be hard :shock:

Jay
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jay,

Don't worry you will have lots of practice, I promise! Of course upon your return, we won't be surprised to hear that you have sworn off ALL alcoholic beverages for a week or two ....

Hey are you and Andy on:

TAP flight 114, which departs Newark at 9:15 p.m. on Saturday?

If so ... PARTY TIME. How cool and coincidental is this?

Now how do we get my bottle of old Colheita on board? How about a leather Bota bag? 8)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,

Yes we are on the same connecting flight from Newark to Porto. Jay correct me if I am wrong...We had spoken, via email, about flights when he was thinking about going. I gave him my flight info. I am glad he was able to get the same connecting flight from Newark. Roy, I guess that makes it a bit easier for your transport people, they get 2 bodies at once.

I wish the darn TSA hadn't banned the liquids as I had planned on bringing, for Jay and I, just a little of the "liquid good stuff" to wet the whistle on the plane ride over. Oh well, I guess water from the plane will do :( . Unless TAP Air serves port on board their flights. But I like the idea of stopping by Vinlogia on Sunday, just to prime the engine of course :yumyum:
Now how do we get my bottle of old Colheita on board? How about a leather Bota bag?
Roy, you on this flight too?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

This is my outbound flight: TAP flight 114, which departs Newark at 9:15 p.m. on Saturday?

We can arrange for a get together on Sunday before dinner at VinoLogia for you, Jay, David, possibly Stewart, Mario and me. It would be a fun way to get acquainted.

Roy
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

So it looks like you guys will be kicking off about 36 hours earlier than the first planned tasting in VNG - would you like Alex, Chris and I to bring you some supplies of asprin and vitamin supplements plus 3 extra liver's on Wednesday just in case your bodies start to give in with all that extra port :?:

It would be a real shame if you have all drunk so much port by Friday evening that you find yourself leaving all that Nacional 31 to us slow starters :P

Derek
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

You'll need a 4th liver for me :-)
I'm arriving on Saturday night (after spending the day in London).

-Dave-
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy, it looks like you, Jay, and I are all on the same outbound flight Saturday. Totally cool 8)

David,
If you could meet us at the Porto airport at about 8:30am Sunday...and bring 3 Mimosas for us... :lol: :lol:

Derek, very nice of you, but could you bring me 2 livers. Just in case I need a spare!

I figure I'm just going to head to rehab when I get home to sober up :twisted:

I think it's a great idea to meet at VinoLogia with all of you.

As for dinner on Sunday night I know David, Jay, and I talked about meeting somewhere Sunday night for dinner. After VinoLogia, we can head out to dinner. David and Jay, this sound good to you?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Given the new security arrangements on airlines do you think I will have to put the livers in the hold or will I get away with them in hand baggage?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

You will probably want to go to the hotel, upon arrival. Check in, unpack and kick back for awhile. We'll probably all travel to your hotel (Mario & I stay in a less "luxurious" setting) and then meet up in the late afternoon. I'll introduce you to a couple of spots and show you a few cool Oporto spots. Then we can do VinoLogia and dinner. We won't stay out late.

Honestly, I am far more concerned with the UK guys as I know of the consumption ability of the Yanks and their hollow legs, if last trip is any indication. :drunk: The UK folks are always the ones to start spitting way early in the game. :scholar: :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek
I think they would classify as "Medical supplies" and those are still allowed as carry-on :shock:

Roy,
All kidding aside, I know it won't be until after noon that I get out and start checking the place out. By the time we get to the hotel, check in, get settled, maybe a quick 1/2 hr nap, clean-up, then ready to hit the streets, it will be the afternoon.

I think you got a good idea about meeting at the hotel Sunday afternoon.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Honestly, I am far more concerned with the UK guys as I know of the consumption ability of the Yanks and their hollow legs, if last trip is any indication. :drunk: The UK folks are always the ones to start spitting way early in the game. :scholar: :mrgreen:
Now that's what I call a challenge :D - let's see who falls face first in the lagare first :shock:

Alex and I are meeting up this weekend for some training. We have decided to break ourselves in gently and are only planning to open 6 bottles - Nacional 58, Nacional 64, Graham's 63, Sandeman 63, Taylor's "Special Quinta" 1950 and some imposter from SA that Alex has in the cellar. Our partner's are joining us so I can only assume Alex has it in mind to give the SA stuff to the girls :P

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote: let's see who falls face first in the lagare first :shock:
Derek
OK, who's bringing the video camera :twisted: :twisted:

And we promise never to show it anyone outside of the group :evil: :evil:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy,

There is a saying in the UK (particularly in golf and rugby circles) that "what happens on tour stays on tour" - your suggestion seems to fit this perfectly 8)

Derek